2009 Iron Butt Rally - Official Daily Reports

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, my IBR rally jones is so bad I'm here on the FJR forum to read what I can:)
Thanks Warchild, for the posts...I remember that 2 years ago you co posted on STOwners...
Yeah, I tried to get to ST.N and AdvRider last time, but I am just too swamped to continue to do all three forums this time around. So I am just going to update things here.

Still, if you're inclined, feel free to pass this thread link out to the ST forums, that's fine with us.
St-Owners is super but a bit lame when it comes to interest in the IBR and LD riding. I jsut come over here - thank you very much. And Thanks Warchild. You da man for filling a bit of void left by the blackout. BTW, how come your tone of voice is a bit different there than ldriders list?

Just got off the phone with SkooterG: He said he is drowsy and bored, but on final leg to St. Charles. Since he is a Navy Veteran, I suggested to him that he jack off to keep himself occupied. Skooty's response: "Gee, why didn't I think of that?"

Last edited by a moderator:
I am in downtown Chicago this morning, and I can tell you that with the rain that started last nigh, and has continued on and off this morning, the traffic is AWEFUL. Heading out towards St. Charles in a little bit, so it will be interesting to see how the roads are on the way out there.
GO SKOOTER GO!
So far no rain in the center part of the state, maybe they'll be lucky enough to at lest get close to St. Charles before they get wet.

BRIEF RIDER UPDATES:

Glen Pancost's beemer suffered multiple flats last night. He limped to Atlanta and replaced the tire around 2am last night (Atlanta BMW hooked him up!)

Scott Lashier is riding a Honda ST1300. He fills the two tanks and forgets to turn off the flow valve for the fuel cell so gas came out of all the usual orifices. He's okay, heading to the checkpoint.

Bob Lilly is riding a BMW K1200LT. He stopped at a Birmingham Al gas station to refuel last night. While the main tank is filling he's fiddling with the aux cell fuel cap. The pump doesn't shut off when the main tank is full and gas is shooting all over his bike. He gets the fuel cell full but then the bike won't start. After letting the engine de-fume, it eventually starts and he gets going again.

Bob Multchler fried out both his GPS units in the rain down in Florida. Again, Atlanta BMW to the rescue; the owner wired up his own Garmin 450 off his bike, and Bob was rolling outta there by 10:30 am.

Barry Bertram is having a legendary Iron Butt Rally so far. First, his ancient Suzuki Rotary RE-5 killed itself down in Florida. He then borrows a local LDRider's BMW F650GS in an attempt to get himself to the checkpoint in time. Now the chain on that bike is waaaay loose and striking the swingarm. Hope the young man can get his shit together here.

Just got off the phone with SkooterG: He said he is drowsy and bored, but on final leg to St. Charles. Since he is a Navy Veteran, I suggested to him that he jack off to keep himself occupied. Skooty's response: "Gee, why didn't I think of that?"
Hmmm, would that advice be considered outside assistance :rolleyes: ?

doctorj

BRIEF RIDER UPDATES:

Bob Multchler fried out both his GPS units in the rain down in Florida. Again, Atlanta BMW to the rescue; the owner wired up his own Garmin 450 off his bike, and Bob was rolling outta there by 10:30 am.
Sounds like Atlanta BMW are a good bunch.

Other dealers take note this is how you keep people loyal to your brand even when the factory gives you the finger.

Thanks for the on going reports dale, although this is seriously having a negative impact on my productivity both at home and at work.

This being the first rally I have ever followed I feel myself getting hopelessly sucked in to the drama. It's just a matter of time before I start pricing fuel cells :rolleyes:

doctorj
Only if Bemmerdons performed the deed ......... :dribble:

Sounds like Atlanta BMW are a good bunch. Other dealers take note this is how you keep people loyal to your brand even when the factory gives you the finger.
Owner Bob Wooldridge is top-notch. He is also in charge of a volunteer list of folks willing to assist riders around the country should an IBR entrant have trouble with their bike.

The Harley-Davidson FLHT ridden by Bob Lyskowski appears to be back on the road. For now. He is heading toward St Charles.

This being the first rally I have ever followed I feel myself getting hopelessly sucked in to the drama...
You should have seen it 2 years ago when there were people all over the world staring at a screen and watching a bunch of little lo-res graphical motorcycles (following the Starr-Trax/SPOT tracking) crossing the country.

This being the first rally I have ever followed I feel myself getting hopelessly sucked in to the drama...
You should have seen it 2 years ago when there were people all over the world staring at a screen and watching a bunch of little lo-res graphical motorcycles (following the Starr-Trax/SPOT tracking) crossing the country.
Ahh, the good ol days :)

Yeah, like forum members rendevouzing with you from outta nowhere... :unsure: :blink:

Happened in '05 and '07.

Yeah, like forum members rendevouzing with you from outta nowhere... :unsure: :blink:

Happened in '05 and '07.
I told you before that I wasn't stalking you guys (unless you consider stalking to be someone tracking (all of) the participants and successfully anticipating a meeting point).

doctorj
Outstanding correct call on this one, Hal! Art and I were wondering: Are you, dcarver and Fairlaner also getting three a day phone calls from El Pendejo Grande? Very glad he calls, he keeps me informed and I keep him awake with our bullshitting!!

I told you before that I wasn't stalking you guys (unless you consider stalking to be someone tracking (all of) the participants and successfully anticipating a meeting point).
What, did I forget the smilie? Why yes, yes I did... :D :lol: :D :lol: :D :lol:

From KLR650.net:
"Originally Posted by Kbetts

IBA rider is Neil Ward of Canada (and MAYBE Norwich Ontario) on a KLR 650.... the ONLY single cylinder in the group."

This guy must be hardcore.
Maybe, but those conversations usually go more like this:

Mike K. "So, on the application for the '09 IBR you list your bike as a KLR 650. Are you really going to ride that bike in the IBR if you get selected?"

Neil W. "It's the only bike I have."

Mike K. "OK, well that puts you in the Hopeless Class. Good luck!"

Happened in '05 and '07.
You say that like it was a bad thing.

:D

doctorj
Outstanding correct call on this one, Hal! Art and I were wondering: Are you, dcarver and Fairlaner also getting three a day phone calls from El Pendejo Grande? Very glad he calls, he keeps me informed and I keep him awake with our bullshitting!!
No phone calls here. He must think you're special. That, and I told him if he woke up the wife at 3:00 am, I'd hunt him down....

Latest update:

The vast majority appear to be closing in within some reasonable striking distance of St Charles.

There are a couple that probably need to pick up their pace a little bit.... :unsure:

Move your asses, gentlemen! Curtain Call for Checkpoint One is in roughly 6 hours!

I suggested to him that he jack off to keep himself occupied
Hmmm, would that advice be considered outside assistance ?
Only if Bemmerdons performed the deed .........
i239137051_34435_7.gif
i239137051_34435_7.gif
i239137051_34435_7.gif

but Hal, you should have ended your remark with "..again"