2006 FJR1300AE

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The way I see it, when we drop our bikes (and we all know that our time is coming if we haven't already done so), this clutchless thing will save us from having to buy new clutch and gear levers. Great money savings I say!!

Everyone booed when they introduced in F1, then they booed when Ferrari put it in production..then they booed when Audi group put it on their cars...now it is the way to go.
I understand your point but still, many people do not think it is a good idea and many people do not like it. Sponsors and big companies say it is the way to go, but that does not make it so.

An automatic transmission costs more on a vehicle (usually $1000 on a new vehicle). In the end this move on bikes will cost more to the rider. If it is tested and true to the fact that it has superior braking ability in all conditions to what I have now, I may buy into it, otherwise leave it to the scooters and the afraid.

Riding is shifting gears.

I would very much likee this shift set-up as long as it comes with nitrous. Otherwise, to each his/her own.

One additional feature would have to include an extended trailing arm/driveshaft combo as well as a bubble hump windscreen.

How long do you think before somebody hooks up a programmable shift /rpm computer to really dial it in for the drags, since the mechanicals are already there? :stunned:

I have electronic shift on one of my 4 wheelers, I bought it that way because I would like to have a machine available for women as well as my son who had trouble shifting with his foot (2lb's when he was born, has trouble running)

It is a bit different, as its just a solonoid that moves the shifter lever.

He loves it and I actually have fun on it occasionally.... Don't get me wrong, I would never buy an Electric Shifting bike.. much less an FJR... that is just retarded, ( sorry all you retarded folks out there) but Im interested in the engineering aspect of it and would love to take it for a ride...

Not sure why they would offer it up first on an FJR... that is just downright Disrespectful... What are you thinking Yamaha...

At any rate... Will the real FJR owners please Stand up !!!!!!!!

'05 for me... :)

What are you thinking Yamaha...
Don't loose sight of the fact that Yamaha said, "Yamaha has listened to the owners and have given us what we want." So, everyone that coveted an electronic shifter come out of the closet and confess... :haha:

Alan

What are you thinking Yamaha...
Don't loose sight of the fact that Yamaha said, "Yamaha has listened to the owners and have given us what we want." So, everyone that coveted an electronic shifter come out of the closet and confess... :haha:

Alan
I admit it, it was me. :ph34r:

Three words . . . .

Dee, Dee, Dee . . . .

My personal opinion is that to get a BASIC driver's license EVERYONE should demonstrate competency on a Motorcycle (with Brake/Clutch/Shift), and in a Manual Transmission automobile. This should include some type of near limit handling testing.

I think that demonstrating competency in these two area will ensure that a driver has enough brain capacity and motor skills to improve the chances of the rest of us who have to drive with these morons on a daily basis . . . . . I would feel truly safer on the road if standards like this existed. But what about the 30% of the American public that couldn't pass these tests, even if they tried?? Screw 'em! They don't deserve to share the road with the rest of us. Here's your bus pass . . . . .

Once you pass your test, you want to drive a brain dead automatic with no steering feedback, go for it, but lets not use that as a starting point for skill assessment.

In Sport Rider Magazine (oct 05) they indicate that there will indeed be two versions of the FJR 1300.  The main difference between the two models is the electronic transmission on the E model.  Apparently "All the rider does is tell the ECU to change gears by either a pair of buttons on the left handlebar (thumb operated for downshifts, index finger for upshifts) or a lever residing in the conventional gear lever's location, which is attached to a sensor unit, not the transmission.  There is no clutch lever; the electro-hydrolic gearbox not only controls shifting, but also manipulates clutch action on take-off, stopping, and shifting in both acceleration and deceleration."  Adds 17.6 lbs.  There are other changes with the E version to read about but thought this would be the one you all would appreciate (or not)reading about.
VFRMike
OneWheelDrive has an article about a 3rd party electronic shift system called Shift-FX. It adds 8.7lbs to the bike and they reviewed one installed on a Honda F4i.

P1012017.jpg

The review is favorable - here's a paragraph from it:

Toward the end of the ride I’m no longer paying attention to the ShiftFX, it’s comfortable and second nature, and I’m relaxed - other than the occasional rip through the ratios for science’s sake.  My hand is never leaving the grip and no control is ever lost, then it strikes me that this is precisely why the system makes sense; valuable attention is not squandered on my imprecise size 12’s manipulating small levers through clumsy boots.

This doesn't apper to be a tiptronic transmission. Triptronic transmissions downshift automatically when comming to a complete stop. It appers just to shift in a normal way. The site regarding the ShiftFX states there is a "find netural button". If it works the same way, does the Yamaha have a 'find netural button'?

I wonder how this auto shifting feature would work on a steep hill at a stop? Does first gear behave differently? Does it slip when starting off? :huh:

I'm wondering if we're not making out to be more complex than it really is. I guess we won't know until someone rides one, but, I'm guessing it would act like a car. When you're in a car on a steep hill, if you don't have the brake on, it will coast back. When you hit the gas, it goes.

Stunters that are used to clutching up wheelies will have a helluva time with this one :D

2.7% taller gear in the rear. Looks like 3.56 is the new rear ratio and was achieved by removing one tooth from the ring gear. Good for a 100 rpm drop at cruising speed. Something closer to the Venture ratio of 3.33 would have been a little more preferable for the high speed runners amongst us. A step in the right direction though!

I think the Cobalt Cooker will remain in my garage for a few more years. I will give mama a couple of years to work out the new kinks. Perhaps Yamaha will donate a bike for a prize at the Reno gathering. Should I win I will be glad to give everyone an extensive write up of the Pros and Cons of the 06 v 05. I think I could make room in the garage for another friend…

:tease:

azbikergirl

I'm with you ;) :D , I like to shift just put a bigger alternator on it with cruise control and we'd be happy.great to see you on this board.

rogerfjrfaster :p

Drooling allover my keyboard.....

From the French website on the FJR1300AS 2006:

FJR1300AS

La FJR1300 a déjà reçu de nombreuses récompenses et a été élue moto de l'année trois années d'affilée par la presse européenne. La FJR, avec son moteur à injection et son châssis en aluminium, est une GT sportive de référence reconnue par tous. La toute nouvelle FJR1300AS adopte un nouveau système électronique de contrôle de la boîte, développé par YAMAHA (YCC-S). Cette nouvelle technologie vous permet de changer de vitesse sans avoir à débrayer ! Moins d'efforts et de fatigue, plus de plaisir lorsque vous roulez. Ce système utilise un calculateur dédié afin de changer de vitesse rapidement et sans à coup, que vous utilisiez la commande au guidon ou le sélecteur. Pour rouler toute l'année confortablement, la FJR1300AS est équipée de poignées chauffantes de série.

2006_FJR1300AS_Photo_01_tcm27-91158.jpg

2006_FJR1300AS_Photo_02_tcm27-91161.jpg

2006_FJR1300AS_Photo_03_tcm27-91164.jpg

2006_FJR1300AS_Photo_04_tcm27-91167.jpg

2006_FJR1300AS_Photo_06_tcm27-91173.jpg

2006_FJR1300AS_Detail_01_tcm27-91140.jpg

2006_FJR1300AS_Detail_02_tcm27-91143.jpg

2006_FJR1300AS_Detail_03_tcm27-91146.jpg

2006_FJR1300AS_Detail_04_tcm27-91149.jpg

2006_FJR1300AS_Detail_05_tcm27-91152.jpg

-Flere

This is most interesting:

2006_FJR1300AS_Detail_04_tcm27-91149.jpg

It looks like this is the "E" version. Note there is no clutch lever, there is no tie rod to the shift lever, and the clutch line disappears into the back of the bike.

I have to believe that sensor monitors the shifts to identify the gear for the display and computer.

Not unlike something I am working on right now for '03 - '05 bikes. Shhhhh! :der:

-BD

Last edited by a moderator:
Know what I find interesting?

Look at the LCD display below, specifically, that little yellow light.

Is that a freaking "shift" light? Geeesh, they went all out ont the display, didn't they. Not sure why we need a shift light, but what they hey, more bling.

2006_FJR1300AS_Detail_01_tcm27-91140.jpg

That would be the "Oh Shit!" light, indicating an impending whoops!
Well, well, well...... as everyone knows, I could surely use one of those!

But then, way back when......so coulda your mama!

:bleh: