2006 FJR1300AE

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good thing you are all not in charge. Otherwise we would all still be driving tractors....
... Proof positive of one of the signs of the downfall of the good ol US of A.  No innovation accepted here, move right along.
Dude, takin' it a bit extreme, ain't ya? Read carefully before you take things out of context to drive a point.

Not one person here thinks that innovation should be stopped. Making things BETTER by using new TECHNOLOGY is the American way and is the reason we ride FJRs in the first place. It is certainly the reason we are all talking about the '06.

Now, like I said, doing something because you CAN does not mean you SHOULD.

If I invented a vibrating toothbrush driven by a 3.5 hp Briggs & Stratton engine motor it would certainly be COOL and it would certainly brush my teeth BETTER, but it would also certainly take the FUN and USEFULNESS out of it.

-BD

Last edited by a moderator:
There's a big difference between 'better' and 'different'.

I don't see clutchless as being better, but, I definitely see it as being different.

To me, better would be keeping the clutch, but, then implement the new clutchless technology to allow electronically controlled upshifting/downshifting, but still allow the manual clutch usage if/when needed.

To each his own opinion, but I think the first report of the E model will be a positive one. I'm sure it won't be perfect for everyone, as is anything. But just for a second imagine yourself on the FJR with 3/4 to wide open throttle tapping the upshift button... can you imagine the feeling of little if not any acceleration loss. I'm remembering my 383 muscle car backed with a TH400 with the racing clutches with NO shifting lag (also had manual valve body, you had to shift up or down)

I don't mean to compare it to a auto tranny, it isn't, but I too was thinking WTF when they announced the E version but now I'm thinking it might not be all that bad.

I would like to see a functioning clutch lever tied in with the system. I'm sure that would make it far to complicated.

Alex

-keeping mine.... for now

But just for a second imagine yourself on the FJR with 3/4 to wide open throttle tapping the upshift button... can you imagine the feeling of little if not any acceleration loss.
I can do it now on my 04, by tapping up on the gear lever with my foot and not touching the clutch.

But just for a second imagine yourself on the FJR with 3/4 to wide open throttle tapping the upshift button... can you imagine the feeling of little if not any acceleration loss.
I can do it now on my 04, by tapping up on the gear lever with my foot and not touching the clutch.
ok - then imagine this. you're a commuter and every day you're sitting in traffic where it's not completely stopped, rather, you're inching along with the occasional stop/go/stop/go. now, imagine not having to worry about having your left forearm look like popeye's after the hundreds of times that you will have to engage/disengage the clutch. lane-splitters need not reply.

or, imagine this. sitting on a steep hill at a redlight. the line of cars in the right turning lane is about 8-10 deep. right-on-red turns are being made and you're inching your way towards the top of the hill. might be nice to not have to worry about stalling the bike or hitting that magical spot of leaving off the brake, hitting the throttle, and disengaging the clutch. not a problem for me, but, i've seen many have problems on the route from my house to the main roads.

for those 2 examples, it would be nice.

but, for me, these few benefits are not enough to convince me to do away with the traditional methods.

I've performed clutch less shifts, but have always unloaded the engine just a tad, I would think the tranny would grenade after quite a few clutch less full throttle shifts. The E model will use the clutch for every shift, just disengage and engage it quicker than our hand could ever react. I would think that would be much more forgiving than slamming the gear shifter under a full load. I could be wrong, wouldn't be the first time.

but, for me, these few benefits are not enough to convince me to do away with the traditional methods.
+1

Exactly my opinion also. I just don't see the point in bashing a new technology before anyone has learned of its real world performance. This topic is just like when ABS first came to the FJR. Most riders thought it was ridiculous. Now with some time elapsed I would bet that half, if not more, of all owners think it is great.

Hahaha,

All the detractors of ths new bike would all still be bitching if this was a Europe only model and not available here.

LOL

XJRGUY

The electric shifter thing doesn't bother me. I can get one without. They make it optional! What still chaps my hide about mama Yamaha is that we still don't get access to color choices. It's plastic! Why can't we have a choice of colors???? The Euro Desert Metallic is awesome! Can't have it in the states though! Red??? Still hasn't been made available here! It can't cost anymore to make more color choices available...well there is always 2007!!! Are you listening Cypress???

default_black%20eye.gif

ScooterG:

Let me put it in really REALLY simple terms:

The new bike weighs more, but the engine is the same. That means it's SLOWER!!!

Remember "New Coke" and "Pepsi One"?

People want to buy a tip-tronic bike--not my problem. That is really not my issue. It is simply my opinion that people won't buy it.

They didn't improve the engine, they didn't improve the suspension and they added LBS, which are pure shit if you get caught on a muddy, dirt road, or get caught in all kinds of adverse conditions. I had a bike with LBS and it SUCKS! I'd rather stay off the front brake in adverse conditions than have to depend on the ABS to prevent the front wheel coming out from under me.

So none of the go-forward stuff was improved, but the bike is heavier. Whoopie.

It's simple: I'll keep my '04 and enjoy it!

OK. Heavier, no more HP or torque = SLOWER!

I haven't seen any performance specs yet. Anyone know if the new versions are faster than the old? That would sure be cool if they were, cuz then I could really impress my cousin SueBob, and maybe..... :thumbup:

booger

ScooterG:

The new bike weighs more, but the engine is the same.  That means it's SLOWER!!!

People want to buy a tip-tronic bike--not my problem.  That is really not my issue.  It is simply my opinion that people won't buy it.

They didn't improve the engine, they didn't improve the suspension and they added LBS, which are pure shit if you get caught on a muddy, dirt road, or get caught in all kinds of adverse conditions.  I had a bike with LBS and it SUCKS!  I'd rather stay off the front brake in adverse conditions than have to depend on the ABS to prevent the front wheel coming out from under me.

So none of the go-forward stuff was improved, but the bike is heavier.  Whoopie.

I see your point. But I, as well as many others I am sure, couldn't give a rat's ass about making the fjr faster, more powerful, able to leap tall buildings in a single bound. You hinge the FJR's value and worth strictly on its power and weight. Well then, there are better choices out there for you.

Its got plenty of power for me. More than I need or use. Sure its fun to play occasionally, and I would not refuse more horsepower, but as far as I am concerned, unneeded and unnecessary. Engine is good as is. So it gains a few measly pounds and is infintesmally slower. BFD! And with that new trick E-clutch, it actually may be quicker now that it will shift quicker.

Suspension? Typical OEM. What stock bike out there can't be vastly improved by aftermarket suspension pieces.

However, they did address many minor issues, making it better IMHO.

As far as linked brakes, I have never had them. But I think they are a good thing for 80-90% of us around here. Sure there are a few specific situtations where they may not be ideal, but you could say that about anything. As for muddy, dirt roads -- stay off them! I don't ride down them on a bike like the fjr, though ABS would probably correct stupidity in that situation. Get an adventure tourer!

That's the rub - we all have a vision of what the perfect fjr is, and not too many of them are the same. Though I am guessing most wouldn't mind a little more comfort and convienance. Not Goldwing. Not ST1300. FJR with balls and comfort.

As for you HP guys, why not go out and get a Hayabusa? ZX-12? ZZR-1200/1400? Or, if you want more sport in your sport-touring, Ducati, Triumph, VFR, are out there.

The Euro Desert Metallic is awesome!
I agree. I live at the end of a 5 mile long dirt road. Anything to hide the dust.. Can't wash it *every* day.. the water does more harm than good.

and blue may as well be black... which shows every particle of dust..

Is it simply a matter of units sold and return on investment? Geesh, if Yama would just advertise a bit, realize the market IS there, get away from PDP, then the numbers would be there to justify multiple colors for the NAmerica market.

This diatribe posted in the sole hope that MamaYama is recording our inputs..

don't know about you guys...but I like the clutchless shift idea.
Everyone booed when they introduced in F1, then they booed when Ferrari put it in production..then they booed when Audi group put it on their cars...now it is the way to go.

Same thing when Fuel injection was first introduced, ABS, disc breaks,..etc..

The only thing worries me it is the first year of production...and there might be some bugs. It might be a winner or a big loser. Is this the time to take risks?
Yeah, what he said. Although I am not interested in the E-shifting, even if I were, there is no way I would by the first, or second year production of it.

Not really interested in the e-shift gizmo. I remember when most cars only came with a manual tranny. Nowadays 90% of cars only come with an auto. I guess it's the trend I don't feel comfortable with. I would hate to see some future bikes only coming with an e-shift. As far as the extra weight - it is a relevant issue - an additional 10 pounds here, 20 pounds there - it ends up reducing the amount of gear you can safely carry. And linked brakes suck. I just don't see any need for them with ABS. When are they adding the Air Bag?

Sorry, I prefer to shift myself. Even my car (55 Chevy) is manual. I pulled and rebuild the engine last year and thought about switching to an auto, but just didn't seem right. Too much fun to drive the other way.

ScooterG:

The new bike weighs more, but the engine is the same.  That means it's SLOWER!!!

People want to buy a tip-tronic bike--not my problem.  That is really not my issue.  It is simply my opinion that people won't buy it.

They didn't improve the engine, they didn't improve the suspension and they added LBS, which are pure shit if you get caught on a muddy, dirt road, or get caught in all kinds of adverse conditions.  I had a bike with LBS and it SUCKS!  I'd rather stay off the front brake in adverse conditions than have to depend on the ABS to prevent the front wheel coming out from under me.

So none of the go-forward stuff was improved, but the bike is heavier.  Whoopie.

I see your point. But I, as well as many others I am sure, couldn't give a rat's ass about making the fjr faster, more powerful, able to leap tall buildings in a single bound. You hinge the FJR's value and worth strictly on its power and weight. Well then, there are better choices out there for you.

Its got plenty of power for me. More than I need or use. Sure its fun to play occasionally, and I would not refuse more horsepower, but as far as I am concerned, unneeded and unnecessary. Engine is good as is. So it gains a few measly pounds and is infintesmally slower. BFD! And with that new trick E-clutch, it actually may be quicker now that it will shift quicker.

Suspension? Typical OEM. What stock bike out there can't be vastly improved by aftermarket suspension pieces.

However, they did address many minor issues, making it better IMHO.

As far as linked brakes, I have never had them. But I think they are a good thing for 80-90% of us around here. Sure there are a few specific situtations where they may not be ideal, but you could say that about anything. As for muddy, dirt roads -- stay off them! I don't ride down them on a bike like the fjr, though ABS would probably correct stupidity in that situation. Get an adventure tourer!

That's the rub - we all have a vision of what the perfect fjr is, and not too many of them are the same. Though I am guessing most wouldn't mind a little more comfort and convienance. Not Goldwing. Not ST1300. FJR with balls and comfort.

As for you HP guys, why not go out and get a Hayabusa? ZX-12? ZZR-1200/1400? Or, if you want more sport in your sport-touring, Ducati, Triumph, VFR, are out there.
Lots of us DO give a rat's ass about power. It's not a binary choice: "Hayabusa or GoldWing". It was a critical factor in our choosing THIS bike, not an ST1300, and not one of the smaller, sportier Beemers (prior to the K1200S).

Have you noticed discussions about Staintune and HoleShot cans and full exhaust? PowerCommanderIIIusb and the various maps? That's not just about smoothing out vibrations. You should talk to Ivan at Ivan's Performance Products or Dale Walker at HoleShot (Good Advice: Don't do it at the same time). Both are of the opinion that more horsepower is almost ALWAYS better. Ivan did my custom map (and put in the Wilbers and Spiegler stuff) and optimized the performance from the HoleShot cans.

More weight with the same suspension DOES mean less carrying capacity. But yeah, you are absolutely right that there isn't a stock suspension that can't be improved.

As for staying off dirt roads...I'm sorry but that is TOTALLY absurd! I don't DELIBERATELY ride on them, but sometimes the dirt is between two pieces of pavement in unexpected places. We don't always have pristine pavement and we don't always have those perfect Southern California days. Here, in the North East, you may face ALL kinds of road conditions throughout the year. You may find sand on your favorite road in February (dropped my FZ1 in that--spent 8 months in recovery and physical therapy). You may find mud on a tertiary road--or late season ice in the shade. Driveways have gravel, so do places you may want to stop. And, just after the rain starts, the roads get VERY slippery as the oil is lifted. You really want to brake gently and not use the front much then. It takes a bit of downpour to wash the oil off, then braking is fine.

I'm not talking about taking to fire roads and logging trails on my FJR, just realistic recognition that not all roads are pristine macadam, and they appear at unexpected times. "Oops! I need to turn around, go home and get my KTM Duke--here's a dirt road where I didn't expect one."

Look, maybe Yamaha knows more about its market than I do--But I suspect for every rider like you, ScooterG, there's 10 like me who think they've screwed up and won't buy this new bike. We don't have to argue about it--the sales figures and the responses here and on the other board to this new version will tell the tail of who is right and who is wrong. When manufacturers make bikes heavier and slower, frequently sales for that bike fall.

I'm not even talking about the clutchless bike--I don't like that they've added even more weight, but some may like it. I KNOW that draggers like the electric clutchless shifting that kills the engine briefly when you are shifting. So maybe it WILL help. But I also suspect that the after-market kits for clutchless, push-button shifting add a hell of a lot less weight.

As for those other bikes: I wanted power, a sporting ride, but with shaft drive. I didn't want a jelly-bean crotch rocket to torture my back and wrists. NONE of those other bikes you mention fit the bill. The K1200S and K1200R do--but I STILL don't like LBS. Also, two years ago, neither of them was available--and they cost a $#!tload more!