2013 FJR - Product announced!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I spoke with Dennis McNeal, a senior executive with Yamaha Motorcycle Division about the cruise control issue. He said that until my call he was unaware that there was any issue about the cruise control. At the risk of misquoting him, I don't think he knew that there was a speed limit on the CC. Several days later, I was called by the manager of customer service who had researched the cc issue. He said that he had been unaware that this was an issue, that the cc limit decision was made in Japan, that it might be changed (but might not be changed), that I was the only prospective buyer who has complained, and that the chance of a change is not likely if only one customer asks for it. So,...

It can't hurt if those of us who would like to see the 80 mph cc limit raised, or eliminated, write a respectful snail mail letter to

Dennis McNeal

Yamaha Motorcycles

6555 Katella Avenue

Cypress, CA 90630

and express your feelings, RESPECTFULLY.

Maybe, just maybe, if enough of us write, they might get the idea that a modification of the cc limit is a good idea.

Howard

Well done Howard! An excellent idea. The squeaky wheel gets the grease.

Last edited by a moderator:
I spoke with Dennis McNeal, a senior executive with Yamaha Motorcycle Division about the cruise control issue. He said that until my call he was unaware that there was any issue about the cruise control. At the risk of misquoting him, I don't think he knew that there was a speed limit on the CC. Several days later, I was called by the manager of customer service who had researched the cc issue. He said that he had been unaware that this was an issue, that the cc limit decision was made in Japan, that it might be changed (but might not be changed), that I was the only prospective buyer who has complained, and that the chance of a change is not likely if only one customer asks for it. So,...

It can't hurt if those of us who would like to see the 80 mph cc limit raised, or eliminated, write a respectful snail mail letter to

Dennis McNeal

Yamaha Motorcycles

6555 Katella Avenue

Cypress, CA 90630

Maybe, just maybe, if enough of us write, they might get the idea that a modification of the cc limit is a good idea.

Howard
If someone has LinkedIn you can search him and posssibly come up with Dennis's Email address. That would be a lot easier,and while he may not like it as much,maybe he will see how resourceful and commited we are to get the information to him. I don't know that much about LINKEDIN and computer downloads scare me. any takers?

Dennis McNeal

Yamaha Motorcycles

6555 Katella Avenue

Cypress, CA 90630

Howard
If someone has LinkedIn you can search him and posssibly come up with Dennis's Email address. That would be a lot easier,and while he may not like it as much,maybe he will see how resourceful and commited we are to get the information to him. I don't know that much about LINKEDIN and computer downloads scare me. any takers?
Here is his LinkedIn page. I wouldn't disclose his email address on here though if I was linked to him. That wouldn't be okay with me if someone did that to me.

https://www.linkedin.com/pub/dennis-mcneal/3/866/734?_mSplash=1

I reserved mine today at Cyclesport Yamaha in Hobart, IN. They have one demo right now and another one on the way (mine) in February. I rode the demo and it felt much smoother and tighter than my 05. The throttle definitely felt different due to the throttle by wire thingy, but REALLY smooth. No doubt I miss my 05, but the 13 felt fantastic!

They also have a Super Tenere demo that I did not ride, but if you wanted to compare the different feel of the two, it would be possible.

Dennis McNeal

Yamaha Motorcycles

6555 Katella Avenue

Cypress, CA 90630

Howard
Letter going off in the mail today. Thanks for taking the initiative to get the ball rolling on a fix. :yahoo:

Note to Yamaha: If you fix the cc issue, PLEASE make it so the current owners can get the udpate.

I would be royally po'ed if I had one of the first ones and couldn't get the update.

Just a note to all that occasionally admins make mistakes and I owe Richard an apology. He found what turned out to be a probably service department copy of a 2013 factory service manual on eBay in shrink-wrap from a legit dealer. (Don't ask me now to recommend that particular dealer for servicing an FJR though).

I was very skeptical, but he provided documentation that convinced even me. Everybody should know that I returned this thread to view.

Thanks Richard for the confirmation details. Great find!

Ignacio

Forum Admin

Anyone had any problems going from a very upright riding position to the riding position of the current FJR. I coming from a BMW GSA which is very upright and was comfortable, just too tall for me when stopped.

Thanks for any imput...

I was at the Toronto Motorcycle Show today and spend quite a bit of time talking to the Yamaha Canada tech rep while looking over the new '13... one with most of the tupperware off...... he's been to Europe and Japan.

With regard to the cruise, he said due to liability issues, there is no way Yamaha is going to change the 80 mph upper limit. BTW, he also said it is exactly the same speed on the European version despite what we've heard.

But, try this...... engage cruise at highest speed you can, then toggle the + button to accelerate (normally approx. 2 mph per push)...... you may be able to squeeze another bit out of it to go over the 80 mph. Perhaps we can get some new owners to verify that it actually works.......... meanwhile, write those letters.

Edit - additional impressions.

The mirror stays appear to be diecast and thin. Don't tip 'er over and break one!

The adjustable side panels are cheap. We moved them from the lower (normal) position to the higher position, basically it doesn't change the appearance of the bike much. Higher position is for cooler weather. You bend down to remove one fastener at the bottom rear end of the panel, slide it forward to disengage four forked plastic tabs, then move it up, engage tabs in the upper slots and slide it rearward, insert fastener. Seemed like a lot of work to me and stuff too easily broken. The panel in your hand seems flimsy by itself. Got some weight saving there.

Up close, I thought the LED signals were weak....... when I walked 30 feet away, those suckers were bright!! They do have them pointed forward inside the lens it would appear. Signal flasher has been eliminated and incorporated into the meter assembly.

Headlight adjust cables are now supported by a little bracket so you don't have to go fish for it like on a Gen 2.

Side lower fairings are a bit wider around the engine covers... might keep some rain off your feet. There is a bump-out begging to be covered with those European tip-over protectors......

Funny rectangular electronic module up beside and forward of the coolant fill cap. Didn't get the chance to ask, but that might be the cruise module?

Windshield mechanism is definitely more robust and doesn't flop around. Just my feeling, the stock windshield is better than previous, but I still think I'd be itching for an aftermarket.

I was told the saddlebags did not change at all, except for the chrome strip replacing the black strip. I'll take black thank you.

Each screen on the display is apparently customizable to minimize your scrolling.... sorry I haven't read the manual, so this may have already been explained by Fairlainer, Warchild, et al.....

Nice bike for sure, all you Gen 1 owners need one. Me, I'm keeping my '07 for a while yet, maybe in a couple of years there'll be a good used one out there.....

If I could get 85, it would work for typical h'way speeds in my part of the woods.