2009 Iron Butt Rally - Official Daily Reports

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Iggy no longer needs a shock
{wave hands in non-descript manner}

These are not the droids you're looking for.....

Iggy never asked for anything during this time frame

{wave hands in non-descript manner}

These are not the droids you're looking for.....
:lol: :yahoo:
Can't wait to hear the story behind this one.

Go IGGY. Skooter and Turbo! :yahoo: :yahoo: :clapping: :clapping:

Looks like this didn't last

636311422_g5vgE-X3.jpg

The Former Suzuki Rotary Riders are StrugglingBarry Bertram, now on a Ninja 250, and Alex Harper, now on his THIRD bike (a BMW GS), were 9,000 to 10,000 points below what they need to qualify as finishers at the end of Leg 2. The enthusiasm they were exhibiting back in Spartanburg is noticeably absent in the voice mail messages they are leaving during the call-in bonuses. They are learning the hard way that the Iron Butt Rally requires a well-prepared bike and a well-prepared rider.

Just off the phone with SkooterG. The addiction to the forum exists even during the Iron Butt Rally. He asked me to update him on the the latest threads and post one for him.
He has successfully grabbed the three big bonuses around Gay and Thunder Bay and is currently headed west. He is feeling great. (Maybe one of those IBR highs?) He feels well rested and alert but plans on taking his rest bonus in a few hours. He ran into another rider who told him he looked like hell but he must not smell to bad...they served him at subway! :dribble:

He has an aggressive route back to Spokane. But he is in great spirits and feeling good about his third leg.

Oh and BeemerDon GET A CELL PHONE! He wants to cal you at 4 am.

:clapping:
Good Morning GSJane, That's why I'm up at 3 am, waiting for my wake up phone call from our man SkooterG. Go SkootyG!

Looks like this didn't last

I heard him talking with a few folks about possibly moving to the GS. The problem with the wing was that the stator/alternator (whatever those old dinasours had) had given up the ghost and he was literally running on a deep cell battery strapped to the passenger seat. He debated buying the GS or just running with the Wing which he said was "perfect otherwise" (Im thinking heat exuastion cause this comment). When I was leaving Santa Ana around 10:00pm, I saw his wife closing the deal on the GS, so I pretty much knew he was going to be on his 3rd bike then. Hopefully he can get a bike to last more than a few thousand miles this time....

Last edited by a moderator:
Good Morning GSJane, That's why I'm up at 3 am, waiting for my wake up phone call from our man SkooterG. Go SkootyG!

Don, seriously, get a cell phone. Hell even your ex-wife was telling me I need to convince you to get a cell phone! :headsetsmiley:

Don, seriously, get a cell phone. Hell even your ex-wife was telling me I need to convince you to get a cell phone! :headsetsmiley:

Yes Don get a fucking cell phone you dinosaur...

see you saturday.

R

Day 10 updates from Bob Wooldridge:

Wendy called around 1:00am (EST) to let me know she managed to get her rear tire replaced in Saskatoon and she was heading out for more Boni. The local Yamaha dealer, Pro line Sports had set aside a tire for her and waited around a little while but they went home well before the tow truck managed to get her there. I located a fellow BMW rider thru the Anonymous book and he said he'd be glad to help out an IBR rider. He called the owner of Pro Line at home, left a VM, then headed to the dealership. A cleaning crew was there so he managed to get them to open up for Wendy so she could do the tire change. A big thank you to Merv C. in Saskatoon for rescuing a Damsel in distress!!
The BMW Harley dealer in Grand Junction Colorado deserves a big THANK YOU for rescuing Margaret Pearts rally. They managed to get the parts overnited to rebuild the left side of her engine. The timing chain had jumped a cog and took out the exhaust valves on that side. Sam Kloberdang (sp) had her spend the nite at his house and she had plenty of time to plot out her routeand strategy to finish the rally dispite the 36 hours off the bike. She is well rested, has her strategy in place, and I think she's going to manage to be a finisher!

Bob St George just called. He's doing fine and his bike has not given him further trouble after yesterday's deer strike. He had pulled the panels and disconnected all wiring associated with the extra lites that got hammered by Bambi. It seems to have worked out fine.

News from the LDRiders mail list:

Wendy called around 1:00am (EST) to let me know she managed to get her rear

tire replaced in Saskatoon and she was heading out for more Boni. The local

Yamaha dealer, Pro line Sports had set aside a tire for her and waited

around a little while but they went home well before the tow truck managed

to get her there. I located a fellow BMW rider thru the Anonymous book and

he said he'd be glad to help out an IBR rider. He called the owner of Pro

Line at home, left a VM, then headed to the dealership. A cleaning crew was

there so he managed to get them to open up for Wendy so she could do the

tire change. A big thank you to Merv C. in Saskatoon for rescuing a Damsel

in distress!!

The BMW Harley dealer in Grand Junction Colorado deserves a big THANK YOU

for rescuing Margaret Pearts rally. They managed to get the parts overnited

to rebuild the left side of her engine. The timing chain had jumped a cog

and took out the exhaust valves on that side. Sam Kloberdang (sp) had her

spend the nite at his house and she had plenty of time to plot out her route

and strategy to finish the rally dispite the 36 hours off the bike. She is

well rested, has her strategy in place, and I think she's going to manage to

be a finisher!

Bob St George just called. He's doing fine and his bike has not given him

further trouble after yesterday's deer strike. He had pulled the panels and

disconnected all wiring associated with the extra lites that got hammered by

Bambi. It seems to have worked out fine.

This close to the end, I will try to do SPOT snapshots more often, but I need to beat feet to Spokane myself here in a while.

Here are riders as of 7:30am PDT..... SkooterG needs to wick it up a bit, I'm thinking... :huh:

SPOTs_Sep3_730amPDT.jpg

When I was leaving Santa Ana around 10:00pm, I saw his wife closing the deal on the GS, so I pretty much knew he was going to be on his 3rd bike then. Hopefully he can get a bike to last more than a few thousand miles this time....
Where was she buying a GS at 10pm?

Note to self: Bring ST1100 and FOR SALE sign to second checkpoint in 2011!

Here are riders as of 7:30am PDT..... SkooterG needs to wick it up a bit, I'm thinking... :huh:
With a mug like his, he'll be lucky to get back into the States...I hope he planned for a long border crossing...
I'm pretty sure SkooterG knows which way to twist the throttle :blink: But he's got some real time eater roads to get through before he gets to any roads that are big and fast. That border crossing will be a real crap shoot.

But he's got some real time eater roads to get through before he gets to any roads that are big and fast. That border crossing will be a real crap shoot.
And the Kanuckistanians enforce their roads speed limits very strictly. No "making up for lost time" like in Montana or N. Dakoda

When I was leaving Santa Ana around 10:00pm, I saw his wife closing the deal on the GS, so I pretty much knew he was going to be on his 3rd bike then. Hopefully he can get a bike to last more than a few thousand miles this time....
Where was she buying a GS at 10pm?
In the garage of the hotel. I guess she found someone who was selling it in the area. I dont know all of the specifics, but when the Goldwing had issues, I guess she found this as another alternate bike.