2013 FJR - Product announced!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I ahve read various reviews on the 2013 and conclude there is little or no change. Have any of you who are now owners and have put some miles on the bike ready to offer comments on the seat?
Art, for some it's ok others don't like it (just like tires, windscreen...ect,ect) if the stock seat is ok on your '07 then you will be ok with the seat of the '13.

sleepysmileyanim.gif

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="art miller" data-cid="1029656" data-time="1357274521"><p>

I ahve read various reviews on the 2013 and conclude there is little or no change. Have any of you who are now owners and have put some miles on the bike ready to offer comments on the seat? </p></blockquote>

It's the same seat as the 2nd gen.

Last edited by a moderator:
<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="art miller" data-cid="1029656" data-time="1357274521"><p>I ahve read various reviews on the 2013 and conclude there is little or no change. Have any of you who are now owners and have put some miles on the bike ready to offer comments on the seat? </p></blockquote>
I assume you meant the seat. However, there sure have been some changes in this machine, many of which have not been mentioned much on our forum. I do a lot of reading and this is what I'm seeing. For example, from the March issue of Sport Rider Magazine, it says, "the new fairing and screen is a major improvement over the previous unit, especially when the screen is raised to its highest position." They have a lot more to say about that, it's a good read. Later they said about its handling, "But at a pace where the (gen 2) would begin to heave and weave, the new model still has something in reserve... ...but the new model is noticeably more composed when the turns start coming at you in rapid fire succession..." they had a lot more to say about that as well. They're final comment: "(we're)... impressed with the updates Yamaha instilled in its sport touring flagship... taking a measured, careful approach to development instead of going wild with gimmicks and knick knacks has resulted in a significantly improved FJR that bolstered most of the weak points we complained about..."

The magazine gave a number of interesting other details that I didn't know, for example that the primary tubes have been lengthened to help with power delivery. They also mentioned something that could easily be lost in the volume of moaning and groaning we've heard on this forum about the cruise: it a really well sorted and smooth performing upgrade. And if it's anything like what we've come to expect from Yamaha, it will hopefully be ultra reliable as well.

Gary

darksider #44

The '13 looks good. Miss my '07 Feejer (R.I.P.) I never felt like my FJR needed more power..

Just another gear and a bit more foot peg clearance. All in all, the 2013 looks very nice.

WW

I'm curious, is there ANY oil in the left fork leg? There has to be doesn't there since there are sliding surfaces? I guess a fork seal job is only one side now?

so far, the '13 feels like it has more power than the '08 (in sport mode)...may be the 3 or so additional hp and slighty more torque, or the weight reduction, but it feels quicker. Its all good!

I'm curious, is there ANY oil in the left fork leg? There has to be doesn't there since there are sliding surfaces? I guess a fork seal job is only one side now?
The left fork has a cartridge and the same oil, bushings, and seals as the right fork. It does not have adjustable tapered needles to change the oil flow to the rebound and low speed compression damping circuits.

so far, the '13 feels like it has more power than the '08 (in sport mode)...may be the 3 or so additional hp and slighty more torque, or the weight reduction, but it feels quicker. Its all good!
No one has published a dyno chart for the 2013 model but I would guess that extra power that everyone in noticing is the result of better mapping in the mid-range to get rid of the somewhat lumpy torque curve between 4-6K rpms. Another explanation could be is that Yamaha removed the restrictions they had in place to slow down and smooth the power flow when throttle is applied....which most manufactures do on fuel injected engines because a FI engine is usually too responsive, especially in the lower gears.

Sport mode: Quicker butterfly opening vs. twist grip rotation makes for a snappier feeling...just guessing? Waiting for a good dyno run to compare the curves.

Any throttle mapping is possible now with fly-by-wire.

--G

The left fork has a cartridge and the same oil, bushings, and seals as the right fork. It does not have adjustable tapered needles to change the oil flow to the rebound and low speed compression damping circuits.
So the left leg assists in the damping but only the right leg controls the marginal adjustments. I wonder if the left is fixed at the minimums or the standard settings? Does it also have a spring?

So the left leg assists in the damping but only the right leg controls the marginal adjustments. I wonder if the left is fixed at the minimums or the standard settings? Does it also have a spring?
Yes, it has the same spring as the right side....I would guess that the damping settings are the "standard" settings or where ever they would be if both forks lacked damping adjustments.

Was driving down Menaul Blvd. (in Albuquerque) today and passed by Bobby J's Yamaha. Felt the irresistible urge to flip a bitch and go have a look. Sure enough, all the way at the end of the row, past two brand new Gen II's, was a shiny new Gen III, #68:

photo.JPG

The sales guy said it's going to be a demo bike, once the weather warms up. Wouldn't be surprised if it sells before that can happen. All I can say is, the bodywork on the Gen III is friggin gorgeous... it looks even better in person. The only thing I'm not too crazy about is the black front fender. I'm sure Gary could fix that up without too much fanfare, though.

My '08 was giving me the stink-eye when I got home today. I wonder if she knows I lust for another...

I think i'ts been mentioned here but the no advertising American mag MCN has a very nice write up on the new FJR.

Also, our interweb friends at motorcycle online have a shootout with the ST1300 and C14. There are a few odd observations but overall a fair review imho.

https://www.motorcycle.com/shoot-outs/2013-sporttouring-shootout-10-video-91504.html

I've put about 450 miles on mine so far and I agree that this bike, with all its detail upgrades in its suspension, fueling, cc, fairing and dash, amounts to an overall solid improvement (they even like the seat, like me! ymmv) to what has always been a great chassis/engine package. Gen III is definitely the best FJR yet, imho and theirs.
coolsmiley02.gif

I think I'm going to wait til s/n 349 comes out before I get a 2013 model so my cruise control has no limit set on it.