2013 FJR - Product announced!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A $14000 motorcycle and we gotta buy a $20 contraption to make the piece of shit go because Yamaha's too stupid to get if right the first time? No thanks.

And don't tell me this is a liability issue. They sell hundreds of 1000 CC motorcycles to douche bag kids with no driver's licenses every day, and see nothing but the profit line. So what is their brainless reasoning for a cruise control limited to 80mph?

Until Yamaha unfucks itself and gets this right, I'm not buying another FJR from them. They keep it up and when it's time to upgrade, I'll go to another manufacturer.
Wow. All this...because of cruise control? Nevermind alllll the other improvements...that damn cruise control!

Wow.
I know its dumb, but why do something just to make it a pain in the ass? The upgraded the bike and did a good job. Then, like a joke, they screw up the CC on purpose. They added it and made it useless for what it will be used for 90% of the time.

Maybe I'm just grumpy from dealing with certain people that are difficult just to be difficult but for some reason this has struck a nerve with me. It's Yamaha being stupid on purpose. My '07 doesn't have CC, and I'm more fine with that than with spending $14k for a bike and then having to half-ass their "upgrades."

People should be pissed and Yamaha should know it.
Gee, AJ...this sounds an AWFUL lot like a Gen II Ground Spider or ECU or Instant Mileage or Whatever-The-Hell-Else-Is-Wrong-With-This-POS rant to me.

Get the point now???

Brother Dan, you really do need to attend the next Southwest FOG Rally so you can meet AJ in person, HotRodZilla is so damn entertaining you'll sell your TV set!

'Zilla is like a fucking train wreck and Saturday Night Live wrapped up in a single package! WORD!
Haha...Being entertaining is way funner than being the asshole I used to be. I was so bad that after I broke up with this girl I had been dating, she came up to me about a month later and asked me for a favor.

She wanted me to tell the guy she was taking to that we were done. Seems no one would go out with her cuz they didn't want me to get pissed and decide to fight.

I grew up on a ranch, so I was "redneck" strong, and I spent a lot of summers in Mexico City so I knew how to fight. I'm prolly lucky I wised up before I did something really stupid, or someone got pissed ans brought a gun to a fist fight.

Besides, its way more fun just being a jackass sometimes. Haha...

A $14000 motorcycle and we gotta buy a $20 contraption to make the piece of shit go because Yamaha's too stupid to get if right the first time? No thanks.

And don't tell me this is a liability issue. They sell hundreds of 1000 CC motorcycles to douche bag kids with no driver's licenses every day, and see nothing but the profit line. So what is their brainless reasoning for a cruise control limited to 80mph?

Until Yamaha unfucks itself and gets this right, I'm not buying another FJR from them. They keep it up and when it's time to upgrade, I'll go to another manufacturer.
Wow. All this...because of cruise control? Nevermind alllll the other improvements...that damn cruise control!

Wow.
I know its dumb, but why do something just to make it a pain in the ass? The upgraded the bike and did a good job. Then, like a joke, they screw up the CC on purpose. They added it and made it useless for what it will be used for 90% of the time.

Maybe I'm just grumpy from dealing with certain people that are difficult just to be difficult but for some reason this has struck a nerve with me. It's Yamaha being stupid on purpose. My '07 doesn't have CC, and I'm more fine with that than with spending $14k for a bike and then having to half-ass their "upgrades."

People should be pissed and Yamaha should know it.
Gee, AJ...this sounds an AWFUL lot like a Gen II Ground Spider or ECU or Instant Mileage or Whatever-The-Hell-Else-Is-Wrong-With-This-POS rant to me.

Get the point now???
Point, set, match!!!!

Hey, if we just ooh and goo over the new bike then Yamaha will feel comfortable to rest on their laurels. But if we bitch about the things they did wrong, then maybe...and this is a huge leap here...maybe they'll fix them. Squeaky wheel gets the grease ya know.

Plus, if Yamaha looks at it and sees that something so simple to fix could push buyers over the edge and get them to drop the cash, it makes it an easy decision. It's not like we are asking them to redesign the entire transmission and add a sixth gear right? :D It's a software change, take out the limit and let us be happy!

Get the point now???
Point, set, match!!!!
Nope...Sorry, but thanks for playing.

This is absolutely not the same thing. Just like GenI tickers, bad CCTs and heat issues, GenII problems were things that came up, only after people started putting serious miles on the bikes. Mistakes, oversights, or just engineering that was not completely thought out, and problems that weren't expected.

Every manufacturer of any machine or electronic gadget has those issues. Its the way it is. I don't have a problem with any of that, especially since Yamaha stepped up and worked on fixing those issues.

This is different because Yamaha did it on purpose. They didn't have to, didn't really have a reason, and made the European model without the same craziness. They could have programmed the CC to work like it should and let us be big boys and girls. Instead, Fairlaner and others have to come up with some BS mod they shouldn't really need

Understand??

Edit: How is it that Wheaties and Gixxerjasen are so much smarter than you two?? Sheesh!

Last edited by a moderator:
AJ just calm the **** down....... :rolleyes:

I just got off the phoen with my dealer and he seems to think the ECU can be flashed...He said "they do it with sport bikes all the time so whats the difference"

i guess we wait and see if someone can figure it out.

R

I guess if I was confident it was something that couldn't be changed I would be a little disturbed. But seeing how its something that most likely will be overcome, it doesn't bother me. *shrug*

In fact, so little, I think I'll get one. Probably Friday.

That's what has AJ and others so pissed. They had it right...then they screwed the beagle and put in the stupid ass limit.

So close...yet so far.

Every damn time you ride the bike.
Exacly! Well said Wheatie!
WTF. You CC haters are over-reacting. It's not like you can't go over 80. You can still go faster than snot; you just can't set the CC to go faster than that. BFD. When your wrist gets tired of holding the throttle at 120, let go, relax, take a breath, and slow all the way down to 80. A hardship, I know.

Yes, it would have been better if Yamaha hadn't limited the CC top speed, and yes it's insulting to be treated like a child, but if you're really not going to buy the bike just because of this, you're seriously in need of a proctologist.

That's what has AJ and others so pissed. They had it right...then they screwed the beagle and put in the stupid ass limit.

So close...yet so far.

Every damn time you ride the bike.
Exacly! Well said Wheatie!
WTF. You CC haters are over-reacting. It's not like you can't go over 80. You can still go faster than snot; you just can't set the CC to go faster than that. BFD. When your wrist gets tired of holding the throttle at 120, let go, relax, take a breath, and slow all the way down to 80. A hardship, I know.

Yes, it would have been better if Yamaha hadn't limited the CC top speed, and yes it's insulting to be treated like a child, but if you're really not going to buy the bike just because of this, you're seriously in need of a proctologist.
+1, Gunny; actually palerider our HotRodZilla has an appointment this Friday with Proctologist Dr. Dudley at 2pm, I'm absolutely certain Dr. Dudley will find our 'Zilla is truly a PERFECT ASSHOLE! https://www.ucomparehealthcare.com/drs/calvin_dudley/

From the above link:

"As far as fuel range, that we can't tell yet, but Yamaha claims that the FJR will average about 36 mpg, which is actually slightly less than the previous model. With its very generous 6.6-gallon tank, however, that's still about 237 miles between fill ups."

Really? :blink: To hell with the limited speed cruise control. This right here could be the REAL deal breaker. My lower geared '05 gets 42 avg mpg.

I know the break-in MPGs are sometimes a bit low but... what have the early G3 adopters been getting for fuel mileage?

To those who say, "Just flash the ECU, no big deal," make yourselves aware that, as pointed out already in the thread, no one has figured out how to do so. The Feej has existed in world markets since 2001, yet we haven't seen the first modded code. No spark maps, no fuel maps, no rev limit change, nothing.

Also, there's NOT an ODBC-II type connector on the bike.

This issue is similar to something I've come across with my camera. I would like to be able to do exposure bracketing with more than 3 frames, say 6, or even 9, but I can't. My camera is limited to 3 frames of exposure bracketing, which very strongly limits what I have to play with if I want to experiment with HDR. "No problem," says I, "Let's hop onto one of the many dSLR hack sites out there, where fart smellers rewrite firmware and change such limitations."

Turns out the firmware in my camera is encrypted! Reading the ROM directly produces meaningless gibberish. There's no readable code. Obviously the camera reads it, but how?

So to folks who say, "Just flash the ROM," tell us what to flash, and where.

Or shut up about "how easy it has to be 'cause everybody else can do it."

I've had audiovox CC on my bike almost since I got it. I would say I rarely if ever have used it above 80mph, and I live where you can really haul the mail in any given direction (and I do). I use the CC if I get stuck behind traffic and don't feel like passing, or just want to pace a car in front of me. Or to relax and give the wrist a break...

Above 80, I much prefer the feeling of being able to do an instant "roll off" to cut speed, and having total control of the bike. That little extra moment between being under power and decelerating because your cruise is engaged ends up being a lot of pavement you cover when above 80...

So, even having a bike now w/CC that engages at any speed, I wouldn't give a second thought to caring that the '13 had cc limited to 80 if I were getting one...

One more possible gaff from the above linked First Ride article:

"CHARGING SYSTEM OUTPUT: 14VDCx35A = 490 Watts @ 5,000 rpm"

That would be the same output as a first gen.

Yeah... I don't think so. :glare:

(Do these writers actually get paid for these articles?)

The FJR rolls on Bridgestone BT-023 tires that are specifically designed for the Yamaha. They're built to handle the extra weight of the FJR compared to the standard BT-023 Bridgestone tires and should wear much better.
Oh yeah?

What do you "BT-023 tire users" order when you get replacement BT-023s? Special, super-d-duper BT-23s...or just the typical BT-023s?

The FJR rolls on Bridgestone BT-023 tires that are specifically designed for the Yamaha. They're built to handle the extra weight of the FJR compared to the standard BT-023 Bridgestone tires and should wear much better.
Oh yeah?

What do you "BT-023 tire users" order when you get replacement BT-023s? Special, super-d-duper BT-23s...or just the typical BT-023s?
I order the BT-023GT.....which is supposed to be the correct tire for heavier bikes.