2013 FJR - Product announced!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I saw the Akrapovic's on a site for 1395 pounds which right now is X 1.61 so thats $2245.95.......ouch they might have to wait for a bit.

R

Don't like the digital dash/speedo, but I'm an anolog man! :yahoo:

Well, if you feel that strongly that you're an analog man...you might as well spell it right. :)

BTW, I like my speedometer to have a sweep needle as well. But I have a few more years before I have to look at getting a GEN III. I'm still working through my silver Gen I...and have yet to breach the GEN II wall. :)

Supposedly from Yammie's European FJR press introduction:

Yamaha_engine.img_assist_custom-500x371.jpg

And associated verbage:

Direct-plated sleeveless cylindersDirect-plated sleeveless cylinders are used on the FJR models for the first time, and the new design is similar to that which has been successfully used on the YZF-R1 and YZF-R6 supersport models.

Rather than using a conventional liner or sleeve which is fitted within the alloy cylinders, the new system features a hardened bore that has been electro-plated directly onto the alloy. The main advantage is that is improves heat dissipation to give consistently strong engine running performance.

...but does it have lowered footpegs for the duffers around here???

...or do you STILL have to buy your own peg lowering kit! Cmon Yamaha....it's the 21st century! Some of these people around here are old! :clapping:

:D

Dammit...when it Fairlaner gonna get his bike so we can get a REAL review? (with video and tunes) ;)

(Car tire optional).

Good point on the lowered pegs, wheaties.....now we just need a douchebag and his sheep to comment on car tires and scoots.

Anyone know when they will arrive at the dealers?

The Yammie sight says it is available "now"?

My dealer has been calling whatever number he has and doesn't seem to be getting an answer?

https://www.cycletrader.com/listing/2013-Yamaha-FJR1300A-106348042 Lots of Yamaha Dealers on Cycle Trader offering them for sale, all ads stating "coming soon"! https://www.cycletrader.com/New-Or-Used-Yamaha-Fjr-1300-Motorcycles-For-Sale-In-Chandler-Arizona/search-results?type=356953&make=Yamaha%7C2321194&model=Fjr+1300&year=2013:2013&modelkeyword=1&zip=85225&radius=any&sort=geo_distance:asc&newsort=1

Good point on the lowered pegs, wheaties.....now we just need a douchebag and his sheep to comment on car tires and scoots.
I wonder who Ray is talking about.

tech-day-9-L.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey folks, Mid Ohio Yamaha will have one of these babies in the showroom in

December. When I know what date for sure, I will let you know. Oh, and by the way, I now work there, so the info is from the horses mouth.

A perfect case in point is how everyone is trying to tell us that the new 2013 FJR now has a new cylinder design with an alloy block and hardened coating in the bores that eliminate the steel sleeves. It never had steel sleeves. But there are several places where that quote shows up now.
Not sure what your point is here? There are new changes. So they get one word wrong - 'steel' instead of ceramic.

These magazines get the stuff from Yamaha's press release, not other magazines. Sheesh, you boys are incredulous.

So, how do you explain the different part numbers and the fact the exhaust which appears *identical* now weights 2 lbs. more?

Supposedly from Yammie's European FJR press introduction:

Yamaha_engine.img_assist_custom-500x371.jpg

And associated verbage:

Direct-plated sleeveless cylindersDirect-plated sleeveless cylinders are used on the FJR models for the first time, and the new design is similar to that which has been successfully used on the YZF-R1 and YZF-R6 supersport models.

Rather than using a conventional liner or sleeve which is fitted within the alloy cylinders, the new system features a hardened bore that has been electro-plated directly onto the alloy. The main advantage is that is improves heat dissipation to give consistently strong engine running performance.

Not to keep flogging this same old horse, but the above statement (and picture) are patently false. It says that the sleeveless cylinder is new, IOW the prior FJR engines had "conventional liners or sleeves", when in fact it was announced way back in 2002 that the FJR engine employs a "Ceramic Composite Cylinder Coating", which is another way of saying they coated the bores in the alloy block and there are no sleeves. Never have been.

Is it minor disinformation? Absolutely. But it does show that they can, and do, make mistakes in their product press releases.

It's what happens when you have marketing type people trying to interpret engineering type people's design statements.

Last edited by a moderator:
... and to pick a nit, it says they've reduced the catalysers (sic) to 2 with a leader line pointing to the exhaust header. (Damn foreign marketing departments that can't spell.) Does that mean they used to have 4? Don't know; could've had 5, or 23 ..........

... and to pick a nit, it says they've reduced the catalysers (sic) to 2 with a leader line pointing to the exhaust header. (Damn foreign marketing departments that can't spell.) Does that mean they used to have 4? Don't know; could've had 5, or 23 ..........
This is what happens when you come late to the party and don't read the whole thread.........

R

Didn't read all 40 pages but I did search the thread and the subject didn't come up but it's looking like the California Highway Patrol may be sporting the new FJR since the Kawi Concourse is now officially a dead dog as an LEO Motor platform. The buzz is they're in, they're just waiting on Yamaha to cross some T's and dot some I's, and Jerry Brown to approve the spending. It's still buzz but comes from a previously reliable CHP source.