2011 IBR - The Inside View

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Shirley a BMW can't chew up a brand new chain and schprockets in only 6000 miles. Shirley those were brand new parts last Monday. Shirley?
this is all based on my (often misinterpreted) understanding of events. BMW mechs told her that their chains never need lubing (or maybe adjusting) and that replacement was a dealer service item only. when tools were recommended as items for the rally, she refused since she wouldn't know how to use them and "the dealer said". iiuc it wasn't a new chain/sprocket set starting out either.

but i've been wrong before.

Their final drives never need servicing, their chains never need lubing or adjusting. Say do BMW bikes also not need their engine oil replaced?

...and then I hear how expensive these BMW's are to maintain. What is there to maintain? I am sure the valves never need adjusting ever - either!
laugh.gif

Gimme some of that Kool-Aid!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Kind of a late observation on Leg One scores due to having to actually go to work. :huh: :huh: :huh:

I like to see how efficient a rider does their rally. Using the points available so far (can't factor in the 4 Corner points YET), 4 riders are on a > 1 pt/mile pace. Obviously, the "Hyder Three" and also George Barker on the Wing.

Also, Colin Goodall is riding a pretty efficient rally. He rode the least amount of miles in leg one (3738 miles), and is in 54th place out of 87 starters. But then we know he's a smart rider, he's on FJR!! :D :D :D

Again, this all goes out the window when we can factor in ALL the pts., such as the 4 Corner ones, etc.

Just my $.02 worth.

I just talked with DaJuice he's having some trouble with his ear plugs irritating his ear canals. I've never had this issue so I was no help. I've heard of others with this problem but didn't pay attention to the solutions. Anybody have any advice?

Tragedy at the Utah 1088

I am stunned to report that we have lost my good friend Ken Morton last night.

I believe he was returning from the Cheektowaga Checkpoint and was on I-80 in Nebraska, when reports indicate he hydroplaned on standing water, and hit a guardrail, killing him instantly.

Thoughts and prayers to his wife Lisa, please.

I shall light a candle for my Brother tonight.

Mother fucker.....

I just talked with DaJuice he's having some trouble with his ear plugs irritating his ear canals. I've never had this issue so I was no help. I've heard of others with this problem but didn't pay attention to the solutions. Anybody have any advice?
If possible, I'd tell him to leave them out for a bit to give the ear canals a rest. Having them in for that long a period of time isn't surprising that they would be irritated. Not sure what type of plugs he's using but perhaps a smaller size (i.e. foam) if he has a chance to stop at a store... good time for a receipt?? :)

Check you PM's I sent a solution

When Iggy had this problem he used Neosporin to lubricate the plugs. Helps to heal things and still allows a good seal.

That really sucks about Ken Morton. I didn't know him, and I can only imagine what his family is going through. Thoughts and prayers.

Thoughts and prayers to the fallen rider, his friends, family and all who knew him. I am sure he will be missed by many. If it's any consolation we know he died doing what he loved. I rode in a memorial ride today for a fallen friend. It always gives us reason to pause and reflect. But for chance it could be any of us. Stay safe everyone.

That is so sad,

Susan and I had breakfast with Ken and Dennis York before the Start Monday.

In the 2007 IBR we pulled out of a gas station together and I dropped my wing on some oil at o dark thirty and we spent so "quality time" de- turtling it.

Instant friendship from that moment on.

He was a wonderful man.

I will miss him

Bill Watt

Tragedy at the Utah 1088

I believe he was returning from the Cheektowaga Checkpoint and was on I-80 in Nebraska, when reports indicate he hydroplaned on standing water, and hit a guardrail, killing him instantly.

Mother fucker.....

When Iggy had this problem he used Neosporin to lubricate the plugs. Helps to heal things and still allows a good seal.
Thanks everyone for the ideas I'll pass them onto DaJuice.

Sad, sad news about Ken.

It's too late to get some Oto-Ease (amazon.com/Oto-Ease-Hearing-Aid-Lubricant/dp/B000AMK300) overnighted to him in time for the Jackson CP. Maybe someone in the checkpoint area can call around to see if any of the mega-drug marts or audiologists locally might have some in stock. It's not a common item.

In the meantime, he needs to change something right away. Stop and buy a different type of plug, run without plugs for a couple of hours, whatever. Something though - just trying to ride through it will escalate the irritation making it even more difficult to overcome.

Tragedy at the Utah 1088

Mother fucker.....
There just aren't the words.

Simply add mine, and Mrs Twigg's, condolences to the many that will be forthcoming.

Really horrible news about Ken. I talked at length with him at Seattle about his Vee setup. Condolences to wife and family. Godspeed Ken.

That sounds like a plan.

I guess Vaseline (petroleum jelly) would be effective too, but without the anti-bacterial component.

That sounds like a plan.

I guess Vaseline (petroleum jelly) would be effective too, but without the anti-bacterial component.
Vaseline is a BIG no-no. It will actually help to cause an infection. Neosporin, no plugs, or changing to other plugs. Maybe all of the above as needed.

That sounds like a plan.

Vaseline is a BIG no-no. It will actually help to cause an infection. Neosporin, no plugs, or changing to other plugs. Maybe all of the above as needed.
I stand corrected :)

I have no idea why Vaseline would be a problem, it is routinely used in situations like that, but not a point I would argue.

Get the Neosporin :)

Status
Not open for further replies.