2009 Iron Butt Rally - Official Daily Reports

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Needs a password???
It worked for a while with no password. I was just talking to Joe a minute ago.

I had to disconnect and when I went back it asked for a password. :(

Mick

Last edited by a moderator:
It worked for a while with no password. I was just talking to Joe a minute ago.I had to disconnect and when I went back it asked for a password. :(

Mick
Joe Denton asked that someone forward the password to the FJR forum.

It is :

ironbutt

Joe Denton asked that someone forward the password to the FJR forum.It is :

ironbutt
Thanks!!

I have lived under a rock for too long...........what's the deal with this zorap thing??? are these people in the rally down in Santa Ana?? or just LD folks on a community video blogger site?? is that even the right term?? looks neat but I don't have a web cam. :angry2:

Hmm, I wonder if Tom A. knows they re-posted his article w/o his permission. (at least I don't see anything saying it was posted with permission)

It was originally posted to the LDRiders mail list. I don't think the LDRiders website needs permission to post something posted to the mail list.
My bad, keep forgetting that's not the rip off site. It's so....... repetitive of other sites. :huh:

Hmm, I wonder if Tom A. knows they re-posted his article w/o his permission. (at least I don't see anything saying it was posted with permission)
I don't see that there would be a problem, if no-one is making money off the article, the writer is credited, and riders in general are benefitting from sound advice.

Very interesting article and absolutely worth bookmarking. Thanks, Chris! :)
Yes, excellent article and thanks for that. I should have said, I have ridden with the RC in those temps but still hate too, :) . It is the legs on the RC that get really hot since no vents. For the legs in super hot weather, I prefer Firstgear mesh overpants with microfiber pants underneath. The best jacket so far in hot is BMW Savannah 2 with all vents open.

doctorj

Very interesting article and absolutely worth bookmarking. Thanks, Chris! :)
Yes, excellent article and thanks for that. I should have said, I have ridden with the RC in those temps but still hate too, :) . It is the legs on the RC that get really hot since no vents. For the legs in super hot weather, I prefer Firstgear mesh overpants with microfiber pants underneath. The best jacket so far in hot is BMW Savannah 2 with all vents open.

doctorj
If you ride with all your vents open you use MUCH more moisture to cool yourself than if you only unzip the front zipper a little bit. I ride in a full Roadcrafter suit in 120 degrees through the Mojave desert with no problems at all. I tried that with my joe Rocket mesh and lasted only 20 minutes before I was totally dried out. I would MUCH rather ride in a full Roadcrafter suit than mesh especially when it is 120 degrees. My RC suit makes a good flame suit too. :)

Just got off the phone with Jerry White.
He is in the northeast, and stopped to refuel. Just a short time after getting back underway, his motor started sputtering, serious lack of power, like it ran on 2-3 cylinders intermittently, etc. etc.

In other words.... he filled his bike at a crusty old BP station that must have been half gas, half water.

He is at a truck stop draining his bike of the shit fuel. The truck stop he is at only sells diesel, so he can't totally drain the bad gas since he must ride to a regular gas station to refuel.

'Natch, he refilled his aux cell with the crap-gas too, so, that will need to be drained, also. :(
Great fun reading these reports.

One clarification: Based on this post and others like it, it must be legal to call a friend and have them blog for you during the rally, right?

One clarification: Based on this post and others like it, it must be legal to call a friend and have them blog for you during the rally, right?
Warchild may be Jerry's friend, but in this case he's Rally Staff also. Sort of solves that issue.

Got back from checkpoint 2 about an hour ago, just finished eating. Turbo Dave, Skooter & Iggy all got in looking pretty good, overheated from the last few hours but doing good. I'll get some pics posted up tomorrow.

A few pics from CP 2 in Santa Ana earlier today:

Skooter arrives:

IMG_4145.jpg

IMG_4179.jpg

IMG_4152.jpg

IMG_4199.jpg

Jerry White:

IMG_4221.jpg

Turbo Dave arrives:

IMG_4261.jpg

IMG_4276.jpg

IMG_4283.jpg

TurboDave telling about the odor near the Salton Sea...

IMG_4299.jpg