2013 FJR - Product announced!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Any other gen3 owners notice allot of gear noise between 60-65 regardless if in 4th or 5th?
Has anybody tried different oils such as rotella T 15-40 or castrol GTX 10-40 to reduce the noise?

I do not want to start an oil thread. Just thought a different oil might reduce the noise.
I'm sure that out of +10k Forum members that nobody has ever used or would ever use anything but Yamalube per the owners manual. Nor would we ever make changes or modifications to our FJR. Plus, we would never use the side bags and a trunk at the same time per the owners manual.

;)

Since it is your ears hearing the noise why don't you put Rotella or Castrol in your FJR and tell us if it made any difference. What I hear and what you hear on different bikes are likely to not be the same.

Gear noise is nothing new on FJRs. Balancers are straight-cut gears at engine speed, all tranny gears are straight-cut.

If it bothers you, wear earplugs, get louder cans, or both.
smile.png
Yah in aware of that...my 09 whined between 60-65 too just seems the 13 us louder. No biggie just wondering.
Possibly the wind noise is quieter, so the gear whine is more noticeable.

Gear noise is nothing new on FJRs. Balancers are straight-cut gears at engine speed, all tranny gears are straight-cut.

If it bothers you, wear earplugs, get louder cans, or both.
smile.png
Yah in aware of that...my 09 whined between 60-65 too just seems the 13 us louder. No biggie just wondering.
Possibly the wind noise is quieter, so the gear whine is more noticeable.
That very well might be. It certainly IS quieter even with my old Rifle windshield. Wifey says its better for her as well.

Cruise Control Sucks...Gear Noise Too Loud...

Sounds like a great reason to start stockpiling ammunition against the Gen III if ya ask me!
evilsmiley03.png

Any Gen III owners have a spider bite yet????
lol.gif

Cruise Control Sucks...Gear Noise Too Loud...

Sounds like a great reason to start stockpiling ammunition against the Gen III if ya ask me!
evilsmiley03.png

Any Gen III owners have a spider bite yet????
lol.gif
Not yet Steve-O, but SkooterG did pinch my ass! Does that count?

Last edited by a moderator:
You guys kill me. "Getting a little off track" is a serious understatement.

Anyway, it looks like we're in the February "Motorcylist." The title reads, "First Ride: 2013 Yamaha FJR1300A--Not All New, But Mostly." They begin by saying that... "Yamaha, mindful of the weak world economy, decided that it was smarter to thoroughly revise it's flagship sport-tourer than commit to an entirely new design." They commented that research indicated that current owners wanted BIG mileage potential, resulting in cruise, ride-by-wire complete with sport/touring modes, a faster adj. on the windshield, and revised programming to allow it to stay in position (oh how we begged for this) w/key off. They gave the ABS, sport/tour modes and the TC a reasonable evaluation, and finished up withe these comments: "The new FJR delivers superb safety and comfort features, flawless cruise control, and seemingly endless ergonomic adjustability... For it's intended purpose--ticking off huge miles with minimum drama--the package is enormously capable and refined..." Their final verdict: 5 stars. They had a few criticisms as well, mostly about the marginal effect of the adjustable side vents and wanting better power and handling. They rated it at 144.1 hp, 101.8 lb/ft. torque and 637 lbs. Personally, I feel like it was an admirable job, by the same mag that many laughed at for posting that a new FJR was coming just a few months ago. Granted their predictions were hit and miss, but remember that Mama Yamma demostrated bulletproof security on this new model.

Gary

darksider #44

You guys kill me. "Getting a little off track" is a serious understatement.

Anyway, it looks like we're in the February "Motorcylist." The title reads, "First Ride: 2013 Yamaha FJR1300A--Not All New, But Mostly." They begin by saying that... "Yamaha, mindful of the weak world economy, decided that it was smarter to thoroughly revise it's flagship sport-tourer than commit to an entirely new design." They commented that research indicated that current owners wanted BIG mileage potential, resulting in cruise, ride-by-wire complete with sport/touring modes, a faster adj. on the windshield, and revised programming to allow it to stay in position (oh how we begged for this) w/key off. They gave the ABS, sport/tour modes and the TC a reasonable evaluation, and finished up withe these comments: "The new FJR delivers superb safety and comfort features, flawless cruise control, and seemingly endless ergonomic adjustability... For it's intended purpose--ticking off huge miles with minimum drama--the package is enormously capable and refined..." Their final verdict: 5 stars. They had a few criticisms as well, mostly about the marginal effect of the adjustable side vents and wanting better power and handling. They rated it at 144.1 hp, 101.8 lb/ft. torque and 637 lbs. Personally, I feel like it was an admirable job, by the same mag that many laughed at for posting that a new FJR was coming just a few months ago. Granted their predictions were hit and miss, but remember that Mama Yamma demostrated bulletproof security on this new model.

Gary

darksider #44
We must have read different versions of Motorcyclist because the final verdict on mine was 4 stars....which is a very average rating. I thought the article did a good job of highlighting all the changes but it was hardly an endorsement with comments like "Better, but is it better than the rest?" and the final sentence "But if you're looking for something that will move you great distances and move your soul, this FJR has a few more miles to go."

If I had to summarize that article it would be "nice package but a bit boring"........which is not my opinion, just how I read the article. They gave much more positive reviews to the CB1100 on the next page and the C14 in the Smart Money section on page 89.

I agree with MCRIDER007. I did not find this review overly positive. Almost every review I read in Motorcyclist & Cycle World is aways overly positive. This review was about a 7 on the 1 to 10 scale. I was actually disapointed in their review.

I don't put too much stock in the mags reviews. They spend a few days and a few hundred miles with a bike and then write it up. Forums liike this give riders much better insight into what owners with many years and thousands of miles have to say. I think the magazines are at a huge disadvantage to forum discussions when it comes to reviews. The only thing they can quickly evaluate is horspower/acceleration. While I would concede to a C14 in a 1/4 mile drag race, as a practical matter, the FJR has always had plenty of power, handling and features to get most any job done. Each generation FJR I've had has been a great bike and I expect the new one to give me plenty of miles and smiles, quicky magazine reviews be damned.

It had a BMW roundel on it, they would have heaped praise on it and declared it motorcycle of the year.. Even though they only spend a few days a few hundred miles on bikes, it's hard to miss the very noticeable and very annoying driveline lash and very clunky transmission on the K1600, but was it mentioned in their review? not that I recall. My K1600 had it very badly..

Cycle World just published its "First Ride" report in the February 2013 issue. I felt it was more positive than Motorcyclist's report but it looks like we are going to have to wait for a later "shoot out" to get a comprehensive evaluation.

My evaluation is THIS THING IS GREAT! It's prettier than a C14, lighter and less expensive than a BMW 6, very likely will be dead nuts reliable and all its features are intuitive and are genuinely useful. We haven't had the weather to really go sporting but this thing has mostly Gen II DNA in chassis and motor so if the suspension is in the ballpark when assaulting the curves, Gen III is a keeper for sure.

I don't put too much stock in the mags reviews. They spend a few days and a few hundred miles with a bike and then write it up. Forums liike this give riders much better insight into what owners with many years and thousands of miles have to say. I think the magazines are at a huge disadvantage to forum discussions when it comes to reviews. The only thing they can quickly evaluate is horspower/acceleration. While I would concede to a C14 in a 1/4 mile drag race, as a practical matter, the FJR has always had plenty of power, handling and features to get most any job done. Each generation FJR I've had has been a great bike and I expect the new one to give me plenty of miles and smiles, quicky magazine reviews be damned.
No way would I concede to a C14 in a 1320 or a 1600 Beemer either- some mags have quicker ET for the Feej.. I have had the pleasure of putting some quick bikes on the trailer-holeshot is everything and the mighty FJR is easy to launch..

Before I decided on the FJR, I seriously considered the C14. One of the deciding factors was the FJR's 24K mile valve check interval vs. C14's 15K miles, plus a lot more labor: remove tupperware, remove radiator, etc..dealer says it's an 8 hour job. At any rate, the FJR ticked off more boxes for me than did the C14.

The latest edition of Ultimate Moto has the Gen 3 FJR on the cover and it gets a nice review. Ultimate Moto is a free magazine for iPad, available at the iTunes store. (not sure if it's also available for Android).

Ultimately, the only test ride that matters is the one I take on the bike...