2009 Iron Butt Rally - Official Daily Reports

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How many Wings in the top 20?
I'll do my best from one of the first rally reports

1 Jeff Earls 16629 - K1200GT

2 Jim Owen 16331 - R1200RT

3 Derek Dickson 16143 - FJR1300

4 Andy Mills 15653 - Victory Vision

5 Eric Jewell 15076 - ST1300

6 Greg Marbach 15028 - FJR1300

7 Roger Sinclair 14726 - Concours14

8 Mike Hutsal 14447 - ST1300

9 Chris Sakala 14181 - R1200RT

10 Alan Barbic 14141 - ST1300

11 Rick Miller 14120 - GL1800 Wing

12 Tom/Rosie Sperry 13608 - GL1800 Wing

13 Mark Crane 13165 - R1200GSA

14 Bob St. George 13096 - FJR1300

15 Brian Roberts 13019 - ST1300

16 Michael Evans 12824 - FJR1300

17 Peter Behm 12815 - FJR1300

18 Rick Sauter 12808 - GL1800 Wing

19 Chuck Gittner 12789 - K1200LT

20 Chris McGaffin 12731 - FJR1300 (from Ireland)
What is really interesting there is that there are only 5 BMW's in the top 20, and the ones I know are what you would call 'die-hard' BMW riders (Jeff, Jim & Chris). The FJR/ST really dominates LD Riding now, much as BMW did just a few rally's ago. By '11 I'd guess they are going to be down to 20% of the field.

Loosing his flag has not seemed to slow Mr. Efficiency Earls down much. Go homeboy, go! :yahoo:

Loosing his flag has not seemed to slow Mr. Efficiency Earls down much. Go homeboy, go! :yahoo:

earls_ckpt1.jpg

Looks like Andy is doing quite well on the Victory, he was a former FJR rider and rode his '04 FJR in the '05 IBR. He was running a great rally and ended up with a tire carcass run-in about 300 miles from the finish and totalled the bike. I wouldn't count him out of the top 10 for sure.

Grady

Any chance a GPX file will be released?
If there are to be released, it won't be during the rally.

But Lat/Lon's for every bonus are including in the bonus listing, so you can manually enter them and start your armchair quarterbacking from there! ;)

I was looking at the photos of the St Charles check point that Paul & Voni Glaves posted on LD Riders Forum and noticed one of Turbo Dave holding up his hand with bruses on it. Does anyone know what it is from.
I will say that he is smiling, so it can't be to serious.
I saw that too, but it looks like ink from his red gloves IMHO.

Full Bonus Listing from Leg One - ONLINE!
https://www.ironbuttrally.com/IBR/2009.cfm

Any chance a GPX file will be released? I see that there are the lat/lon coordinates in the file, but it would be great if they released a GPX. I'm sure I'm not the only one that would love to play IBA route games to see what we could do.
BWAAHAHAHAHA!

GPX files are for pussies. Do it the way it's always been done before, input them by hand. Better yet, grow some hair and get a paper map out and some highlighters.

;)

Full Bonus Listing from Leg One - ONLINE!
https://www.ironbuttrally.com/IBR/2009.cfm

Any chance a GPX file will be released? I see that there are the lat/lon coordinates in the file, but it would be great if they released a GPX. I'm sure I'm not the only one that would love to play IBA route games to see what we could do.
BWAAHAHAHAHA!

GPX files are for pussies. Do it the way it's always been done before, input them by hand. Better yet, grow some hair and get a paper map out and some highlighters.

;)

Nope, gonna whip up a php script to parse the txt file export and create a gpx file. I would share but I'm sure that would violate copyright :rolleyes:

PS Whats paper?

Other than Skooter and Iggy, can anyone fill in the blanks to provide forum names to real names?
Here's one:

Derek Dickson - Stryg8r ('05 FJR - Duluth, MN)

Go guys and gals! :yahoo:
Photo of Derek Dickson/Stryg8r from CFO 2005

Derek is the 2nd from the left (the others: opt8low far right, bluebullet 2nd from right, hoistman far left [unseen since CFO 2005])

w2.jpg

Iggy is making adjustments on-the-fly.

Lots of rain is slowing down his progress. He'll be heading for North Dakota, then Montana, then south to Colorado, New Mexico and Arizona before heading to California. He's well rested and sounds very good.

Personally, I think he should stay on course.... he'll be out of the rain shortly if he does.....

Last edited by a moderator:
No one had better tell him that, or we could all get in trouble for advising him on his route. Just saying.
While I am not 100% sure he has it, I *believe* Iggy has the Weather option on his GPS, so he can see it just as well as we can....

While I am not 100% sure he has it, I *believe* Iggy has the Weather option on his GPS, so he can see it just as well as we can....
Correct, something he added this rally. Not only can he see it on radar, but he's closer to it than any of us :)

Also added traffic updates, but I don't believe he's putting much faith in those helping much.

Me *guesses* his route modification was a result of sitting on the bike and having time to reflect/modify strategy -perhaps motivated by heavy rain (?)

Whatever bonus is west of Clear Lake, Iowa on HWY 18, there are a ton of riders headed that way.... a TON of riders.... SkooterG and Iggy are with that group.

Other than Skooter and Iggy, can anyone fill in the blanks to provide forum names to real names?
Here's one:

Derek Dickson - Stryg8r ('05 FJR - Duluth, MN)

Go guys and gals! :yahoo:
Derek is the real deal. He's a good guy and humbly won the Mason Dixon 20-20 this past May while up against several well-known IBR guys.

Go Derek!