2007 Altitude Surging Problem - Members Wanted

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've already written to Motorcycle Consumer News.

I still think the best thing everyone can do is file a complaint with NHTSA if you have this problem.

I'm just going to pay them whatever they want with the thought I'll get everything back when we get to arbitration. Right now I just need documentation that shows they attempted to solve my problem while they seem to be going out of their way to stop me from getting it. BTW, the Service Mgr said me doing my own 600 mile TBS with mercury sticks is no good - you must use their special "digital gages" - that's fine - charge me for that too, thank you. Of course, they're already booked through the 14th.

The Service Manager assures me he personally talked directly with Yamaha about this on Tuesday.

My wife asked a good question today: "Why'd you buy a bike that didn't come with a warrantee, you should know better than that?"

My wife asked a good question today: "Why'd you buy a bike that didn't come with a warrantee, you should know better than that?"
It has one, but the value of the warranty is in the dealer performing the work. Have you tried another dealer? There are many documented cases on this board of poor dealer performance that a change in dealer has solved. I know that sucks, but it sounds like you already have a lot of effort in this already. Check on the board ask around for a dealer recommendation in your area.

BTW, the Service Mgr said me doing my own 600 mile TBS with mercury sticks is no good - you must use their special "digital gages" - that's fine - charge me for that too, thank you.

You have two problems - your poor running FJR and an asshat dealer. What the service manager told you is complete and utter bullshit. It's that simple, and unfortunately not all that uncommon. Regardless, he can't be trusted in anything he says. Especially:

The Service Manager assures me he personally talked directly with Yamaha about this on Tuesday.

You need to find a new dealer. Or accept that they are going to give you the run around and all kinds of misinformation. It's that simple.

My build date is 11/06 with a VIN number ~1800 and I am getting surging, +7 on CO and raising the idle to about 1200 rpm's has helped but not eliminated the surging. It makes you wonder if this problem is a basic design flaw, then all '07 should be surging at altitude. It is more likely a bad component (like the issue with the TBS) or corrupted data in the ECU. I feel Yamaha will solve the problem. I did call Yamaha customer Service to file a complaint.

BTW, the Service Mgr said me doing my own 600 mile TBS with mercury sticks is no good - you must use their special "digital gages"
It's true the mercury sticks might not be that accurate to precisely measure vacuum, and I thought the same thing, but they work better than 4 gauges that you don't know if they're exactly the same to begin with to adjust the other 3 cylinders like #3.

My solution is to use a Craftsman vacuum gauge I bought from Sears on #3, then the mercury sticks to adjust the other 3 cylinders. I'm still waiting for my mercury sticks to do the adjustment. However, I don't think the airscrews have a significant impact at all when the throttle is open; they're mostly for idle.

The typical TB adjustment would have an impact on high rpm operation, but Yamaha doesn't even list it on the service manual. This was referred to as 'unauthorized TB synch' somewhere on this board, and it consists of adjusting the throttle plates to a 'base' one, which I don't know which one it is (there must be one, or the throttle wouldn't operate). I don't plan to mess with them unless I see a big enough difference at 3 or 4K rpms that warrants doing that. That's the way most TBs are synched, since all other manufacturers seal their air screws. Yamaha is doing it backwards, for some strange reason.

Anyway, I have an idea what it is, and will start a separate thread right now. We are on our own, at least for a while. Geez.

Last edited by a moderator:
:yahoo: I'm having surging when coming out of the mountians of Colorado. 2007 FJR1300A. Happens twice on the way out of the mountains back to the city. Have 2000 miles on the bike and has happened 3 times. Have not contacted the dealer yet but will soon. I have only had the bike a month. Have not tried to shut it off and on.

:yahoo: I'm having surging when coming out of the mountians of Colorado...
And does that makes you happy? Just kidding. Bet you wanted to post this smiley instead: :angry2:

Sorry you have the same affliction as many of us, but at least yours doesn't sound that severe. I'm hoping I can tame mine to an acceptable level with the TB synch and raising the idle. Take care. And yes, raise hell with Yamaha and file a complaint; we need to make as much noise as possible to get this fixed by Yamaha. Take care.

JC

To TOPHOG, TruWrecks, and ELP JC and everyone else on this forum who has taken an aggressive approach towards this problem, I want to say thanks. I personally don't have much machinical ability, but I am doing what I can. I have filed complaints with Yamaha and NHTSA. I for one would be willing to help in any way I can. Don't know what else to do.

Greg

It's not a TOO RICH condition, it is total loss of FI control. It's either 'off the map' or totally confused as to exactly how it should handle the current input data.
Absolutely. However, when that happens, ECU goes back to 'default' mode, which is sea level conditions, to protect the engine. But since we happen to be at altitude, it's too much fuel, hence rich. We both are right.
JC,

That is the problem......the ECU does NOT go to any 'default' mode since it does NOT think it has a problem.

To fix the problem it's going to take a dedicated technician with some good data aquisition tools to actually 'capture'

a failure.

It's already been proven that replacing the ECU will not fix it (Gumba has done that twice) and a PCIII won't fix the

problem but it IS more fun to ride and messing with the CO settings blindly (without having a 3-gas EGA attached via

RivNuts or something similar in the exhaust headers) will do nothing. To set the CO% using the one byte register in the

diagnostic mode, you need to have the EGA attached. You are using the -128-+128 value in that CO register for each

cylinder to compensate for Injector patterns, fuel pressure, intake tract casting irregularities, gasket interference and exhaust system

pulses fed back to the intake.

Mick

"JC,

That is the problem......the ECU does NOT go to any 'default' mode since it does NOT think it has a problem.

To fix the problem it's going to take a dedicated technician with some good data aquisition tools to actually 'capture'

a failure.

It's already been proven that replacing the ECU will not fix it (Gumba has done that twice) and a PCIII won't fix the

problem but it IS more fun to ride and messing with the CO settings blindly (without having a 3-gas EGA attached via

RivNuts or something similar in the exhause headers) will do nothing. To set the CO% using the one byte register in the

diagnostic mode, you need to have the EGA attached. You are using the -128-+128 value in that CO register for each

cylinder to compensate for Injector patterns, fuel pressure, intake tract casting irregularities, gasket interference and exhaust system

Mick"

Hi Mick...you sound lots more experienced than I and I promise to never ask this again...but doesn't disabling the critical sensor(s) such as O2 or Intake manifold pressure force the ECU into a default basemap or "Able" running condition as explained in the SM and generate an error code?...Wouldn't forcing a default mode and error code allow the basemap to control the engine, and wouldn't that temporarily eliminate some of the issues and errors associated with closed-loop operation as some have experienced if it's defective?...If the closed-loop operation is worse, then that can be addressed with Yamaha if they can substantiate and/or admit it's errors...I'l bet they never do, even if identified, and fix it next model cycle Worldwide...I've asked this twice before elsewhere but got no response...please clarify this if you or others can and I'll hide in the woods and watch.

Gary in Fairbanks

Going from New Castle, CO to Snowmass Village (about an hour and about 3000 ft. change in elevation) I noticed a severe surging problem. It was bad enough that I pulled over to stop and restart the bike, which seemed to cure the problem. It is obvious to see how dangerous this could have been. When I get a chance I will file a complaint as well with the NHTSA. Ultimately, when I return to Idaho I will contact my dealer about the issue.

"JC,That is the problem......the ECU does NOT go to any 'default' mode since it does NOT think it has a problem.

a failure.

RivNuts or something similar in the exhause headers) will do nothing. To set the CO% using the one byte register in the

Mick"

Hi Mick...you sound lots more experienced than I and I promise to never ask this again...but doesn't disabling the critical sensor(s) such as O2 or Intake manifold pressure force the ECU into a default basemap or "Able" running condition as explained in the SM and generate an error code?...Wouldn't forcing a default mode and error code allow the basemap to control the engine, and wouldn't that temporarily eliminate some of the issues and errors associated with closed-loop operation as some have experienced if it's defective?...If the closed-loop operation is worse, then that can be addressed with Yamaha if they can substantiate and/or admit it's errors...I'l bet they never do, even if identified, and fix it next model cycle Worldwide...I've asked this twice before elsewhere but got no response...please clarify this if you or others can and I'll hide in the woods and watch.

Gary in Fairbanks
I completely agree with Mick here. This is a fix that will take some doing on the part of Yamaha. It is going to be way beyond backyard tuner bandaids, or even aftermarket folks like Dynojet. Think about it. The problem arises under very specific conditions of altitude and throttle application. Unless you can come up with a fix that only affects those combinations of inputs, you are changing the entire operational spectrum of the bike just to cover the small part of it where it is malfunctioning. The fact that the problems came up under such limited circumstances is what led me to believe initially it was bad ECU programming. As I have said before, it smells like something related to factory programing around deleting sensor(s), meeting tougher emissions, semi-automaitc gearbox, and frankly: carelessness. It is a corner of the input matrix not envisioned by the programmers, who as we all know are poorly fed slaves locked in boxes in the basement of the Yamaha factory.

Now keep in mind any fix Yamaha does make (if they ever do) still needs to meet a) US emissions, and b ) Euro emissions, c) retain drivability and d) be cost effective you can see the difficulty. In other words, the fix they come up with needs to affect only the conditions of operation where the problem occurs and not mess up the rest of the operating envelope (unlike the tuner bandaids), and not require, say, replacing all the electronics on the bike.

Gary, disconnecting the O2 sensor does not throw an error (at least none was read by my delaer, and no check engine light flashes). It does default the engine to a base map, in fact this is why you need to disconnect the O2 sensor for the PCIII to work (it works off the base open-loop map adding or deleting fuel). Otherwise the ECU + O2 sensor in closed-loop mode would try to defeat the PCIII. I doubt if the engine would run at all if you disconnect the MAP sensor, it would have no way to measure air.

All of the various fixes suggested are well-meaing, but I am afraid this is way beyond the resources of anyone without the ability to read, code, test, and debug Yamaha factory ECU's & sensors, has emissions testing equipment suitable for certifying EPA and euro complianace, and can look into design specs and know what was deleted or changed from Gen I to II, and from MY 06 to MY 07.

So we wait, report things to Yamaha and NHTSA, and hope no one gets killed or hurt bad if they are caught out by this problem trying to get out of the way of an 18-wheeler (for example). In the mean time a PCIII really helps but does not eliminate the problem. The bike is enjoyable and only mildly annoying in the situtations where I ride it (wide open spaces in the mountains and little traffic). Without the PCIII it is dangerous under any circumstances.

...Wouldn't forcing a default mode and error code allow the basemap to control the engine, and wouldn't that temporarily eliminate some of the issues and errors associated with closed-loop operation as some have experienced if it's defective?...If the closed-loop operation is worse, then that can be addressed with Yamaha if they can substantiate and/or admit it's errors...I'l bet they never do, even if identified, and fix it next model cycle Worldwide...I've asked this twice before elsewhere but got no response...please clarify this if you or others can and I'll hide in the woods and watch.
Gary in Fairbanks
Gary,

Just adding to what Al wrote above, you MIGHT have a different set of problems and rideability issues

if you kill a sensor or two. Try it.

These bikes are only running in 'closed loop' mode for a very small part of their duty cycle. It doesn't

happen until the engine load has been stable for a period of time (no WOT) above say 3,500RPM and never

at idle. When the failing bikes are in the failing mode, even pulling away from a traffic light is an adventure.

It is NOT just a minor surging issue.

Mick

Mick and Al are correct, but most of us already knew that. And who the heck said to fix the problem itself? I just want to make my bike more ridable to be able to wait for Yamaha to fix it at their convenience, that's all. And what the heck is wrong with hooking a bike to a dyno and EGA to make it run better? And in our case, to make sure it's running consistenty in all cylinders? Geez. Tons of people do it every day. Nobody is trying to rewrite the ECU or anything like that. I know damn well the freaking ECU is wrong, and just like changing the CO settings to +7 like some of you did made my surging much worse, some other changes could make it better; IT'S NOT the solution, but can IMPROVE things. Only Yamaha can fix the problem; nobody EVER suggested otherwise. Guess my contribution to this thread is over. Won't pollute it anymore gentlemen. Have a great weekend.

JC

Today's update:

After more calls to Yamaha Customer Service, they stepped into the fray between me and the dealer and authorized them to take my bike up the mountains and drive it for up to two hours. On Thursday, the dealer was requiring that I agree to pay $288 for them to test drive the bike - I refused. This requirement was presented about 10 seconds after they basically told me "Yamaha's position is that there's nothing wrong with the bike". Yamaha said they planned on doing the test yesterday. As of now, I haven't heard anything. The dealer is closed tomorrow and Monday so I'm not sure when I'll hear something.

I bought the bike less a month ago and it has less than 1,000 miles on it. The problem surfaced on my first trip into the mountains last Sunday. I have been actively complaining to both Yamaha Customer Service and the dealer for the four days they have been open this week and, even though the dealer has been uncooperative, I am somewhat satisfied that I am being taken seriously by Yamaha's Customer Service Department. This could change if the test, like others, does not demonstrate the problem.

Again, I would suggest that anyone experiencing a SEVERE surging issue with their 2007 and is not willing to live with it for the life of the bike, put the beer down, stop screwing around with your bike, and do the following:

1) File a formal complaint with the NHTSA.

2) Contact Yamaha Customer Service with the detail (have your VIN handy).

3) Take your bike into the dealer and demand that they fix a defect that makes the bike unsafe to operate under certain conditions.

The fact that less than a dozen bike owners have registered formal complaints with the NHTSA leads me to believe that this may actually be just an isolated problem rather than affecting all 2007's, or even a large number of them. Yamaha's first take that this is just "internet hysteria" may have some truth to it.

IF YOUR PROBLEM ISN'T SERIOUS ENOUGH TO TAKE THE TIME TO PUT INTO WRITING, THEN YOU DON'T HAVE A PROBLEM.

Seems to make sense to me. Mine is an 03 so it doesn't have this prob but it was a ticker and one of the very early ones so the dealer was in denial and it was a bitch to get it fixed. Once it became more well known it was much easier for people to get repaired but some dealers still are in the dark.

Be the sticky booger and don't give up until the bike is safe to ride and you are happy with it. Good luck.

Have there been any accidents or injuries? If so, please let me know.

It is pretty obvious that this is not going to be an easy fix (due to the removal of the BARO sensor), and I suspect the only way it will get corrected is if the government holds Yamaha's feet to the fire. You can help by filing a report if it has happened to you.

If anyone so much as drops a bike due to this, be sure to report it.

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems...ecallsearch.cfm

Click on FILE A COMPLAINT in the left hand side.

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/Consumer.cfm

Status
Not open for further replies.