2013 FJR - Product announced!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Colored bulbs suck! They filter out lumens trying to project the white light. Real Xenon is the only way, no fake titties need apply!
Even "Xenon" bulbs suck. They are just incandescent bulbs where the envelope has been filled with Xenon gas instead of halogen.

What you want (and probably what you meant) is Xenon HID lamps. With HID there is no filament. It is a gas arc that is making all the light.

Oh, and I don't see what's so bad about fake titties either. (this should spur a series of interesting pictures) :rolleyes:
True Xenon are Ballast driven and the bulbs are totally clear, they're not so round as the fake titties either ;)

02_thumb.jpg

Fred- You opened up a can of Xenon Boobage! lol

My advice is if you want to sell your "old" FJR to do it early! If you wait till this G3 is available you only have a flood of other bikes on the market doing the exact same as you. Lot's of available older version FJR's = buyers market. nuff said.

Is it too early to bitch? Why can't a bike that knows what gear it is in, what speed it is going, throttle position, and whether not the brakes are being applied, has all sorts of other whiz-bang technology, not have self cancelling turn signals? It should be easy for a computer programmer to come up with a solution given all the info available. Yes, I still forget to turn them off every time, and I see plenty of others with the same affliction. To me it's a safety issue, cancelers should be mandatory.

Other than that, I like it. Thankfully, they didn't make a change to a 6 speed gearbox.

What's up with all the excitement?

From every picture I've looked at, it still appears to be shaft drive.

OM promised me a chain. (ooops)

Mark

It is perfect. Just enough new stuff to make it competitive, but not enough to tease me into wanting to replace my Gen 1. ;)
Speak for yourself!!!! :dribble:
+1 :dribble: :dribble:

I am going to start defarkling my 03' this winter for sale in the spring. I finally have a Sport Touring replacement bike after 10+ years of wonderful 03' ownership.

Thank you Yamaha!! :yahoo:
+1

It's no secret that I've been test riding possible replacements for my bike. The new bike has put the FJR back in the hunt (other than another Gen 1). I may be going down the defarkling path with you over the winter as well. If that's the case, look for a sale on some nice Gen 1 goodies in the spring. I'm gonna wait to see what the new owners/press have to say about the bike first though.

I'm happy to see Yammie finally step up to the plate with some really nice evolutionary changes as opposed to coming out with an entirely new scoot. As much as I liked the new S10 to ride, the bike just doesn't do it for me in the looks department. I'm shallow that way :D
Fred W: Is it way too soon to officially declare "this one" DEAD to we Gen1 owners? Bungie, don't you have CFR 2013 maps that you are supposed to be working on? jes' sayin' and nuff' said!

Ohhhh that's not right... no no no, not at all bro.

Your a Gen2 guy, the only ones who can say Gen3's suck are Gen1 guys... especially the ones who can't adapt to changes well ;)

Gen I :yahoo:

Gen II :yahoo: :yahoo:

Gen III :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:
Oh come on, we Gen II can gang up on the Gen III with the Gen I guys. On the up side, this'll give two generations for the Gen I guys to bitch about. I bet they couldn't be happier. :p
Us Gen 2 guys cannot lower our standards to those Gen 1-ers, they want to live in the past so be it. I think of us Gen 2-ers as way more adaptive to new(er) technology.

So take an oath... "we cannot lower our standards to Gen-1 mentality!". And "we totally approve of moving forward!". :lol:
No no no, the "Adaptive to new(er) technology" guys will be the ones who jump ship and trade in their Gen II's for the Gen III. Those of us still on the Gen II are either holding on or too broke for a brand new bike. :D

Sadly, the decision to sell now or wait till the G3 comes out is bad timing either way. It's fall, bad time to sell bikes, but if you wait till the market picks up in the spring, the G3 will be out and you'll have to deal with the results of that on the market.

My advice is if you want to sell your "old" FJR to do it early! If you wait till this G3 is available you only have a flood of other bikes on the market doing the exact same as you. Lot's of available older version FJR's = buyers market. nuff said.
Well thats the thing in my case. I love my Gen 1 lots, but it's getting up there in miles (just a red one short of 100,000 miles) and therefore, isn't worth diddly used. It has more value as a trade, at least, easier to dispose of, if I can find a dealer to take it in. Failing that, another Gen 1 will get the nod and their will be a farkling migration party.

Sometimes the heart will override the brain when it comes to bikes in my case.

WHOA! Hold up! Just read on Visordown That the engine is now sleeveless. Total deal breaker for me. I've had two vehicles over the years that fuxed me over because they were linerless.

(Guess where that weight savings came from).

WHOA! Hold up! Just read on Visordown That the engine is now sleeveless. Total deal breaker for me. I've had two vehicles over the years that fuxed me over because they were linerless.

Ummm... Steve. That 1st gen out in your garage? Yeah, that's sleeve-less. FJR's had a single piece ceramic coated block since day one.

That's why folks go engine shopping when they have low compression issues traceable to blow-by.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like it! Yamaha has made many of the changes we've asked for so hopefully sales will show it. The instrument cluster definitely has a very modern appearance as well as the fairings.

Yes, I still forget to turn them off every time, and I see plenty of others with the same affliction. To me it's a safety issue, cancelers should be mandatory.
Must be age related :D

I Know Fitter and a few others seem to suffer from this same affliction.

Ummm... Steve. That 1st gen out in your garage? Yeah, that's sleeve-less. FJR's had a single piece ceramic coated block since day one.

That's why folks go engine shopping when they have low compression issues traceable to blow-by.
Well no shit? Guess I got lucky. But you do realize you've probably taken a replacement Gen 1 off short list for me. Bastard.

Is it too early to bitch? Why can't a bike that knows what gear it is in, what speed it is going, throttle position, and whether not the brakes are being applied, has all sorts of other whiz-bang technology, not have self cancelling turn signals? It should be easy for a computer programmer to come up with a solution given all the info available. Yes, I still forget to turn them off every time, and I see plenty of others with the same affliction. To me it's a safety issue, cancelers should be mandatory.

Other than that, I like it. Thankfully, they didn't make a change to a 6 speed gearbox.
Kisan signalminder-and yes it should be on the new bike...my FJ1200 had them..

Speaking for myself, digital speedometer sucks. With analog, I'm comfortable when I'm within 2-3 mph of my "target" cruising speed - when the needle is close to the mark. With the damn digitals, I'm forever rolling on or off the throttle to stay on target - the exact target. I rode my brother's Bandit 1250S and the digital speedo drove me nuts. No thanks!