2013 FJR - Product announced!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With 1298cc of steam on tap, there's no shortage of low-end grunt to whisk you away from stops, despite final-drive gearing that is now 2.7% taller. The burly Yamaha's engine is claimed to make the same power as before (which we measured at 122.5 hp @ 7000 rpm and 87.8 lb-ft at 5800 revs), though it's now been made Euro 3 compliant with four three-way cats and a heated oxygen sensor.

From HERE.

With 1298cc of steam on tap, there's no shortage of low-end grunt to whisk you away from stops, despite final-drive gearing that is now 2.7% taller. The burly Yamaha's engine is claimed to make the same power as before (which we measured at 122.5 hp @ 7000 rpm and 87.8 lb-ft at 5800 revs), though it's now been made Euro 3 compliant with four three-way cats and a heated oxygen sensor.

From HERE.
Now THAT makes sense...conforming to some higher Euro emissions standard that wasn't a requirement on the Gen 1s.

From HERE.
Thank you, I really didn't want to get into the whole non-believers of the 3rd and 4th cats on Gen 2s, despite the statement in the Gen 2 press releases and the fact I have both exhausts and I can go look at them. And they weigh two pounds different.

From HERE.
Now THAT makes sense...conforming to some higher Euro emissions standard that wasn't a requirement on the Gen 1s.
If it actually worked it would. But if you know how cats work, there is no way that you can run two of them in series and expect the downstream cat to ever fire. Plus they are now (on the 2013) magically able to meet those same strict (perhaps stricter) standards with just the two original underbelly ones? Besides, I think CARB may be stricter than ECE.

Still, I'd like some solid visual evidence. Show me what's inside that damn exhaust can! Somebody must have cut one open, right?

Last edited by a moderator:

From HERE.
Thank you, I really didn't want to get into the whole non-believers of the 3rd and 4th cats on Gen 2s, despite the statement in the Gen 2 press releases and the fact I have both exhausts and I can go look at them. And they weigh two pounds different.
Well, I was once a non-believer until you convinced me. Now I am just spreading the word. :)

From HERE.
If it actually worked it would. But if you know how cats work, there is no way that you can run two of them in series and expect the downstream cat to ever fire. Plus they are now (on the 2013) magically able to meet those same strict (perhaps stricter) standards with just the two original underbelly ones? Besides, I think CARB may be stricter than ECE.

Still, I'd like some solid visual evidence. Show me what's inside that damn exhaust can! Somebody must have cut one open, right?
I don't see a reason the second cat can't heat up enough to be somewhat effective but I'm no Yamaha engineer. Search some of my old threads or posts and some guy took a pic up the elbow tube, you can see the cat. That and Yamaha states it is there. I sold my Gen 2 cans and saved my Gen1's as backups, so I didn't cut mine open, lol.

From HERE.
Wait, so you can see the cats in there?

Two pounds doesn't convince me.

Got any pictures?

[edit] We are apparently cross posting. I'll try to find these evidential pictures, but if you stumble across them, please post them up.

Still, I'd like some solid visual evidence. Show me what's inside that damn exhaust can!
2 lb sandbags? :p Ballast for the lowly Gen II's longer swingarm?
When the ABS brakes became standard on the Gen II, they were afraid that since the front wheel wouldn't lock up, the bike would stoppie and flip over, thus the extra weight added to the rear. :D

From HERE.
Somebody at MotorcycleUSA.com doesn't know the difference between headers and cat-cons...

From the SAME article Skooter linked comes THIS picture with this caption:

For those interested, the FJR is more than capable of cruising along at triple-digit speeds. We chose a standard-transmission model to show you the quartet of catalytic converters, demonstrating our responsibility to the environment if not traffic laws.
eBJN18019adjusment.jpg

Can't say, from the evidence presented, that the article lends any more credibility to the question, since the caption is clearly claiming the header pipes are cat-converters.

I'm with Fred...I STILL don't believe there are cats in the mufflers on the Gen IIs...not at the same price for Gen 1 units.

I don't see a reason the second cat can't heat up enough to be somewhat effective. Search some of my old threads or posts and some guy took a pic up the elbow tube, you can see the cat. That and Yamaha states it is there. I sold my Gen 2 cans and saved my Gen1's as backups, so I didn't cut mine open, lol.
The light off temp on a catalytic convertor is between 400-600 degrees F. The forward portion of the muffler is nowhere close to those temperatures. If it was, you wouldn't just melt your girlfriend's flip-flops, you'd scorch the soles of her feet.

Edit - That's not saying they aren't in there. Maybe they are. But if they are, they aren't doing dick.

Re-Edit. Yeah, I see two cats in Howie's picture.

The funny thing about the "cats in the exhaust" argument is that to this date NO ONE has shown where YAMAHA says they put cats in the pipes. If they did, they are magicians. No change in design, no change in price, no change in sound, and no change in fit. Hmmmmmm. As always, this debate has my bullshit meter pegged.

I also don't buy the "picture" proving they exist. That could just be the normal internals of the exhaust can. Until someone reaches in and takes a CC out of the exhaust can, I'll continue to call BS.

The funny thing about the "cats in the exhaust" argument is that to this date NO ONE has shown where YAMAHA says they put cats in the pipes. If they did, they are magicians. No change in design, no change in price, no change in sound, and no change in fit. Hmmmmmm. As always, this debate has my bullshit meter pegged.

I also don't buy the "picture" proving they exist. That could just be the normal internals of the exhaust can. Until someone reaches in and takes a CC out of the exhaust can, I'll continue to call BS.
Yeah, whatever jackass.

Yamaha announced it. Several press outlets reported it. Exhaust on Gen IIs weigh more, AND part numbers changed from Gen I to Gen II.

Sorry buckaroo, but I guess sometimes you just can't fix stooopid. Here's your sign!

:finger:

Yeah, whatever jackass.

Yamaha announced it. Several press outlets reported it. Exhaust on Gen IIs weigh more, AND part numbers changed from Gen I to Gen II.

Sorry buckaroo, but I guess sometimes you just can't fix stooopid. Here's your sign!

:finger:
Yeah, nice try monkey boy. Like I said, SHOW me where Yamaha said they added Cats to the exhaust cans. I don't want to hear about how you heard them say it, or how you read it in some BS online motorcycle "magazine." How many of those idiots have given us false FJRs every year, only to be proven wrong? It must hurt your head to be so dumb.

So...Do one of two things:

Find where Yamaha claims they added cats. If it's true, it should be easy to find. I would think if it was true, someone would have posted it up by now.

If you can't do that, just admit that you are wrong and move on.

Oh, I guess I should have said, "Three things." If you don't want to do either of the above, get a set of GenII pipes and pull the Cats out. Shouldn't be that hard....Unless there's no cats.

I read it on the internet so it must be true...

4-into-1-into-2 stainless steel exhaust optimizes engine performance across the power band and utilizes four three-way catalytic converters to reduce emissions. Two are located in the junction "box" under the engine and one in each muffler. Combined with the Air Induction System (AIS), the FJR1300 is one of the cleanest-running large-capacity motorcycle engines ever built. It easily exceeds the strict European EU-3 emission standards.

from HERE

I read it on the internet so it must be true...

4-into-1-into-2 stainless steel exhaust optimizes engine performance across the power band and utilizes four three-way catalytic converters to reduce emissions. Two are located in the junction "box" under the engine and one in each muffler. Combined with the Air Induction System (AIS), the FJR1300 is one of the cleanest-running large-capacity motorcycle engines ever built. It easily exceeds the strict European EU-3 emission standards.

from HERE

Yeah, that's the same blurb as the MCN one, word for word. Problem with a lot of this kind of info is that one media outlet makes a mistake and then that mistake gets cut and pasted into multiple other press releases.

A perfect case in point is how everyone is trying to tell us that the new 2013 FJR now has a new cylinder design with an alloy block and hardened coating in the bores that eliminate the steel sleeves. It never had steel sleeves. But there are several places where that quote shows up now.

Also, where is this prior thread where this "Cats in the Mufflers" subject was debated ad naseum? I'm pretty good with Google and I haven't found it.

Nevermind, I think I found it by going back through all of carlson_mn's posts. Here is the thread, but there is no more evidence in that thread than what has just been discussed, and I don't really feel all that nauseous after reading less than two whole pages of posts. :glare: