2013 FJR - Product announced!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Really? This is big news (if it's real). I myself see a lot of need and desire for an 800 class sport touring bike.

Rather than discuss it here, maybe we should start a new thread in the speculation subforum? :p
Me too. Forget I mentioned it until their are some spy shots or something other than somebody heard it from their friends ex-wifes bakers cousin who ......

Theirs rumblings Yamaha is going . . .

Me too. Forget I mentioned it until their are some . . . heard it from their friends ex-wifes bakers cousin who ......
https://www.wikihow.com/Use-There,-Their-and-They're

(Note: the last one is correct)
Whilst I agree with you 100%, unfortunately you're fighting a totally lost battle.

95% or more of people get "it's" and "its" wrong.

"to", "too" get confused.

"rode" and "road".

There are many more examples.

I've given up moaning, even though incorrect spelling slows my reading and comprehension rates down immensely, having to re-read passages to try to interpret what the writer means.

I also am under the impression that posting complaints of people's English (or lack of it) means immediate relegation into the NEPRT area.

Well the proof is in the picture. Of course when Jim Jones feed the kool aid to his folks, the first symptom was blindness!
Yo, Jackwagon! You need advice whether to use 85 octane gas or not and I am supposed to trust you on 'alleged' electrical issues? I think NOT! :D

ONE! Just one. Show me just one confirmed 10+ failure and I'll shut up and start whining just like you. :)
You my friend are King of your own kingdom. A Jester in your own court.

Advice on 85 well that post is still rolling so I must not be the only one who has never seen 85?

Look it is the same old system. If they waterproofed or changed the spiders fine, if they upgraded the size of wire that is fine, but if neither of those two things were done, how can you say what you say? I know my 10 wiring and spiders are the EXACT same as a 08, so what did they change? Ohh that's right the PART NUMBER!

Why did many folks not bother with the recall? Because it was the same as what they had and they did not want a monkey ripping their wiring and bike apart. Why should they when the additional harnesses developed on this Forum put the factory wiring to shame.

Lets not even talk about the revelation of the wiring concerning the RR that has been brought to light recently.

Alleged wiring issues? You are past all help, and are in a state of delusional blindness.

King, Jester, and Fool, you are all those in your own Kingdom.

https://www.yamaha-mo...up=M#contentTop

"Revised, wide ratio 5-speed transmission utilizes widely spaced gear ratios for relaxed long-distance sport touring performance combined with seamless acceleration. 5th gear is an overdrive gear to reduce rpms at highway speeds. A new gear machining method is used on selected gears to reduce transmission noise."

"Revised" probably means something was changed. One might say 5th has always been an overdrive ratio (0.929).
If what the official Yamaha site states is truly an overdrive, I expect in 5th gear the RPM's at 4K will read 85MPH on the speedo. What good is an overdirve if it does not reduce RPM's. The bike has adequate HP to handle the higher gear. I'll take the improved MPG and drop into 4th for a quick pass any day.

The transmission gear ratios in the first and second gen bikes has always been identical in all 5 gears, and was always an overdrive in 5th gear. For the second gens they dropped one tooth in the final drive and upped the secondary drive ratio to reduce rpm in all gears (not just 5th).

As far as anyone can determine thus far, all ratios on the third gen are identical to 2nd gens.

...what did they change? Ohh that's right the PART NUMBER!...
[rhetorical questions removed]

If Yamaha changed the base metal or the plating type on the spiders it could have a major impact on spider failures, yet the parts may look the same. Changing part numbers in an ECO controlled environment is enough work that the engineers wouldn't casually change part numbers unless something changed. I wonder if someone ordering spiders for a '06 would automatically get the new part number spiders from the '10 and up.

Well the proof is in the picture. Of course when Jim Jones fed the kool aid to his folks, the first symptom was blindness!
ONE! Just one. Show me just one confirmed 10+ failure and I'll shut up and start whining just like you. :)

King, Butt Nugget, Jester, Jerkoff and Fool, you are all those in your own Kingdom.
LAF you forgot to mention Butt Nugget and Jerkoff but I went ahead and fixed it for you, no need to thank me: You are Welcome!

Advice on 85 well that post is still rolling so I must not be the only one who has never seen 85?

Look it is the same old system. If they waterproofed or changed the spiders fine, if they upgraded the size of wire that is fine, but if neither of those two things were done, how can you say what you say? I know my 10 wiring and spiders are the EXACT same as a 08, so what did they change? Ohh that's right the PART NUMBER!

Why did many folks not bother with the recall? Because it was the same as what they had and they did not want a monkey ripping their wiring and bike apart. Why should they when the additional harnesses developed on this Forum put the factory wiring to shame.

Lets not even talk about the revelation of the wiring concerning the RR that has been brought to light recently.

Alleged wiring issues? You are past all help, and are in a state of delusional blindness.

King, Jester, and Fool, you are all those in your own Kingdom.
One. Show me just one single failure.

Then you can call me all the names you want.

Last edited by a moderator:
...what did they change? Ohh that's right the PART NUMBER!...
[rhetorical questions removed]

If Yamaha changed the base metal or the plating type on the spiders it could have a major impact on spider failures, yet the parts may look the same. Changing part numbers in an ECO controlled environment is enough work that the engineers wouldn't casually change part numbers unless something changed. I wonder if someone ordering spiders for a '06 would automatically get the new part number spiders from the '10 and up.
Yabbut...

A part number change for the wiring harness does not conclusively indicate that the engineers did anything to improve the ground spider reliability. That part number change could have just as likely been due to some other change somewhere else in that assembly that was unrelated to spiders in that model year.

The fact that the 2010's and later were specifically excluded from the NHTSA safety recall is better evidence that there is a difference in that design than the part number change. Yamaha would have had to describe and define the effectivity of the recall to the NHTSA, and those Feds would have wanted to know why not to include the later years.

It appears from MCAtrophy's pictures that they did change the wire gauge on some wires and there are less connections to the offensive spider bodies. There also may have been other materials changes as ionbeam mentioned. In any case, we will have to wait and see if any '10 or later bikes start burning them up.

FWIW, there are apparently many other bikes manufactured that employed this gang grounding technique. It is apparently a recent standard design practice for Japanese manufacturers. My '04 Suzuki V-strom is also riddled with them. But none of these others seem to have been overloaded to the point of common failure. That was the issue with the second gen FJRs, at least the '06-'09 model year ones.

Holyschmolly been away for the weekend, read thru the 6 new pages of new riff here but everything kind of went nowhere quick. Learned nothing definite, almost everything questioned or canceled out... but that's probably just me :glare:

It was pointed out to me earlier in this thread that it took up to 3 years or more for the grounding problems to show up on 06 models, so perhaps the 2010 models are due for meltdowns beginning any day now.....

.....or Yamaha fixed the problem and it's not an issue.

Flip a coin...take your chances. :p :p :p

After looking at MCAtrophy's pic is does appear that gauge of wire is bigger, but I would need to locate the exact spider to confirm it is not the same as my 10.

I am all for solution and resolution of this spider/wiring issue. I am not slamming the FJR at all, just Yamaha for not addressing the issue sooner and with a more robust fix.

Indeed if they plated the spiders in a different material and protected them better all is good. If they indeed upgrade the wiring and path, that is good also.

I do not like pissing matches but when I look at the harness on a 08 and then my 10 and they are identical, well what would you think?

It is all good, I want a 13 or 14 as soon as I know how they are going to shake out. But if I see one report of electrical issues on these 13's it would be the end of that want. I can not logically see Yamaha not stepping to the plate as they advance the FJR platform. I would give an extra 100.00 for larger wiring and better connections. At production it probably would not even cost 100 bucks to move a gauge or two up on the wiring and ensure a margin of error.

And as far as giving me a negative rating, well I just may not be able to sleep tonight.

I hate to interupt the fisticuffs, but I have a question about the Gen III.

I saw my first one this weekend at CT Powersports in Georgetown Texas. I'm not sure, but it doesn't look like current generation frame sliders will work with the new fairings. Do frame sliders for the 2013 FJR exist?

As a 29" inseam rider, I really appreciate my sliders.

Another detail is the heat guard on the right pipe. I wear Cruzerworks boots that have rubber heals. When I picked up my 2008 my first ride was 500 miles from the selling dealer to my home in Austin. I had big black blobs of melted rubber on both pipes and corresponding bites out of the heels of both boots. I was glad to see the very nice looking heat guard on the right pipe, but wondered why there was no corresponding guard on the left pipe. What was Mama Yama thinking?

I hate to interupt the fisticuffs, but I have a question about the Gen III.

I saw my first one this weekend at CT Powersports in Georgetown Texas. I'm not sure, but it doesn't look like current generation frame sliders will work with the new fairings
No, they won't.

Do frame sliders for the 2013 FJR exist?
In Europe, they do as a Genuine Yamaha Accessory (read: mega-$$$, if you can even get them) I will wait for the R&G version

Another detail is the heat guard on the right pipe. I wear Cruzerworks boots that have rubber heals. When I picked up my 2008 my first ride was 500 miles from the selling dealer to my home in Austin. I had big black blobs of melted rubber on both pipes and corresponding bites out of the heels of both boots. I was glad to see the very nice looking heat guard on the right pipe, but wondered why there was no corresponding guard on the left pipe. What was Mama Yama thinking?
There were a hefty number of folks complaining about burning their right boot far, FAR more than the left boot (the speculation being: one had a tendency to keep the left boot a little bit more forward as a natural consequence of shifting... but they were forever burning their right boot.

Here's the easy fix for Gen I/II bikes.... FJRTech.net: Tanji Heel Guards

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the quick response Warchild.

There were a hefty number of folks complaining about burning their right boot far, FAR more than the left boot (the speculation being: one had a tendency to keep the left boot a little bit more forward as a natural consequence of shifting... but they were forever burning their right boot.

Here's the easy fix for Gen I/II bikes.... FJRTech.net: Tanji Heel Guards
I do use the Tanji guards now.

I had more heat issues with the left pipe, because, like all all technology advanced riders, I use a paddle shiftier rather than a primitive mechanical contraption. ;)

https://www.yamaha-mo...ticle&id=517922

Link to European Yamaha site which touches on the design philosophy behind the FJR
Nice find!

It's also fun to flip between the early and final sketch to see differences. It's interesting they toyed with going to a single exhaust. The mirror positions moved slightly between the sketches and I see the final sketch is a bit off in that the front marker lights ended up making it from the earlier sketch.

Link to European Yamaha site which touches on the design philosophy behind the FJR
Nice find!

It's also fun to flip between the early and final sketch to see differences. It's interesting they toyed with going to a single exhaust. The mirror positions moved slightly between the sketches and I see the final sketch is a bit off in that the front marker lights ended up making it from the earlier sketch.
Cool.

Final passenger peg placement is that of the first sketch also.

Nice find!

The write up indicates to me that Yamaha will continue to favor the sport aspect of sport touring which is fine by me!