2011 IBR - The Inside View

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If anyone does have communication w/ a rider.... make sure they know that S. Indiana I-64 is NOT the place to speed from the mile marker 117-121 and construction zone from 121-123 which is the bridge crossing from In. to Ky.
I would hope that if anyone is in contact with a rider that they NOT Tell them anything that might affect their routing or riding in any fashion. THAT IS OUT SIDE HELP and against the rules. Don't jeopardize your rider by giving them information that could disqualify them.

Last edited by a moderator:
It might be very well intended for people to try to meet up with the riders, but these folks are in rally mode, they do not have time to chat, or talk about how their bike is set up. They need to bag bonuses and MOTOR.
Eggzactly. Please be considerate. These folks are on a mission. Last summer I rode out to meet Mike Mahaffy (sp?) whose in this IBR while he was doing a shakedown run around the Great Lakes. Caught up, got acknowledged then passed him. He stopped for gas and I waited out of the way while he logged his fuel and did his business.

Someone noted that a clever person with a before/after shot could still match numbers to previous TLAs and figure out which is where.

As much as it would suck for the next couple days, even with random numbers on trackers, for security it should be taken down until the NY checkpoint, when all the riders are in one place. Re-randomize the numbers and send 'em off.
Don't go puttin ideas into peoples heads.

Capitol idea about randomizing the numbers in NY just to keep everyone safe.

Pulling over some commentary I'm providing on another moto-related list.

We are now nearly 72 hours into a 264 hour ride, or a little over 1/4 of the event.

If you've been reading the official reports, you know that Ken Meese and Roger Sinclair have both claimed Alaska and are on pace to make the first checkpoint. When I talked with Roger at the start he said he was hoping he was doing what I would have done. He did not tell me where he was going or ask me for advice. I said nothing other than wishing him a safe and fun ride. I would not have gone to Hyder. However, he and Ken look to be making it work. My hat is off to them. It's a huge gamble on the first leg.

I was sorry to hear that Dick Peek got the business at the border coming back into the lower 48. Dick is a great guy and I hope he makes it to Buffalo to keep his rally alive.

Riders that claim Alaska and the rest bonus will be in the lead at the first check. If they add a few capitols, they will be even farther ahead. Unless the leg 2 or 3 bonuses really throw the field a loop, those Hyder riders may well be able to "coast" with the field to the finish with an insurmountable lead. The battle for the win would then come down to Ken and Roger, provided they both make the finish and get all 48 states. But who knows what awaits them in Buffalo and Jacksonville.

Presume that the Alaska riders also snagged Blaine on the way north.

So where is everybody else?

Yesterday's challenge was water. There were no open bridges across the Missouri River between Omaha and St. Joseph. A few riders had hours-long detours just to get across the river and claim Nebraska.

Some riders are still dealing with that.

Today's challenge may also be water for a few other riders.

0623_0844PDT_WX.JPG

https://picasaweb.google.com/KGTpilot/IBR11?authkey=Gv1sRgCIa_xZSzi-CZkAE#5621441931322768370

Here is a snapshot of public rider positions as of 0825 PDT today.

0623_0825PDT.JPG

https://picasaweb.google.com/KGTpilot/IBR11?authkey=Gv1sRgCIa_xZSzi-CZkAE#5621436914533395026

Looking at the tracking shot, you can see one rider well into Pennsylvania. This rider has likely collected Michigan, Ohio, and Kentucky over night as well as banking West Virginia (a leg 2 state). This rider may be behind the curve to get Madawaska but word is that other riders are ahead of him/her on the road. Anyone going into the New England states today is going to get whacked by the weather. Heavy rain and the northeast corridor do not make good conditions for maintaining the required pace. Any rider headed for Madawaska better have their weather radar going and a sneaky route plan to avoid congestion.

Most of the field is strung out along I-70 in Missouri. The riders at the east side of this pack and into Illinois/Indiana should have no problem bagging the big bonus in Harrisburg, PA. On the way, they will clip Michigan and Kentucky. If they have time, they may go for the capitols in Lansing or Frankfort. They probably won't be going beyond that before turning for Buffalo; they are not in the hunt for Madawaska on this leg.

The riders near KC and Des Moines have a lot of work to do but can be expected to make the checkpoint. They may have to skip on a capitol or two on the final push for the barn.

Those few riders still up in the Dakotas and Minnesota are in trouble. They are quickly approaching the time at which they will need to skip leg 1 states entirely just to make the checkpoint. If they make it to Buffalo, they will need to go back and get those states on another leg. Given their pace so far, this does not bode well for them becoming IBR finishers.

They have until 2000 local time tomorrow to arrive at the checkpoint in Cheektowaga, NY before the 2-hour penalty window starts.

A lot can happen in the next 32 hours.

I just took a look at the 2 forums I knew of that rider list posted and I can't seem to find it on the original or the place that had it cross posted.

I just took a look at the 2 forums I knew of that rider list posted and I can't seem to find it on the original or the place that had it cross posted.
That is because the original poster of that list took it down after being questioned about it by Lisa Landry on the IBDONE list serve. Although making the list was misguided, to say the least, I think he did his best to make it right in a hurry when he realized it was a problem.

Hi guys - sorry to crash the party - but just had to join to see your pretty pictures.

Great thread and great insights - that is why this is my home every 2 years for 11 ish days.

If you want any mediocre information on how to place mid pack - just ask. As a charter member of Team Bell Curve - I'm your guy on the street for poor decisions resulting in average finishes.

-DNA

I'm crossing my fingers for this option. The SPOT page has been a ton of fun to follow.
Most definitely, babe.... the Spotwalla page is beyond awesome! I am loathe to take the page down, but neither we will allow even for the remotest possibility of putting our riders in any kind of jeopardy.
I kind of wondered up front why there wasn't some radomized number or whatever so no one would be able to do what has been done. But not knowing the ins and outs of it, I guess someone would find a way around it. I'm not sure why people interested in the IBR would do this knowing the effects. Oh well!!!

doctorj

I'm crossing my fingers for this option. The SPOT page has been a ton of fun to follow.
Most definitely, babe.... the Spotwalla page is beyond awesome! I am loathe to take the page down, but neither we will allow even for the remotest possibility of putting our riders in any kind of jeopardy.
I kind of wondered up front why there wasn't some radomized number or whatever so no one would be able to do what has been done. But not knowing the ins and outs of it, I guess someone would find a way around it. I'm not sure why people interested in the IBR would do this knowing the effects. Oh well!!!

doctorj
My guess would be "over-enthusiasm". A misguided attempt to be helpful.

I suspect, from everything I have heard, that being squished by Lisa would prevent future attempts at "helpfulness"

:)

If you want any mediocre information on how to place mid pack - just ask. As a charter member of Team Bell Curve - I'm your guy on the street for poor decisions resulting in average finishes.

-DNA
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I think there are lots of us here that are members of that team too

-DNA
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I think there are lots of us here that are members of that team too

Ah yes - but we have shirt and stickers.

linky

linky

:D

I kind of wondered up front why there wasn't some radomized number or whatever so no one would be able to do what has been done. But not knowing the ins and outs of it, I guess someone would find a way around it. I'm not sure why people interested in the IBR would do this knowing the effects. Oh well!!!doctorj
My guess would be "over-enthusiasm". A misguided attempt to be helpful.I suspect, from everything I have heard, that being squished by Lisa would prevent future attempts at "helpfulness" :)
"Over-enthusiasm" is correct, and, for the record, the Spotwalla code list on the MTF was taken down before Lisa or other IBR staffers had a chance to react...or overreact. No squishing involved.

"Over-enthusiasm" is correct, and, for the record, the Spotwalla code list on the MTF was taken down
Correct, and there is no need to go over to MTF to give them a blast of shit... t'was only one or two people causing the bullshit; one immediately took it down, but the other proved recalcitrant and unrepentant.

It was this second individual who almost cost everyone to lose the Spotwalla page.

The fact that he is a MTF member is not a good reason to rebuff that forum, particularly for the actions of one misguided member.

Status
Not open for further replies.