2013 FJR - Product announced!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just came back from looking at VIN#20. That really is a great looking bike, pictures don't do it justice. I sat and talked FJR's with Yves the owner. Both he and his wife both ride FJR's (btw, I extended a personal invite to CFR). Great guy. He gave me the full walk-thru of all the changes and the video game dashboard. I like! a lot!

He likes it so much he's going to take it out for a ride tomorrow. Gotta like a dealer who likes his product that much. He was saying he just found out that he's sold more AE's than any other dealer in Canada. Pretty good for a rinky-dink little dealer in the middle of farming town in Northern Ontario. We got talking about AE's and how the 13's have the different suspension and that a lot of guys are holding out for that one. His exact words were they were going to wait for ever because, despite selling the most AE's in Canada, Yamaha has basically told him not to ever expect it again here. It just didn't sell enough. Take it for what it's worth.

Now I have to decided if I'm going to pop for the new one or not. Brain says hell no! My heart says HELL YES!

But I am going to wait for the 2014, that will have the inverted forks and electronically adjustable suspension like the AE in Europe.
-
Wait, are you saying the inverted forks are coming in 2014 on the non-AE model? Or wishful thinking on an AE in 2014?

But I am going to wait for the 2014, that will have the inverted forks and electronically adjustable suspension like the AE in Europe.
-
Wait, are you saying the inverted forks are coming in 2014 on the non-AE model? Or wishful thinking on an AE in 2014?
Now how would HE know about something coming out on a bike issued a YEAR from now???

C'mon man - THINK!

:D

Debbie Downer (aka AshOnBikes.com) has a few things that are of concern to me, but I never fully believe moto journos, they don't spend enough time on a bike to get to know it fully. Keep in mind, he's British and seems to give Triumph rave reviews on their recent models.

I'd like to hear 2013 FJR owner's feedback on the following statements:

Issue 1:

Ash says: "Below 5,000rpm, which is where the motor will be used most of the time, there's simply not enough thrust, especially compared with a really torquey engine like the Triumph Trophy. To overtake or up the pace when a road gets temptingly snaky you constantly need to work the gearbox, which is not how a bike like this should be. It's like this solo and two up the problem's exacerbated."

True or false?

Issue 2:

"It's the steering which lets the bike down. It's better than it used to be but still you need to put pressure on the inside handlebar to keep the bike on its line in a corner, which after a long distance on twisty roads gets tiring. Compared with the Triumph's fluid and natural feel the Yamaha still feels a decade old. Despite its lighter weight it also feels heavier, with a slower response to bar inputs than the triumph. Its only when manoeuvring at parking speeds that you’d guess the Trophy is the heavier bike."

I had read elsewhere the bike holds its line perfectly and handles in the corners like it's on rails... what gives??

Issue 3:

"You might not want to do it two-up though. The space is adequate if rider and passenger aren't too large and comfort on the back is good too, but Yamaha recommends you either have the panniers, which are a reasonable but not over-generous capacity, or you have a top box, but not both, as it could exceed the design weight limit of the rear subframe. That seems like quite an oversight these days."

Panniers or top case, but not both?? What about a passenger?

Some good news:

"The build quality is outstanding, in typical Yamaha fashion, with tight panel gaps, flawless paint and a feel that this bike will keep working perfectly until its travelled every road on earth. But it needs more low rev torque and more neutral steering."

What do 2013 owners have to say in regards to low end torque and steering?

Mingo,

I'm a Gen II guy, so I can't confirm that for a '13 FEEYAY, but like your Gen I, I think the Gen III won't be that drastic of a difference.

First response to the writing, a bunch a crap.......

Not enough thrust below 5K? I don't know what that yorno is smoking, but what made me fell in love is the ability of my FEEYAY, to give me in the 5th and low rpm the thrust I need to get going, frankly I don't need to shift much to get her going, I think you've got the same ability....

Pushing on the inside in order to make the bike lean......this is a classic for the Dooh journal! What else do you need to do to make ya bike lean, ya push the curve inside side......I've been on a few twisties here in WA, and by no means grew I tired to steer my bike neatly into those tight turns.... That guy is a whimp!

I think you said tat correctly, he's Triumph biased, that's all....

V

Sounds like an idiot or a pimp. Have you or he ever ridden an FJR?

Its got a 5 speed wider ratio tranny (instead of a closer ratio 6 speed) and it's been tuned (from its inception) less for high rev power than for mid range. You signed up a couple years ago, and have you ever read about an FJR owner complaining about lack of mid range torque?

A Harley is going to have more low end torque than an FJR or a Triumph Trophy, but that hardly makes an HD a better bike for strafing twisties. Is he kidding about not having to shift gears in twisties? And that crap about pushing on the bars?!? I ride mountain roads more than I ride anything else and am a proponent of riding "The Pace", but still, you get to a corner with a 15 mph or less advisory, and you are going to have to downshift no matter what bike you're on, unless you're doing the whole road at truly pedestrian speeds. So that has me thinking "idiot".

Fairlaner was more succinct, and his was probably the only response justified in response.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like an idiot or a pimp. Have you or he ever ridden an FJR?
I haven't ridden one and won't be able to, unless I buy one. I bought a Yamaha XT1200Z (SuperTenere) without test riding it because I waited 2 years to get a test ride but none were available... anyway, took a leap of faith and I'm delighted with the bike.. The bike press gave it a mediocre grade, giving the 1200GS a 9 and a SuperTen a 6.. I've owned a GS and it's not a 9... and the SuperTen is definitely not a 6... hence, asking real owners what the "thrust" and handling is really like..

Absolute BS, IMHO. I took my 2013 on a 300 mile ride today and I absolutely love it! I loved my '05 and '08 but this is a big step above!

Debbie Downer (aka AshOnBikes.com) has a few things that are of concern to me, but I never fully believe moto journos, they don't spend enough time on a bike to get to know it fully.
Already posted and discussed starting here....maybe you should spend more time reading the forum to get to know it fully. No need to start a new thread about it. Merging.

Thats a bunch of crap....
I wholeheartedly agree.....again. :)

...What about the low end torque?
Torque on the FJR is amazing all the way from about 2k-9500 RPM...very linear and not peaky.
Well, it has more torque than my old Honda MR50 dirt bike, but less than my GMC's Duramax diesel.

Seriously, torque is what this motor is all about. Yes, there are a few bikes out there with more, but there are LOTS of bikes out there with way less.

If one doofus journalist likes a motor with top end power, the next one wants a motor with low end. No motojournalist ever made his money saying how good a bike is, they seem to thrive on finding something negative. This negative may be real or imaginary. They must think it makes them appear to have more skill as a rider if they have the ability to ride hard enough to expose the negatives of a bike. It is all some other guy's opinion.

My opinion is that this motor, in this chassis is excellent. Of course, I don't write magazine articles for a living.

-
Now how would HE know about something coming out on a bike issued a YEAR from now???

C'mon man - THINK!

:D
No! :p And I refuse to grow up too!

Debbie Downer (aka AshOnBikes.com) has a few things that are of concern to me, but I never fully believe moto journos, they don't spend enough time on a bike to get to know it fully. Keep in mind, he's British and seems to give Triumph rave reviews on their recent models.

I'd like to hear 2013 FJR owner's feedback on the following statements:

Issue 1:

Ash says: "Below 5,000rpm, which is where the motor will be used most of the time, there's simply not enough thrust, especially compared with a really torquey engine like the Triumph Trophy. To overtake or up the pace when a road gets temptingly snaky you constantly need to work the gearbox, which is not how a bike like this should be. It's like this solo and two up the problem's exacerbated."

True or false?

Issue 2:

"It's the steering which lets the bike down. It's better than it used to be but still you need to put pressure on the inside handlebar to keep the bike on its line in a corner, which after a long distance on twisty roads gets tiring. Compared with the Triumph's fluid and natural feel the Yamaha still feels a decade old. Despite its lighter weight it also feels heavier, with a slower response to bar inputs than the triumph. Its only when manoeuvring at parking speeds that you’d guess the Trophy is the heavier bike."

I had read elsewhere the bike holds its line perfectly and handles in the corners like it's on rails... what gives??

Issue 3:

"You might not want to do it two-up though. The space is adequate if rider and passenger aren't too large and comfort on the back is good too, but Yamaha recommends you either have the panniers, which are a reasonable but not over-generous capacity, or you have a top box, but not both, as it could exceed the design weight limit of the rear subframe. That seems like quite an oversight these days."

Panniers or top case, but not both?? What about a passenger?

Some good news:

"The build quality is outstanding, in typical Yamaha fashion, with tight panel gaps, flawless paint and a feel that this bike will keep working perfectly until its travelled every road on earth. But it needs more low rev torque and more neutral steering."

What do 2013 owners have to say in regards to low end torque and steering?

I learned a long time ago that expecting Ash to give an objective opinion on anything is much akin to expecting MSNBC to give an unbiased view of politics. His starting point for evaluations is that all things British are inherently superior to counterparts built or bred by Americans, Japanese, Germans, Italians, Klingons, whatever.

His statements re; the relative thrust available for the Trophy versus the FJR are so laughable as to be below discussion. As an experimental fact, any roll-on between the two will see the FJR leaving the Triumph for dead. Gone. Different zip code by third gear. Na na na na, hey hey hey, goodbye.

He’s right in that the current issue Feejer does have a slight tendency to stand up in turns, requiring one to maintain a smidgen of inside bar pressure to hold a line. Nothing even remotely strenuous or tiring (unless the rider desperately needs some gym time). More in the “Hmmm.. That’s a little odd” level of effort. And I’m pretty sure this is due to the 2013 issue Bridgestones as my prior Gen I rolled through the corners on rails.

Or, to borrow Fairlaners synopsis: a load of crap.

Debbie Downer (aka AshOnBikes.com) has a few things that are of concern to me, but I never fully believe moto journos, they don't spend enough time on a bike to get to know it fully.
Already posted and discussed starting here....maybe you should spend more time reading the forum to get to know it fully. No need to start a new thread about it. Merging.
I was not referring to the entire article, as per your link. I was referring to specific alleged concerns regarding the performance of the reviewer. So it's been swept under the rug... oh well.. I did a google search of this site and did not find any discussion about it.. Going thru 46 pages looking for such a reference is unrealistic.

I was not referring to the entire article, as per your link. I was referring to specific alleged concerns regarding the performance of the reviewer. So it's been swept under the rug... oh well.. I did a google search of this site and did not find any discussion about it.. Going thru 46 pages looking for such a reference is unrealistic.
Are you saying that you don't have time to do this but you want someone else to do it for you? If I want an answer and the answer is in an open book sitting in front of me I am going to read the book. I am not going to waste the time of the guy who has already done his homework. This forum has some really great information put together by some really smart people. They did this so everyone would have access to it. Reading through it will not only give you the information you want, it will entertain the hell out of you. Telling us, "I don't have time to read what you have already done, just give me the answer." is not going to earn you any friends here.

And what exactly do you mean by "swept under the rug"? We gave answers to every question that was asked. Just because we did not agree with this motojournalism doofus does not mean we "swept it under the rug".

Oh and thanks for the red minus. That tells me I hurt the feelings of a lazy sack of crap.