2013 FJR - Product announced!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
+1 :dribble: :dribble:

I am going to start defarkling my 03' this winter for sale in the spring. I finally have a Sport Touring replacement bike after 10+ years of wonderful 03' ownership.

Thank you Yamaha!! :yahoo:

Now can we have it in silver w/black rims! :D

No mention of the self-cancel turn signals, not that it matters to me.

Curious to see what the $$$ on the Gen III will be.

FINALLY....an FJR to get (mildly) excited about. (???)

After 7 model years of the Gen II Embarrassment, we get the Gen III...I can see the recall list already starting!

But all the "good stuff" will probably be left on the Euro-Only AS (AE) model. :(

And WTF is wrong with Yamaha's U.S. website that they can't get it updated? Fookin' Slackers!!

edit: Can't help but wondering if all those 2011/2012 buyers are now thinking "****-****-****-****-****-****-****-****-****!!!"

edit#2: Wonder how long before mcatrophy is gonna dump his 2010 on a 2013??? Common Mac, we need ride reports!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
My dealer told me an AE (now deemed AS) version was coming back, I thought he was smoking crack balls! I'm always fecking wrong! ..at least that's what my g/f says :evilsmiley:

I (still) really like this AE/AS option a lot and glad they're bringing it back to the US market. I will miss it on my new Beemer, but so far seeing this G3, this is the only thing I will miss so I'm still HAPPY-HAPPY!

Speaking for myself, digital speedometer sucks. With analog, I'm comfortable when I'm within 2-3 mph of my "target" cruising speed - when the needle is close to the mark. With the damn digitals, I'm forever rolling on or off the throttle to stay on target - the exact target.
Cruise Control should cure that!

Speaking for myself, digital speedometer sucks. With analog, I'm comfortable when I'm within 2-3 mph of my "target" cruising speed - when the needle is close to the mark. With the damn digitals, I'm forever rolling on or off the throttle to stay on target - the exact target. I rode my brother's Bandit 1250S and the digital speedo drove me nuts. No thanks!
I agree. I'm with you.....I hate digital speedometers. I feel like I keep seeing them flicker as speed changes.

It's easier to see out of the periferal (sp?) vision the pie shape of a typical analog speedometer.

Perfect timing for me. I'll give them 2 years to sort out any bugs, then wait for a bike to languish on some dealer's floor for 2 more years as this shitty world economy grinds on, then in 2017 I'll get my brand new 2 year old 2015 FJR for a huge discount--I'm thinking around $12K out the door. I CAN'T WAIT!!!! :p

Speaking for myself, digital speedometer sucks. With analog, I'm comfortable when I'm within 2-3 mph of my "target" cruising speed - when the needle is close to the mark. With the damn digitals, I'm forever rolling on or off the throttle to stay on target - the exact target. I rode my brother's Bandit 1250S and the digital speedo drove me nuts. No thanks!
I agree. I'm with you.....I hate digital speedometers. I feel like I keep seeing them flicker as speed changes.

It's easier to see out of the periferal (sp?) vision the pie shape of a typical analog speedometer.
I rode with you Iris and personally I never believed you guys ever looked down at anything but maybe the road! :p

+1 :dribble: :dribble:

I am going to start defarkling my 03' this winter for sale in the spring. I finally have a Sport Touring replacement bike after 10+ years of wonderful 03' ownership.

Thank you Yamaha!! :yahoo:

Now can we have it in silver w/black rims! :D

No mention of the self-cancel turn signals, not that it matters to me.

Curious to see what the $$$ on the Gen III will be.

Looks like they're giving us the black rims anyway. ;)

That Magnetic Bronze is starting to grow on me. :dribble:

One thing we know for sure, the price will be much higher than what we paid for the 03' back in 02' :blink:

Me like! :wub:

Enough to consider the extra cost to for a new custom seat, front suspension, windshield, modified fuel cell, etc.

And I'll be the first one to say the amount of tweaks surprised me.....the pictures look like they finally fixed the defective side stand! ;)

My advice is if you want to sell your "old" FJR to do it early! If you wait till this G3 is available you only have a flood of other bikes on the market doing the exact same as you. Lot's of available older version FJR's = buyers market. nuff said.
Well thats the thing in my case. I love my Gen 1 lots, but it's getting up there in miles (just a red one short of 100,000 miles) and therefore, isn't worth diddly used. It has more value as a trade, at least, easier to dispose of, if I can find a dealer to take it in. Failing that, another Gen 1 will get the nod and their will be a farkling migration party.

Sometimes the heart will override the brain when it comes to bikes in my case.

I've been thinking the same thing. I'll probably sell off the farkles that can not move over to the Gen 3 and trade her in if I can't get rid of her locally.

I'm not expecting to get much out of her at this point. She has treated me very well. Except for the stator & R/R. I look forward to some more output in the electrical arena.

Colored bulbs suck! They filter out lumens trying to project the white light. Real Xenon is the only way, no fake titties need apply!
Even "Xenon" bulbs suck. They are just incandescent bulbs where the envelope has been filled with Xenon gas instead of halogen.

What you want (and probably what you meant) is Xenon HID lamps. With HID there is no filament. It is a gas arc that is making all the light.

Oh, and I don't see what's so bad about fake titties either. (this should spur a series of interesting pictures) :rolleyes:
Ding. Now where are those other pics.... :p

Is it too early to bitch? Why can't a bike that knows what gear it is in, what speed it is going, throttle position, and whether not the brakes are being applied, has all sorts of other whiz-bang technology, not have self cancelling turn signals? It should be easy for a computer programmer to come up with a solution given all the info available. Yes, I still forget to turn them off every time, and I see plenty of others with the same affliction. To me it's a safety issue, cancelers should be mandatory.

Other than that, I like it. Thankfully, they didn't make a change to a 6 speed gearbox.
Kisan signalminder-and yes it should be on the new bike...my FJ1200 had them..
My 1979 Yamaha RD400 Daytona Special had them as standard equipment from the factory and they worked very well, can't figure why Yamaha dropped this feature....

It is indeed a very nice upgrade.

Even enough to make me consider procuring one. Though I will likely wait a model year.... lots of upgrades might introduce a fair number of bugs/issues that need to be ironed out.

Cosmetic changes are pretty awesome, to my eye. The nose and front cowling areas look a lot more modern.

Going to be interesting, checking out this machine.... B)

I can't wait to start seeing forum peeps show up at the RTE with a brand new 2013 FJR equipped with Streetpilot GPS units. :yahoo:

Per Fred W:

If that is your plan, you really blew it. Now your '03 is 10 model years and 4 generations old (the '04-'05's were really a generation removed from the earlier ones). It'll be worth about $3.75 on the open market now, but only if you throw in a cup a coffee in the deal. :p But seriously, I wouldn't part with my '05 for one of these new ones unless I had to (something happened to my '05) and even then I'd pro'lly buy another ABS BBB just so the farkles would all transfer. ;)

You're right Fred, it's not going to be worth much at this point. I may just have to trade it in if the market is flooded next Spring.

For me it will be a really nice upgrade as I don't have ABS on my 03' and they have added a lot of really nice features that I've wanted. I'm sure it's going to be in the $18k range with the Triumph.

At least most of my farkles will transfer. I'll have quite a few Gen 1 farkles of the tasty variety for sale. (RDL and Rick Mayer Seats, Wilbers w/remote, superbrace, Heli-Bar risers, lenkerapdaptors, wild bill highway pegs etc....)

Well the AE did last retail for $16,200 (mine) for the '09 model.

Price wise I'm hearing up, up, up and with the additions like new front inverted forks/suspension (AS) Elec C/C and a few more nice additions... hmmm... wadda ya think on a loaded AS/AE model? $19K, $20K ??? ...more? this will be the deciding factor for many here with all these newly found G3 admirers.