2013 FJR - Product announced!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A blow-up of the 2nd picture shows the electric actuator on the adjustable fork:

Which looks a bit of an afterthought to me.

The above picture suggests that the "electrically adjustable forks" are only adjusting the rebound damping, since that would be the normal location of that adjuster, under that actuator.

Unless... which side has the damping in it on the non-AE? Left or right? Maybe that is a spring preload adjustment? That wouldn't make too much sense though...
Well, as Iggy points out, the tech rep I spoke to seems to be incorrect about the EU cruise speed..... However, I saw the same photo as you did, and specifically asked about the adjustable front suspension, and he told me it was both sides and it indeed was 3-way adjustable, although limited in the amount of preload. I take that to mean your basic preload is set with your 17mm wrench. The EU website for the AS confirms 3-way, although we don't have real details until we can see an AS Owner's Manual.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm with you on this one scooter. When I do my annual iowa city Ia. to Hagerstown MD. (1day and a half)and back in one day . 900+ miles I sure and the **** ain't gonna do it at 70miles an hour. most of our seat time is spent at 85 MPH+ to get home in 14 .5 hours ,and I ain't gonna pay 15000 dollars to get home from this ride and have a wrist that won't work and a CC that hasn't worked(engaged).As Scoot said......YOU"RE FUCKIN STUPID!(i'm all better now)
And I'M the one who is vitriol and unwitty?? WTF??

Hey DT30...In the recent oft repeated words of that Dork Howie: "AJ, Calm the **** down!!" oh...Wait a second, "DT30, Calm the **** down!!" There. That's better!

Sorry...Couldn't help it.
AJ i believe it was me that told you to calm the **** down not the other RH

R

black%20eye.gif
Sorry about the rant,but in all reality,I could live with a max setting of 95mph as we now have roads with 85 mph and traffic will push the 10 over all they can.

I'm with you on this one scooter. When I do my annual iowa city Ia. to Hagerstown MD. (1day and a half)and back in one day . 900+ miles I sure and the **** ain't gonna do it at 70miles an hour. most of our seat time is spent at 85 MPH+ to get home in 14 .5 hours ,and I ain't gonna pay 15000 dollars to get home from this ride and have a wrist that won't work and a CC that hasn't worked(engaged).As Scoot said......YOU"RE FUCKIN STUPID!(i'm all better now)
And I'M the one who is vitriol and unwitty?? WTF??

Hey DT30...In the recent oft repeated words of that Dork Howie: "AJ, Calm the **** down!!" oh...Wait a second, "DT30, Calm the **** down!!" There. That's better!

Sorry...Couldn't help it.
AJ i believe it was me that told you to calm the **** down not the other RH

R
Actually Richard, you are just one among hundreds that have told AJ: To calm the **** down!

A blow-up of the 2nd picture shows the electric actuator on the adjustable fork:

The above picture suggests that the "electrically adjustable forks" are only adjusting the rebound damping, since that would be the normal location of that adjuster, under that actuator.

Unless... which side has the damping in it on the non-AE? Left or right? Maybe that is a spring preload adjustment? That wouldn't make too much sense though...
Well, as Iggy points out, the tech rep I spoke to seems to be incorrect about the EU cruise speed..... However, I saw the same photo as you did, and specifically asked about the adjustable front suspension, and he told me it was both sides and it indeed was 3-way adjustable, although limited in the amount of preload. I take that to mean your basic preload is set with your 17mm wrench. The EU website for the AS confirms 3-way, although we don't have real details until we can see an AS Owner's Manual.
Well, if the electronic suspension adjustment is actually 3-way, it would have to be on both sides, since one side is the spring (preload) and the other side is the damping (rebound and compression)

Well, if the electronic suspension adjustment is actually 3-way, it would have to be on both sides, since one side is the spring (preload) and the other side is the damping (rebound and compression)

Yes, that is what I was getting at too. It could be that the forks are 3-way adjustable (manually) but that the electronic adjusters only adjust the rebound damping, which I understand also impact the compression damping somewhat.

Of course, since these are completely different forks, designed "upside down" maybe they do not have the single sided damping adjusters that the new right side up forks have?

Tried to find an owners manual to download for the new 2013 AS (on the UK site) but they only have the AS owners manuals through 2010.

Yes, that is what I was getting at too. It could be that the forks are 3-way adjustable (manually) but that the electronic adjusters only adjust the rebound damping, which I understand also impact the compression damping somewhat.
It depends on the design, the rebound damping can be totally independent of compression damping with a one-way valve to restrict oil flow.

Yes, that is what I was getting at too. It could be that the forks are 3-way adjustable (manually) but that the electronic adjusters only adjust the rebound damping, which I understand also can impact the compression damping somewhat.
It depends on the design, the rebound damping can be totally independent of compression damping with a one-way valve to restrict oil flow.
Yeah, fixed. I should have added the word "can". If one were designing an electronically adjustable suspension, it might be desirable to have both compression and rebound damping affected by the same adjustment.

Reviewing:

https://www.bikeland.org/story.php?storyID=69812

The following statement appears as the last sentence in the section

"Features, new for 2013:"

"The engine's cylinders feature a liner-less design with direct plating

to the cylinder wall for superior heat dissipation."

I always thought this FJR had ceramic cylinder liners. If so, does the

statement mean they're gone, redesigned, replaced, other. Clues?

Thanks....

I always thought this FJR had ceramic cylinder liners. If so, does thestatement mean they're gone, redesigned, replaced, other. Clues?

Thanks....
I believe it was already covered in this thread...here for example. Definitely, don't want to start yet another thread on the subject though. ;)

Overall, I decry the loss of the AE model from the FJR lineup in 2012 and beyond. I've ridden both A & AE, and I own a 2009 AE and I love the bike, AND the ABsence of the clutch and foot shift management. No diss on folks who love the raw basics for shifting, and I did all that for years, but I enjoy having fewer things to think about while I am riding. Okay, I'm a lazy bastard (anticipating the ragging), but too effin' bad, it's my ride and I'll do it my way.

OTOH, I like the upgrades on the '13 and am seriously considering waiting a few more years and dropping an AE tranny and shift-linkage into a late model A bike to cheat. Lord knows I've done crazier things and enjoyed them!

See you on the highway!

Granger

Overall, I decry the loss of the AE model from the FJR lineup in 2012 and beyond.
Have you not been reading? The AE has been returned to the model lineup in 2013, only it is called the "AS" and is only available outside North America. You could buy one overseas and then import it yourself. That would probably be less of a hassle than a DIY home made version, but not by much.

You and the other Americans that miss the AE availability here so much need to let Yamaha Cyprus hear your thoughts. If they thought they could sell them they would certainly bring them in again. But, after they were left on dealers showroom floors for multiple years the last time around, it would take a lot of people "wanting" to overcome that negative experience.

Me? I'd just like them to put the better suspension on the the A model for '14 and I'd be a happy camper.

Of course, since these are completely different forks, designed "upside down" maybe they do not have the single sided damping adjusters that the new right side up forks have?

Tried to find an owners manual to download for the new 2013 AS (on the UK site) but they only have the AS owners manuals through 2010.
It is on both sides..... there are rear shocks that have a rebound setting only but it affects compression damping somewhat. With these new forks, we don't know until we get more info. They could be identical left to right or have functions split......... dunno yet.

BUT..... currently I dial in the suspension to where I want it and leave it..... I don't really see where I'd need to be playing with the suspension all the time unless I was on a track trying to dial in for the conditions of the day. I don't see the need to spend extra money on it, even though this electronic stuff will be a trend of the future.

It is on both sides..... there are rear shocks that have a rebound setting only but it affects compression damping somewhat. With these new forks, we don't know until we get more info. They could be identical left to right or have functions split......... dunno yet.BUT..... currently I dial in the suspension to where I want it and leave it..... I don't really see where I'd need to be playing with the suspension all the time unless I was on a track trying to dial in for the conditions of the day. I don't see the need to spend extra money on it, even though this electronic stuff will be a trend of the future.

I believe that the idea is you can have the suspension set softer and more compliant for when running down crappy road surfaces or easy touring type riding, then tighten it up more for when you are running on smoother roads and more aggressive riding style, like for when we northerners make our pilgrimages down south once or twice a year. ;)

Overall, I decry the loss of the AE model from the FJR lineup in 2012 and beyond.
The AE was discontinued in 2010. 2009 was the last time it was available in North America and there are STILL some brand new 2009s for sale in a few dealer showrooms with significant discounts from a conventional manual shifty. I'm not sure it bodes well for introducing the AS here next year if it also comes attached to an AE shift package.

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe that the idea is you can have the suspension set softer and more compliant for when running down crappy road surfaces or easy touring type riding, then tighten it up more for when you are running on smoother roads and more aggressive riding style, like for when we northerners make our pilgrimages down south once or twice a year.
wink.png
It's my experience, or maybe my opinion, that the most entertaining roads have less than perfect pavement.

No pavement is perfect, but compared to the frost heaved mess they call "pavement" in New England, there is certainly a wide variation in smoothness. And then there is always the unpaved... ;)