2009 Iron Butt Rally - Official Daily Reports

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A quick update this morning for some of the riders:

A large number are in the Pittsburgh area this morning, including Ignacio, Jerry White, Davo the Aussie, Marbach, NMdcporter, Alex Harper on the sole remaining Rotary bike, Rick Sauter, Sal Terranova on his red ST1100.

Others are around Tennessee, including Greg Rice, Cdog Riley, Charlie Clemmer and 3-4 others.

All will start streaming to St Charles this morning, as they have to be there no later than 9pm CDT

Last edited by a moderator:
Heh.... just ran across this photo, thought I would share....

There was a joking thread a couple weeks back about FJR riders getting a manicure and/or pedicure prior to the Start.

Jerry White here took the pedicure seriously.... though they appear to have forgot to wax off his toe hairs! :lol:

jw_toe.jpg

From KLR650.net:
"Originally Posted by Kbetts

IBA rider is Neil Ward of Canada (and MAYBE Norwich Ontario) on a KLR 650.... the ONLY single cylinder in the group."

This guy must be hardcore.
Hey Cool I know that guy! AND yes he is from Norwich Ontario! Just hope he keeps an eye on the oil level.

As new FJR rider (converted from the BMW LT), it is a hoot following the IBR this year via the IronButt daily reports AND FJRForum... Although the pedicure shot may have been a bit much... ;)

So, my IBR rally jones is so bad I'm here on the FJR forum to read what I can:)

Thanks Warchild, for the posts...I remember that 2 years ago you co posted on STOwners...

'Course my favorites are Sal and Thane on their ST1100s and Maura and Tom Loftus on the 1300s...only a small bias...

So, my IBR rally jones is so bad I'm here on the FJR forum to read what I can:)
Thanks Warchild, for the posts...I remember that 2 years ago you co posted on STOwners...
Yeah, I tried to get to ST.N and AdvRider last time, but I am just too swamped to continue to do all three forums this time around. So I am just going to update things here.

Still, if you're inclined, feel free to pass this thread link out to the ST forums, that's fine with us.

Jerry White here took the pedicure seriously....
jw_toe.jpg
Wow! What's next? Tattoo? ;)

If that's not indicative of how DONE Jerry is with his previous brand, I don't know what is.

From KLR650.net:
"Originally Posted by Kbetts

IBA rider is Neil Ward of Canada (and MAYBE Norwich Ontario) on a KLR 650.... the ONLY single cylinder in the group."

This guy must be hardcore.
I once competed in the now defunct Waltz Across Texas Rally on a KLR650. I tied for 2nd in the 12 hour format. I also did a SS1000 on it. When configured properly, it's actually a decent rally bike for a day or two. The IBR would be another story altogether...

There are now reports that the sole Harley in the event, an older Harley-Davidson FLHT ridden by Bob Lyskowski, may be exhibiting what he is calling "sticking valves", and it's starting to look a little grim for him to make St. Charles in time. He is somewhere in Pennsylvania, I believe. Maybe he can toss in a can of Marvel Mystery oil into his fuel tank and see if that could help any.

It is currently raining in the Checkpoint location... sweet.... :D

I once competed in the now defunct Waltz Across Texas Rally on a KLR650. I tied for 2nd in the 12 hour format. I also did a SS1000 on it. When configured properly, it's actually a decent rally bike for a day or two. The IBR would be another story altogether...
Are you aware of Tim Yow's recent 17,409 mile epic ride from Key West to Ocean Beach in San Diego to Prudhoe Bay to Goose Bay and back to Key West on a KLR 650?

https://jasonjonas.org/spot/tripViewer.do?id=1506

https://forums.delphiforums.com/MCTourer/messages?msg=36997.1

Jim Puckett

Let's not forget Derek Dickson, he kicked ass in the MD2020. I expect good things from him.
Oh oh Matt, now you let the cat out! Derek was hoping to fly under the radar. Well, as long his name is out there now...I am betting 2:1 on a podium finish for him. Never have I met a more determined, focused individual. C'mon! 3 BBG's in a row last year. He's halfway crazy already! :lol:

Also, to keep the conversation lively: :jerry:

regarding:

If you intend to be on the podium at the Finish, you really needed to get this bonus.
Would the simple act of telling a rider (in a phone call), during the stage, that he was one of only 20 riders to do this, be kind of "undue assistance"? Of course, I wouldn't do it, for fear of a penalty, but I bet even that small bit of info would help the good riders. I suppose this would be a sort of "reverse blogging".

Would the simple act of telling a rider (in a phone call), during the stage, that he was one of only 20 riders to do this, be kind of "undue assistance"?
Not really, since riders will know their standings before they leave Checkpoint One, so it's going to be apparent to riders by then that they really should've gone after the Martha Vinyard's bonus to stay in podium contention.

Stranger things have happen, however. The fact of the matter is: there are so many variables/unknown factors/good-luck, bad-luck scenarios that at this point in the game, it is still too early to clearly determine the impact of forgoing the Martha's Vinyard bonus for those who selected another path.

Still.... I'm betting a lot of rider's will be kicking themselves tonight when they find out how (relatively) easy Martha's Vinyard was. Iggy will be bent outta shape, but, he may be crazy like a fox. I have little doubt he did scarf up a serious number of medium-sized bonii, and more importantly, he will arrive at St. Charles in relatively good shape, well rested, ready to Strike Big on Leg 2.

Conversely, those that went deep into the south will arrive in Chicago fairly hot, fried and wasted. This may bode ill for them on Leg Two. Remember, Leg One was the easy intro Leg. If riders arrive in St. Charles in a fried-meat-on-a-stick condition, and can't even see the air in front of them, and than are presented with a *60-page, 145 bonii filled Listing to contend with for Leg 2, they will be uber-fucked.

*[SIZE=8pt](I don't actually know the number of pages or bonii on Leg Two, but you get the idea...) [/SIZE]

A slight update regarding Jerry White.

I have learned that he now contends the fueling problem yesterday actually turned out to be a clogged fuel filter that is now fixed.

He and many others are near the Cleveland area, heading west to St. Charles.

I am growing concerned about some riders who appear to be still down in the Tennessee and North Carolina area... they need to push north ASAP... they have less than 10 hours to go....

I am in downtown Chicago this morning, and I can tell you that with the rain that started last nigh, and has continued on and off this morning, the traffic is AWEFUL. Heading out towards St. Charles in a little bit, so it will be interesting to see how the roads are on the way out there.

GO SKOOTER GO!

Let's not forget Derek Dickson, he kicked ass in the MD2020. I expect good things from him.
Oh oh Matt, now you let the cat out! Derek was hoping to fly under the radar. Well, as long his name is out there now...I am betting 2:1 on a podium finish for him. Never have I met a more determined, focused individual. C'mon! 3 BBG's in a row last year. He's halfway crazy already! :lol:
No doubt, I was extremely impressed with Mr. Dickson at the MD2020. A very focused individual indeed and humble too.

Still.... I'm betting a lot of rider's will be kicking themselves tonight when they find out how (relatively) easy Martha's Vinyard was. Iggy will be bent outta shape, but, he may be crazy like a fox. I have little doubt he did scarf up a serious number of medium-sized bonii, and more importantly, he will arrive at St. Charles in relatively good shape, well rested, ready to Strike Big on Leg 2.
Quite a few guys have placed well in Rally's after diligently going after a "LOT" of low hanging fruit so-to-speak.

It will be very interesting to see what the score delta is for guys who went to Maratha's Vineyard and those who didn't.

I am in downtown Chicago this morning, and I can tell you that with the rain that started last nigh, and has continued on and off this morning, the traffic is AWEFUL. Heading out towards St. Charles in a little bit, so it will be interesting to see how the roads are on the way out there.
GO SKOOTER GO!
Yeah...some of the riders coming in later are going to be very unpleasantly surprised when they see how slow traffic moves around here in the midst of a rain.

They may not make it in time because of it.

GO SkooterG! :clapping: :clapping: