2011 IBR - The Inside View

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
There were a heck of a lot more than 15 that rode to Blaine. I believe Warchild put the number closer to 90% of the field headed there, and judging by the number of bikes we saw headed back southbound as we headed up I5 towards that corner, I'd say Warchild was right.
Oh, no, no, no... you have to be referring to someone else; I never said/typed that. I would *suspect* a rather hefty number would dash up to score Blaine, if just to have that in their hip pocket for Legs 2 and 3.

But 90% of the field? Pretty sure that's not accurate, though I do not know the actual number of riders who scarfed up Blaine.

There were some excellent arguments by IBR vets I talked to the morning of the Start who described why they are blowing off the 4-Corners altogether. Mostly because of the reasons already provided by IBR vets in this thread:

• later in the rally, we may determine 4800 points may be a piddly amount in the grand scheme of things.
  • if the above is true, that's waaaaaay too many miles for minimal points.
  • as hinted by rally staff, the smart money bets on ever-increasing capital point values later in the rally.

We are obviously a hot topic here on FJRForum.... lots of guests here.... ;)

hottopic.jpg

And the numbers of people in the thread is increasing....

Did anyone see MEJ snag South Dakota yet? Whomever it is, they are getting it done!

& at least one guy who just signed up to FRJForum today to subscribe to this thread... :ph34r:
Many will have to in oder to see the photos... dumb-ass forum software upgrade has stymied us as to why, after the upgrade was installed, that guests see photos as links only... not too fucking happy with this IP.Board 3.1.2 right now... :angry:

First of all, thanks to all the IBR vets who are posting here. Getting that kind of insight is really terrific!

<snip>There were some excellent arguments by IBR vets I talked to the morning of the Start who described why they are blowing off the 4-Corners altogether. Mostly because of the reasons already provided by IBR vets in this thread:

• later in the rally, we may determine 4800 points may be a piddly amount in the grand scheme of things.
  • if the above is true, that's waaaaaay too many miles for minimal points.
  • as hinted by rally staff, the smart money bets on ever-increasing capital point values later in the rally.
This is really important information. Given the "throwback" theme this year, I wasn't sure if the recent history of escalating point values would hold true.

Many will have to in order to see the photos... dumb-ass forum software upgrade has stymied us as to why, after the upgrade was installed, that guests see photos as links only... not too fucking happy with this IP.Board 3.1.2 right now... :angry:
Yeah, sux for family members who want to see RRs as well. ;)

I got a planning questions for the vets...What is average speed realistically attainable on these legs. An Average of 50 to 60 ? I know my SS1K I averaged about 62.5MPH but that was for just 24 hours, but this is totally different. I can't wait to see the point values for the capitals or is that capitols.

Willie

But 90% of the field? Pretty sure that's not accurate, though I do not know the actual number of riders who scarfed up Blaine.
That's one thing I did document Monday and counted 16 of the 44 that went to Blaine.

That's one thing I did document Monday and counted 16 of the 44 that went to Blaine.
Just drew a circle around the group of riders on the 10:15 CST map...if you rode that circle around them, you'd have to travel about 2000 miles!

-snip-

Oh, no, no, no... you have to be referring to someone else; I never said/typed that. I would *suspect* a rather hefty number would dash up to score Blaine, if just to have that in their hip pocket for Legs 2 and 3.

-snip-
You're right. Gone back and corrected it. Wayyyy too early in the morning for me to be posting. Thanks for the correction Matt.

I guess "PJK" forgot to throw his SPOT back into tracking mode. Otherwise, he's been taking a real long nap at that rest stop outside of Crystal Springs.

"cdg" is no longer trailing everyone else and is in Nebraska.

And it looks like "bbn" has ended his exile to the south and has turned northward towards Nebraska.

Last edited by a moderator:
I got a planning questions for the vets...What is average speed realistically attainable on these legs. An Average of 50 to 60 ? I know my SS1K I averaged about 62.5MPH but that was for just 24 hours, but this is totally different. I can't wait to see the point values for the capitals or is that capitols.

Willie
Willie,

No Vet here. Well did you mean Army Vet? That's me!

Look at August 25 Tom Austin 2009 IBR reports

50-60 and the Top Dog Animals maybe 65. Buttttt this rally is different. More miles so either less sleep or more average speed.

Mr Billie

I'd really like to read a daily diary from an IBR participant. Right now I see 4 riders headed towards Lincoln. Two from north, one from the EAST and one from the west. Lincoln, Topeka, Jefferson City and then east? I'd like to know what some of them were thinking when they started the route, what adjustments they've made since and the plan.

Or do you throw out the plan after 48 hours? :)

Well they can't throw out the plan completely, since they need to hit all the states to finish. they can pick up capitols or drop them as time allows, but hitting all the states is mandatory. Or at least that is my understanding.

Or do you throw out the plan after 48 hours? :)
Easily.

You throw out a plan just as soon as you realize you have screwed the pooch... hopefully, early enough that you can re-group, re-plan, and execute.

But, if you realize waaaaay too late that you done fucked up.... then a slow, leisurely ride to the finish line is indicated.... you can still attend the Finisher Banquet even as a DNF.

Signing in, so as to be counted, as a follower of the IBR; great stuff (with excellent commentary). Shall remain silent now and take it all in. Great luck to all the participants. Living vicariously through you all.

Status
Not open for further replies.