2013 FJR - Product announced!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Notice midway down the "GT Spec for Heavy Weight Bikes". Also notice the bike in the picture in the link--it looks familiar, no?

https://www.bridgestone.com/products/motorcycle_tires/products/battlax/bt023.html

img_battlax_11.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The FJR rolls on Bridgestone BT-023 tires that are specifically designed for the Yamaha. They're built to handle the extra weight of the FJR compared to the standard BT-023 Bridgestone tires and should wear much better.
Oh yeah?

What do you "BT-023 tire users" order when you get replacement BT-023s? Special, super-d-duper BT-23s...or just the typical BT-023s?
I order the BT-023GT.....which is supposed to be the correct tire for heavier bikes.
Which is what I use, but I think I remember reading somewhere that Bridgestone designed a tire specifically for the 2013 FJR - the Battleax 023 "F" variant. How it differs than than the 'GT' spec I have no idea. Or even if it differs. Or how you would go about buying the 'F'? I guess time will tell........

A buddy of mine with an '06 was running BT-023 GT's which are also supposed to be stiffer or something to help with durability on an FJR. He said they did in fact get better mileage. I'd try anything that could get me 6K miles +. Seems I always get around 4000~5000 no matter what. The GT's are listed as a BT-023 option. I plan to try 'em next tire change.

actually the BT 023's on the new bike is a "BT 023 R F" thats what it says on the side wall.

R

I mentioned before that I'm running BT 023GT tires now and am not ecstatic. Specifically with the rear tire, the front seems quite good to me. I'm getting too much slipping in the rear at wierd times and conditions, and the mileage is less than my average for previous PR2's. which had none of these slip issues. My complaint with PR2s was the front tread pattern caused weirdness late in life, probably due to the odd tread pattern.

Not being a guy that feels a need to change tahrs in pairs, nor to match the front and rear tahrs by make and model, I'll be replacing the shot rear soon with a new PR2 ($150 shipped from Rocky Mt ATV) and keeping the only 1/2 worn BT-023GT on the front. The front GT seems to be performing well so far. Time will tell.

I mentioned before that I'm running BT 023GT tires now and am not ecstatic. Specifically with the rear tire, the front seems quite good to me. I'm getting too much slipping in the rear at wierd times and conditions, and the mileage is less than my average for previous PR2's. which had none of these slip issues. My complaint with PR2s was the front tread pattern caused weirdness late in life, probably due to the odd tread pattern.

Not being a guy that feels a need to change tahrs in pairs, nor to match the front and rear tahrs by make and model, I'll be replacing the shot rear soon with a new PR2 ($150 shipped from Rocky Mt ATV) and keeping the only 1/2 worn BT-023GT on the front. The front GT seems to be performing well so far. Time will tell.
The irony is they went from the worst front tire to the best. I've gone through 4 sets of '023Gt's and the fronts are pretty amazing. I pulled my last with over 8000 which is far and away a record for me and it's still quite round. The rear definitely goes first.

actually the BT 023's on the new bike is a "BT 023 R F" thats what it says on the side wall.

R
Mine says 'Battlax 023F GT'

So the typical 023 is also an 'F'. Perhaps they didn't do anything different for the '13 FJR and just put the GT spec on them but slightly relabeled them for OEM application?

Somebody (Fairlaner) needs to call Bridgestone and ask them.............

Edit: Correction. The 'F' I showed above is for 'Front' (Tire). The rear has 'Battlax 023R GT' on it. So no 'F' spec on normal 'GT' spec.

Bridgestone's website doesn't say anything about the 'F' spec for the FJR, just that they recommend the GT spec for the FJR.

Mine says 'Battlax 023F GT'

So the typical 023 is also an 'F'. Perhaps they didn't do anything different for the '13 FJR and just put the GT spec on them but slightly relabeled them for OEM application?

Somebody (Fairlaner) needs to call Bridgestone and ask them.............

Edit: Correction. The 'F' I showed above is for 'Front' (Tire). The rear has 'Battlax 023R GT' on it. So no 'F' spec on normal 'GT' spec.

Bridgestone's website doesn't say anything about the 'F' spec for the FJR, just that they recommend the GT spec for the FJR.
I wouldn't get too excited about Bridgestone making a new improved BT-023 for the FJR, its probably not as good as what we have been using. Many years ago when the manufacturers actually sent reps to the National Motorcycle Shows, I had a very interesting conversation with a Bridgestone rep. He said that the Big 4 dictated to Bridgestone not only the technical specifications that a OEM tire had to meet for a specific motorcycle but also the price they were going to pay....and that price made it pretty difficult to make a profit. Bridgestone wanted that business so they complied but it often required cutting corners so they would not lose money on the OEM tires and those tires were not something that you should be later paying a premium for. I have often wondered if all the BT-021s are as bad as the OEM tires but I wasn't about to buy a set to find out.

I have often wondered if all the BT-021s are as bad as the OEM tires but I wasn't about to buy a set to find out.
They were all that bad. Dad's '07 FJR and my '04 ST1300 both came with BT-020s. We bought the BT-021s soon after they were introduced. Hands down the worst front tire either of us ever had. Completely worn out at 3000 miles and for the last 1500 miles traction and handling were horrible.

I think it stands for fruitcake........the kind that gets passed around year after year........

youngin's don't ever get married.

PR3s have been at least as good dry and better in the wet.

To avoid getting booted down to NEPRT, I've felt the 2013 bike twitching at odd times but was blaming it on magic invisible leaves.

Are the electronic adjustable shocks controlled thru the Menu system, or are there any additional controls added to the cockpit or switch gear? (Thanks for the pics).

And is this available ONLY on the auto-clutch model? I'm just wondering if this model will be brought to the US if it's only available with the AE (auto clutch) model.

Some photos from the NEC of what you will be missing in the US this year

nec2012002.jpg

Standard bike

Great pics of the Euro AE. Love the USD fork, sure hope it makes its way across the pond next year...maybe w/o the electronic adjustments.

--G