2013 FJR - Product announced!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Chuck Norris needs no cats in his system.

chucknorrisskydive.jpg

While you folks argue about cats--I much prefer dogs--I'm waiting to see a UK review of any differences in riding characteristics between the 2013A and AS, the latter with inverted forks and other suspension differences. I can't begin to understand Yamaha's thinking on this: If you want to invigorate the image--and sales--of an older design, why make those changes on only one of these models, and then on the lesser seller of the two? I'm just baffled by this.

Easy: the AS guys are gonna be beta testers. All that stuff will be on the '14 or '15 A, once they get the tuning worked out.

A perfect case in point is how everyone is trying to tell us that the new 2013 FJR now has a new cylinder design with an alloy block and hardened coating in the bores that eliminate the steel sleeves. It never had steel sleeves. But there are several places where that quote shows up now.
Not sure what your point is here? There are new changes. So they get one word wrong - 'steel' instead of ceramic.

These magazines get the stuff from Yamaha's press release, not other magazines. Sheesh, you boys are incredulous.

So, how do you explain the different part numbers and the fact the exhaust which appears *identical* now weights 2 lbs. more?

I just put a deposit down on the first 2013 FJR that shows up at Alamo Cycle Plex.

I have about 100,000 miles on the first two and can't remember why I sold either one.

:yahoo:

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats! :clapping:

A FB friend test drive the 2013 yesterday and his first comment where “It is the old pots that makes the best soup”.

Waiting for his review in Motoplus.ca shortly.

Gen-II added one cog to the drivetrain, dropping all RPMs by whatever the percentage was, but supposedly about 500 rpm at 70 mph. The 2013 reportedly changes the fifth gear ratio to drop only that gear's engine RPMs for 'touring' without impacting on the performance available in gears 1-4.

500 rpm drop at 70mph would be a 12-13% reduction. The 2.7% gearing change for Gen2 nets a "much" more relaxed 100 rpm reduction at 70 mph. The math doesn't lie although I'm beginning to think some tachs and speedos do. Another way to look at it is the 2.7% higher gearing will get you 2.7% higher mph at any given rpm. At 70mph, 2.7% is a whopping 1.89 mph. The Gen2 advantage ain't much. Can't tell I own a superior Gen1, canya? ;)

A 6% change in gearing over the Gen2 would be needed to get 80 mph @ 4000 rpm. Now that's more like it. Would be nearly a 1000 rpm drop from 4th to 5th if shifting at 80 mph but I'm sure the engine could handle it.

More muffler talk...but as to the Gen III: I'm guessing those Akrapovic Slip-On's are going to be the sweet ticket. Looks like Yamaha let them have the bike pre-release to get them developed. Who wants to take a guess on cost? I'm thinking $800/set.

More muffler talk...but as to the Gen III: I'm guessing those Akrapovic Slip-On's are going to be the sweet ticket. Looks like Yamaha let them have the bike pre-release to get them developed. Who wants to take a guess on cost? I'm thinking $800/set.
Do you think the Akrapovic's will have cats? Won't the 4 kittys be in the collector box? Of course, that doesn't explain why the superior Gen II's cans are 2 lbs. heavier........

Last edited by a moderator:
$1200-1400/set.

I just put a deposit down on the first 2013 FJR that shows up at Alamo Cycle Plex.

I have about 100,000 miles on the first two and can't remember why I sold either one.
Congrats! I can't ever imagine my garage NOT being equipped with an FJR...number 3 for me! :)

--G

$1200-1400/set.
That's more what I figure. Tack on at least $200 over the already expensive price of a set of Akra's if they are considered "Official Yamaha aftermarket equipment."
I did have a carbon fiber Akra on my FZ1...man that thing was quality bits and I loved it. I'm not sure what I cried more over as my bike departed my driveway with the buyer....the bike or the pipe.