2013 FJR - Product announced!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Adding to fudgejerkin1188's post about the '13 FJR1300AS at the NEC, a couple more pics:

(Click on image for larger view)

General views of lack of clutch lever

And I love the colour.
A blow-up of the 2nd picture shows the electric actuator on the adjustable fork:

Which looks a bit of an afterthought to me.

And a view of the forks:

Note the extension on the mudguard (fender) presumably to help protect the forks.

In the brochure they were giving out, they showed a picture of a very different slider.

Full page . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . and a blowup of the sliders . . . and on the bike

I'm hoping the electronic fork adjustment is more than just rebound damping........ we'll have to find the EU AS owner's manual......

Frame sliders were ordered this morning from a dealer in UK, they will be in on wednesday and then my friend will ship then to me.....maybe i will have them by xmas....

R

(n00b alert)

Have any of you '13 owners pulled the rear end to check the spline lube from the factory?

I solved the cruise control issue over 80mph.......

file-10.jpg

Fairlaner, hope yours last longer than than a year. Mine broke in half yesterday.

Last edited by a moderator:
it wont be used much, right mow it is in the smuggler and will only be attached for longer trips....

I really don't think the CC is going to be an issue, i remember back in 08 i rented a wing for a trip to Santa Barbara with my wife, when i returned the wing i was pissed off because i forgot to try the CC on it, then i realized the reason I didn't try it was because i didn't need too (zero vibration) and i think this will be the case with the new FJR.... we will see i guess.

R

<snip> (zero vibration) and i think this will be the case with the new FJR.... we will see i guess.

R
Are you saying the buzz at 4000 - 4200 is gone?

--G
Interesting. So George, you have the typical FJR buzz on your 09 at 4000-4200 rpm? Because my 09 does not. All my Gen Is did, but not the new 09. I figured they fixed it on the Gen IIs. My 09 does have a vibration at 6500 rpm that none of my Gen Is had, but I am just usually 'passing through' that rpm.

<snip> (zero vibration) and i think this will be the case with the new FJR.... we will see i guess.

R

--G
Interesting. So George, you have the typical FJR buzz on your 09 at 4000-4200 rpm? Because my 09 does not. All my Gen Is did, but not the new 09. I figured they fixed it on the Gen IIs. My 09 does have a vibration at 6500 rpm that none of my Gen Is had, but I am just usually 'passing through' that rpm.
skoot, my '09 doesn't have the 4000 - 4200 buzz and is very smooth everywhere in the rev range, not C14 smooth, but very good nonetheless. I was just curious if the '13s are even better than my '09. A couple of friends have ridden my '09 and they claim it's the smoothest FJR they've ever ridden...

--G

Last edited by a moderator:
skoot, my '09 doesn't have the 4000 - 4200 buzz and is very smooth everywhere in the rev range, not C14 smooth, but very good nonetheless. I was just curious if the '13s are even better than my '09. A couple of friends have ridden my '09 and they claim it's the smoothest FJR they've ever ridden...

--G
Yes..............Yes

R

--G

--G
Gotcha. Thanks. Yes, my 09 is incredibly smooth also. Sometimes I wonder if it's a miles thing. My 2nd 04 FJR was very smooth when I first got it at 5900 miles compared to the 100k Dirty Ol Whore 04 FJR. (Still had the 4000-4200 buzz though). And now with 130k miles, I think it has a bit more vibration than when new.

Did a little 280 mile loop around the eastern part of the state yesterday and have a couple of observations.

The 80 MPH limit on the cruise control relegates it to the category of entertaining novelty and prevents it from rising to the level of useful tool. At least in this part of the country and the mission profiles we typically run. Some guys may find it useful but for my money I’d just as soon they’d left it off. I’m going to have to put a throttle lock on any way and the extra gizmos for the CC just serve to clutter up the left switch pod. Maybe we can get some of the Euro guys to smuggle us their code……

The suspension, at least with my 150 pound mass on the bike, is much improved. Less dive on decel and less bobble on corner launch. You, um… more substantial guys may still find it inadequate.

I’m still making my peace with the BT-023’s. They seem a bit numb compared to PR-2’s but they are rock steady, provide quite adequate grip, and are very predictable when you switch the TC off. At least in the dry. I’ll have to wait for the August rains to comment on wet characteristics. In the meantime, I’ll be experimenting with pressures to see if the feedback can be improved a bit.