2013 FJR - Product announced!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This better???

20089-5854.jpg

Dang it Fairlaner... this thread was just headed in the right direction and you have to go talking about throttle locks... :glare:

On topic please............

Sounds like they will be selling throttle locks alongside the 2013 models. Sheesh....yamaha.....anyway they can make a buck.
With the heated grips, my favorite, the Vista Cruise, probably won't work. :( Suppose that POS Throttlemeister still will work, if you call what it does actually 'working'.

Last edited by a moderator:
So, can these bikes ECU's be flashed like many cars can? I'd doubt the Euro ECU is any different physically than the US version. Seems like someone should be able to come up with a way for us to get the Euro code downloaded to our bikes.

What other differences do you think there'd be between the us and them?

So, can these bikes ECU's be flashed like many cars can? I'd doubt the Euro ECU is any different physically than the US version. Seems like someone should be able to come up with a way for us to get the Euro code downloaded to our bikes.

It was discussed already somewhere.

Reader's Digest: Quite a bit of differences. And VERY difficult to re-flash the ECU if at all possible.

It was discussed already somewhere.

Reader's Digest: Quite a bit of differences. And VERY difficult to re-flash the ECU if at all possible.
Gen II, yeah? This is Gen III, with a significantly different ECU.

Also note that WarChild muttered something about upping the max CC speed by a "software update".

There is no technical reason Yamaha can't use ECUs that can be reprogrammed in situ. My Triumph (Tiger 800XC) has a standard OBDII connector under the seat for downloading new EFI maps and other things (like adjusting what temp the fan comes on, or a speedometer correction factor). Various Aprilias (Capo Nords / Futuras) have a non-standard connector, but OBDII software works with them, including new maps.

At a time the feds are trying to ram E-15 down our throats, it seems kind of pig-headedly dumb to use ECUs that can't be reprogrammed on the fly. (That said, Triumph has published notices that using a non-OEM generated flash image voids your warranty.)

A $14000 motorcycle and we gotta buy a $20 contraption to make the piece of shit go because Yamaha's too stupid to get if right the first time? No thanks.

And don't tell me this is a liability issue. They sell hundreds of 1000 CC motorcycles to douche bag kids with no driver's licenses every day, and see nothing but the profit line. So what is their brainless reasoning for a cruise control limited to 80mph?

Until Yamaha unfucks itself and gets this right, I'm not buying another FJR from them. They keep it up and when it's time to upgrade, I'll go to another manufacturer.

A $14000 motorcycle and we gotta buy a $20 contraption to make the piece of shit go because Yamaha's too stupid to get if right the first time? No thanks.

And don't tell me this is a liability issue. They sell hundreds of 1000 CC motorcycles to douche bag kids with no driver's licenses every day, and see nothing but the profit line. So what is their brainless reasoning for a cruise control limited to 80mph?

Until Yamaha unfucks itself and gets this right, I'm not buying another FJR from them. They keep it up and when it's time to upgrade, I'll go to another manufacturer.
Wow. All this...because of cruise control? Nevermind alllll the other improvements...that damn cruise control!

Wow.

Wow. All this...because of cruise control? Nevermind alllll the other improvements...that damn cruise control!

Wow.
I know its dumb, but why do something just to make it a pain in the ass? The upgraded the bike and did a good job. Then, like a joke, they screw up the CC on purpose. They added it and made it useless for what it will be used for 90% of the time.

Maybe I'm just grumpy from dealing with certain people that are difficult just to be difficult but for some reason this has struck a nerve with me. It's Yamaha being stupid on purpose. My '07 doesn't have CC, and I'm more fine with that than with spending $14k for a bike and then having to half-ass their "upgrades."

People should be pissed and Yamaha should know it.

I hate to admit it, but I am with 'Zilla on this one. I am not as a big a dick as him, nor would it stop me from buying a Yamaha in the future, but Yammie really screwed the pooch on the cruise control limit. It's just plain stupid. Kind of reminds of the stuff BMW will pull. It may be a small thing, but the type of thing that would piss me off every time I rode the bike. That, and the fact the the V-Strom guards don't fit would affect my buying decision. We all have things that are important to us. A functioning cruise control (since I can't use my tried and true Vista Cruise with the heated grips) and V-Strom hand guards are big deals to me. I ride every day, 40,000+ miles a year. I demand certain things of my FJR.

Of course I am not in the market for a Gen III, nor will I be for several years. I think it's a great update to the FJR, but those two things annoy the hell out of me. Hopefully when I am ready for one they will be resolved.

They did the cruise control limitatation just so they can offer a "new and improved" FJR1300 for 2014. Same with the suspension on the manual clutch model. Look for a further improvement with inverted forks in 2015. Electronic suspension adjustment in 2016?? They can string this out until Gen IV is introduced somewhere around 2020!

They did the cruise control limitatation just so they can offer a "new and improved" FJR1300 for 2014. Same with the suspension on the manual clutch model. Look for a further improvement with inverted forks in 2015. Electronic suspension adjustment in 2016?? They can string this out until Gen IV is introduced somewhere around 2020!
Sounds about right! ;)

...Until Yamaha unfucks itself and gets this right, I'm not buying another FJR from them. They keep it up and when it's time to upgrade, I'll go to another manufacturer.
Holy Crap.

Somebody forget to burp you?
Sounds like baby man 'Zilla is walking around with a big load of crap in his diaper, again!

From SkooterG: …I am not as a big a dick as him,…
BULLSHIT!

Wow.
Brother Dan, you really do need to attend the next Southwest FOG Rally so you can meet AJ in person, HotRodZilla is so damn entertaining you'll sell off your TV set!

'Zilla is like a fucking train wreck and Saturday Night Live wrapped up in a single package! WORD!