2013 FJR - Product announced!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's a more appropriate picture of Cassandra, our Skagit Power Sports Gal, as she demonstrated the ease with which the fairing vent is adjusted to the "Open" position on the new 2013 FJR.

IMG_3460.jpg

As for that Duc in the earlier post, it took her all of 30 seconds to sell me that bike this past summer. :rolleyes:

Nice pic Roger and a good looking 'duc too! After you left, Cassandra was telling us about your garage collection!

'13 in the new year, huh? ;) Just in time for the spring Tech Meet!

--G

Well I call Bull Shit!

My 10 spiders at 0 miles were oxidized on 3 of my spiders. And I mean enough to sand and spray ACF 50 and then completely coated with liquid tape. So wire gauge or whatever the spiders are shit, period.

Drink the Kool Aid but if they have not changed that arrangement it is spider bites waiting to happen, period.

And as to a wiring part being a different number, who cares? If they have not resolved the spider connections, it is still the same old issue. They can change a length of wire and give it a new part number.
Well, no... I call BULL SHIT on YOU!!!!

:finger:

Show me just ONE documented case of a wiring harness failure on a 2010+ FJR. Just ONE.

Here's a more appropriate picture of Cassandra, our Skagit Power Sports Gal, as she demonstrated the ease with which the fairing vent is adjusted to the "Open" position on the new 2013 FJR.

IMG_3460.jpg

As for that Duc in the earlier post, it took her all of 30 seconds to sell me that bike this past summer. :rolleyes:
Casandra is one of my favorite people. I bought 8 bikes there over the years and If I get the chance I'll buy another one from her. I always get a big hug when I visit. :yahoo:

Is that where Tom and I went for our tires?? I don't remember seeing Cassandra there. Just a band that was frigging awful and a hottie behind the parts counter. Almost invited her back to your place for the Bar-b-que...yum!!

Well I call Bull Shit!

My 10 spiders at 0 miles were oxidized on 3 of my spiders. And I mean enough to sand and spray ACF 50 and then completely coated with liquid tape. So wire gauge or whatever the spiders are shit, period.

Drink the Kool Aid but if they have not changed that arrangement it is spider bites waiting to happen, period.

And as to a wiring part being a different number, who cares? If they have not resolved the spider connections, it is still the same old issue. They can change a length of wire and give it a new part number.
Well, no... I call BULL SHIT on YOU!!!!

:finger:

Show me just ONE documented case of a wiring harness failure on a 2010+ FJR. Just ONE.
Well the proof is in the picture. Of course when Jim Jones feed the kool aid to his folks, the first symptom was blindness!

How many 10's and above have been sold and on the road compared to all the FJR's before the 09's?

I love the bike for sure, you not so much.

Time will tell but if they did not re-engineer the grounding spiders, and upgrade the wiring to a heavier gauge to handle more output it is the same old issue.

Cling to your no 10 issues but how do we know? This forum is not the world and everyone who has had an issue with a FJR does not belong or post here. And because they were not recalled does not mean they are fine, just not enough reported to trigger it?

I know the picture does not lie and it was the best of three that needed done. So if that is an acceptable piece of engineering in wiring then good for you, it is not for me. Different acceptance levels of quality I suppose.

As I said great strides in the bike and all in the right direction, but if the wiring is still the same old then Yamaha has missed it's mark.

So right back at ya :finger:

Last edited by a moderator:
First off, I'm really glad that Yamaha has finally upgraded our FJRs. The changes they made are wonderful and I may buy a GenIII yet, but I'm disappointed in a few things I've seen so far.

I'm disappointed in the fact that they are still using the same method to join ground wires together. Skooty can call me chicken little all he wants, but it doesn't change my opinion that they could have done better here.

I'm disappointed that they didn't beef up the rear sub-frame. This is supposed to be a touring bike. I managed to break my plastic grab bar on my '09 with nothing in my top case. Had I not been watching for it, it would have progressed to cracking the sub-frame. I now run a Givi 357, so I'm less concerned about it, but I still keep the stuff I put in that box to a minimum.

I'm also disappointed in the 80mph limit of the cruise control. Bummer.

Is that where Tom and I went for our tires?? I don't remember seeing Cassandra there. Just a band that was frigging awful and a hottie behind the parts counter. Almost invited her back to your place for the Bar-b-que...yum!!
'zilla, you need to come a little further north to visit Cassandra. Skagit PowerSports is in Burlington, about an hour north of Seattle.

Come on over and visit!

--G

Heads up!

Theirs rumblings Yamaha is going to introduce and FJR800 based on the 3 cyl cross-plane crank configuration.

If they just take an 800 fizzy and slap bags on it and call it and FJR, I'm out. But if it's shaft and has most of the bigger features of the 13, I'm most definitely interested.

Time'll tell.

Did anybody notice, while very minor, that now the windshield does not retract when the ignition is turned off.
Are you sure you have this right?

I'm thinking they did like the Beemer 1600 where it has memory of where you were when you shut off the bike . So basically it retracts fully when shut off, but when you startup the bike it goes back to that memory position (where it was when it was last set).

...gotta be, I'm sure this was copied as such.
I recall the U.S. Yamaha site stated the windscreen did not recline when ignition switched off.

Heads up!

Theirs rumblings Yamaha is going to introduce and FJR800 based on the 3 cyl cross-plane crank configuration.

If they just take an 800 fizzy and slap bags on it and call it and FJR, I'm out. But if it's shaft and has most of the bigger features of the 13, I'm most definitely interested.

Time'll tell.
Really? This is big news (if it's real). I myself see a lot of need and desire for an 800 class sport touring bike.

Rather than discuss it here, maybe we should start a new thread in the speculation subforum? :p

I will be hanging onto my 09 because money doesn't grow on trees... but even if I did have the cash, I would want an A model but the fact that it doesn't have the electronic suspension is kind of a turn off (why have it only on the AE/AS ?). Kinda glad to see the 1300cc remain (means that Yamaha have trust in their design). I have to admit, initially I was disappointed to see a 5 speed, but really, it works fine and ultimately it gets the job done. So, will sales hurt because folks will turn away from the 5 speed ? I figure if the rest of the bike sells itself, the tranny won't make a big difference.

I wish money did grow on trees... I am loving the overall look of this 2013.
The Ymamha site mentions the trans has been upgraded and the 5th gear is an overdrive. If this is true, who needs the 6th gear.

The Ymamha site mentions the trans has been upgraded and the 5th gear is an overdrive. If this is true, who needs the 6th gear.
Both Gens, 5th gear has always been an overdrive. The transmission has been mechanically reworked but AFAIK the gear ratios remain the same as Gen II. If the ratios did get a tweak it will be small.

Well the proof is in the picture. Of course when Jim Jones feed the kool aid to his folks, the first symptom was blindness!
Yo, Jackwagon! You need advice whether to use 85 octane gas or not and I am supposed to trust you on 'alleged' electrical issues? I think NOT! :D

ONE! Just one. Show me just one confirmed 10+ failure and I'll shut up and start whining just like you. :)

https://www.yamaha-mo...up=M#contentTop

"Revised, wide ratio 5-speed transmission utilizes widely spaced gear ratios for relaxed long-distance sport touring performance combined with seamless acceleration. 5th gear is an overdrive gear to reduce rpms at highway speeds. A new gear machining method is used on selected gears to reduce transmission noise."

"Revised" probably means something was changed. One might say 5th has always been an overdrive ratio (0.929).
If what the official Yamaha site states is truly an overdrive, I expect in 5th gear the RPM's at 4K will read 85MPH on the speedo. What good is an overdirve if it does not reduce RPM's. The bike has adequate HP to handle the higher gear. I'll take the improved MPG and drop into 4th for a quick pass any day.

Um, there's more to gearing than 5th. There's the primary ratio and the final drive ratio as well. All it means to say overdrive is that the output shaft spins faster than the input shaft of the transmission. Which it does.

The primary doesn't have to be 1 to 1, meaning the tranny input does not have to be crankshaft speed. I can't be bothered to see if it's 1 to 1 or something else on the feej, Just trying to define overdrive for you.

Well the proof is in the picture. Of course when Jim Jones fed the kool aid to his folks, the first symptom was blindness!
Yo, Jackwagon! You need advice whether to use 85 octane gas or not and I am supposed to trust you on 'alleged' electrical issues? I think NOT! :D

ONE! Just one. Show me just one confirmed 10+ failure and I'll shut up and start whining just like you. :)