2013 FJR - Product announced!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm in km, so I was trying to talk miles.. and I was off! 42,000 km FJR vs. 24,000 km for C14.. The strange this is that in Europe, the GTR14/C14 has a valve service interval similar to the FJR's, but in US/Canada, it's reduced to 24k km.. No idea why.

My SuperTenere has a 26K miles valve check interval vs. 6K miles for my former 1200GS.

Check out Ultimate Moto magazine on iTunes... subscription is free and there's even a riding video of the Gen 3 in the current issue.. I let my Motorcyclist subscription lapse and now only receive MCN. I'll wait to see what Searle & Co. have to say.

I'm in km, so I was trying to talk miles.. and I was off! 42,000 km FJR vs. 24,000 km for C14.. The strange this is that in Europe, the GTR14/C14 has a valve service interval similar to the FJR's, but in US/Canada, it's reduced to 24k km.. No idea why.
Kawasaki took the easy way out in their certifications to the EPA that the C14 engine could meet emissions requirements between valve adjustments. The North American engines have the same valve trains as the European engines.

Last edited by a moderator:
To the new 2013 owners, I haven't seen it addressed yet, but I had a 2006 and the throttle on-off response was the worst fueling on any bike I have ever owned (36 bikes to date). I made it better with a power commander, but it was never right. Ruined a great bike otherwise.

Does the 2013 have this issue at all? I wouldn't think so with the fly by wire design, but I am considering one so I need to know. I have the opportunity to buy a 2005 with 18K with flawless throttle response, but it obviously doesn't have the tech that the new one does. Thanks-

northsouth said:
To the new 2013 owners, I haven't seen it addressed yet, but I had a 2006 and the throttle on-off response was the worst fueling on any bike I have ever owned (36 bikes to date). I made it better with a power commander, but it was never right. Ruined a great bike otherwise.

Does the 2013 have this issue at all? I wouldn't think so with the fly by wire design, but I am considering one so I need to know. I have the opportunity to buy a 2005 with 18K with flawless throttle response, but it obviously doesn't have the tech that the new one does. Thanks-
Its actually been addressed many times previously.

The 2008 FJR had much better fuel injection than your 2006. Not only has Yammie been making incremental improvements in the FJR's fuel injection over the years, but your 2006 model also suffered from the misguided attempt to fix something that was not broken by radically changing the profile of the throttle cam.

My 2009 FJR has butter smooth fueling. Much better than any of my Gen Is, and they weren't all that bad either.

And as directly to your question, '13 FJR owners have been reporting absolutely smooth fueling.

Conceding to a C14 or a K1600 is a bad idea since they all have a very close power to weight ratio. In the corners, I've shown every C14 I've seen my tail lights. A better C14 rider would prolly show me his.

I’ve only owned 4 Yamaha’s (R6, FZ6, 2005 FJR, 2013 FJR) but, every one of them demonstrated very abrupt on/off throttle response. The FJR in particular seems inclined to very enthusiastic engine braking mapping. Sometimes this is a good thing (when the radar detector goes off); other times (wet pavement) not so much. The 2013 in T mode ameliorates this fairly well. But S mode requires a precisely modulated right hand to avoid being jerked back and forth in the saddle (and unintentional loading of the tires)

My '06 was very abrupt. I was kind of able to adapt to it or I at least got to where it didn't bother me over the years. The 2013 in T mode is very good in this regard, pretty close to perfect imho. I haven't been using S mode much in the cold weather. I know S mode on my '09 R1 was too abrupt for me even at the track.

Anyway, regarding fueling, I'd say you should consider the issue solved on the 2013 FJR.

Conceding to a C14 or a K1600 is a bad idea since they all have a very close power to weight ratio. In the corners, I've shown every C14 I've seen my tail lights. A better C14 rider would prolly show me his.
I only meant in a straight line drag race. I ain't skeered of any ole C14 or Beemer 1600 in a twisty road environment. The FJR's thermo nuclear mid range power can drive out of corners with the very best of 'em.

If anyone thinks the Gen 3 throttle response jerky, you ought to try the BMW K1600's fly by wire throttle. It has NO throttle cables, like on the FJR. Try to decelerate by reducing the throttle to a nearly closed position while not fully closing it, (such as when decelerating to a lower posted highway speed), and it's either on or off / open or closed, no inbetween.. jerky jerky... and you're reminded of this with the driveline backlash when throttle closes... I'm so glad to be rid of that bike!! the FJR's is the epitome of smoothness by comparison.

Remember that the '06 and '07 had a very sharply formed throttle cam shape, which was changed to a more normal item in '08. That was what the well-known G2 doo-dad was for. So if you had an '06 or '07, you had the "worst" off/on throttle ever put on an FJR.

Remember that the '06 and '07 had a very sharply formed throttle cam shape, which was changed to a more normal item in '08. That was what the well-known G2 doo-dad was for. So if you had an '06 or '07, you had the "worst" off/on throttle ever put on an FJR.
This is very true. But.... Once you find and master the "Sweet Spot" you can make as smooth as silk. Didn't take long. I still have the original throttle. Not a problem for me.
punk.gif

This is very true. But.... Once you find and master the "Sweet Spot" you can make as smooth as silk. Didn't take long. I still have the original throttle. Not a problem for me.
punk.gif
Same here. My '07 started out kind of rough, but hasn't been a problem since the slack in the throttle cables was adjusted correctly. Maybe I'm just used to it, but I sort of have to work to make the throttle jump.

However, I will concede that these bikes all have different personalities when it comes to stuff like vibration, throttle response, shifting, and just about everything else. All these subjective issues are also affected by the rider's need to whine.

Gawd...This slow response double posting BS is about irritating already. Swear to God, I'll donate $20 to help fund the updates and server stuff if we can get this fixed.

Gawd...This slow response double posting BS is about irritating already. Swear to God, I'll donate $20 to help fund the updates and server stuff if we can get this fixed.
+1, Gunny; I'll match your $20 'Zilla and I'd bet fifty other FJR Forumites would do the same, out of my five Motorcycle Forums I subscribe to: This site is the slowest one by far!

My SuperTenere has a 26K miles valve check interval vs. 6K miles for my former 1200GS.

Check out Ultimate Moto magazine on iTunes... subscription is free and there's even a riding video of the Gen 3 in the current issue.. I let my Motorcyclist subscription lapse and now only receive MCN. I'll wait to see what Searle & Co. have to say.
Apples and oranges comparison..Your S10 has shims and the GS has screw type adjusters.

punk.gif
Same here. My '07 started out kind of rough, but hasn't been a problem since the slack in the throttle cables was adjusted correctly. Maybe I'm just used to it, but I sort of have to work to make the throttle jump.

However, I will concede that these bikes all have different personalities when it comes to stuff like vibration, throttle response, shifting, and just about everything else. All these subjective issues are also affected by the rider's need to whine.
Once I adjusted cables on my '06 and learned the bike, it was smooth enough not to be a distraction. The addition of a G2 will lessen the abruptness on '06s & '07s and as HRZ states...every bike has a distinct personality.

--G

French moto journos got their hands on an 1200RT, new Triumph Trophy, and new FJR.

https://www.moto-station.com/article15224-p1-bmw-r-1200-rt-vs-triumph-trophy-1200-se-vs-yamaha-fjr-1300-a-le-match-des-gt-2013-.html#.UOUWvW99K84

It's a detailed 3 page review. If you use Google Chrome as your browser, it could translate it for you... it might make some sense.

I've owned an RT, I wouldn't buy it again. Sat on a a Trophy, didn't like the fit or the top heavy feel nor the styling.

I'm surprised they rated rider comfort on the FJR with only 3 stars. The main complaint was the too sporty position, too much weight on the hands.. that's why we install Helibars :D Problem solved!

I had a PC-III with the smoothness map installed on my Gen I FJR. The 2013 is better than that.

If you insist on ON-OFF-ON-OFF with the throttle, yeah, probably you can upset the chassis a little. Is that really a real-world situation for you?

I've driven the 2013 into a 10mph 90 degree corner in 2nd, off throttle to the apex then yanked on it. In Touring mode it just drove back out again. In S mode, grab your shorts. Do that in first gear, you should add "and figure out where you want to set the front tire down again..."

I ahve read various reviews on the 2013 and conclude there is little or no change. Have any of you who are now owners and have put some miles on the bike ready to offer comments on the seat?