2009 Iron Butt Rally - Official Daily Reports

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just got off the phone with Jerry White.

He is in the northeast, and stopped to refuel. Just a short time after getting back underway, his motor started sputtering, serious lack of power, like it ran on 2-3 cylinders intermittently, etc. etc.

In other words.... he filled his bike at a crusty old BP station that must have been half gas, half water.

He is at a truck stop draining his bike of the shit fuel. The truck stop he is at only sells diesel, so he can't totally drain the bad gas since he must ride to a regular gas station to refuel.

'Natch, he refilled his aux cell with the crap-gas too, so, that will need to be drained, also. :(

Last edited by a moderator:
BOMBSHELL!!!!

Holy fucking shit, perennial front runner Jeff Earls has apparently lost his rally towel!! Ugh! He must now be in every photo himself to receive bonus points for the remaining 10 days.

Even then... he will suffer a 1000 point penalty when he fails to turn it in at the Finish Line. Very uncool. This year's IBR, 1000 points is a heavy hit. Like a good bonus thrown away.

Bet this doesn't slow down Jeff one iota.... the guy is a machine.

BOMBSHELL!!!!
Holy fucking shit, perennial front runner Jeff Earls has apparently lost his rally towel!! Ugh! He must now be in every photo himself to receive bonus points for the remaining 10 days.

Even then... he will suffer a 1000 point penalty when he fails to turn it in at the Finish Line. Very uncool. This year's IBR, 1000 points is a heavy hit. Like a good bonus thrown away.

Bet this doesn't slow down Jeff one iota.... the guy is a machine.

OUCH!!!!!!!

Jerry White reports apparent success with his fuel issue.

Dumping the water-gas and refilling with fresh fuel had his FJR behaving as advertised within short order.

He's back at it.

The Beemer finally gave it up... with no confidence in the K1200LT to make it to St Charles, the rider packed it in.

Bob Higdon, this year's rally architect (and former IBR scribe) was on SideStandUp last week and tonight -doing interviews.

Nice interviews and he gave a great overview of the rally (last week) and tonight a wonderful update on today's events as well as rally insight:

Last week's Interview(CLICKY)

Tonight (Day1) Interview(CLICKY)

..RJ

Thats a great post John and a very interesting listen.....

Looking forward to next weeks report.

R

A quick FJRForum rider update:
SkooterG, Bob St George and Terry Neale all appear to have gotten the Martha Vinyard bonus!

Iggy is dicking around in West Virgina.

Jerry White is dicking around in Kentucky, as is NMdcporter.

All for now....
Go skooter! I was worried they'd get hung up with the ferry schedules/breakdowns of ferries, crowds/obama stuff. Excellent! This is fun.

Jennyfer has a bit of history riding with her... she is using the aux cell and light brackets from the BBG Hell Week Blackbird.... B)

jenneyfer.jpg

FROM TOM AUSTIN's SCRIBE A more realistic biggie on Leg 1 is the 6,652 point Dike Bridge bonus on Chappaquiddick Island in Martha’s Vineyard, ...<truncated>...

On the night of 7/18/1969 Senator Edward Kennedy drove off this bridge, leaving one of his political aides, Mary Jo Kopechne, trapped in the car to drown. Because the ferry had stopped running for the night, Kennedy swam back over to the main island and did not report the accident until 10 hours later.
Well it seems that all this attention might have been a bit much for ol' Ted (CLICKY)

From KLR650.net:

"Originally Posted by Kbetts

IBA rider is Neil Ward of Canada (and MAYBE Norwich Ontario) on a KLR 650.... the ONLY single cylinder in the group."

This guy must be hardcore.

Enjoying the daily reports and of course the comments from the rest of the thread. My only addition is my admiration for something that I just don't think I could have done personally. I'm probably going to just 'shut-up' now and enjoy the rest of the reporting but I did want to acknowledge the riders and others posting in (the peanut gallery). :thumbsupsmiley: