2013 Iron Butt Rally - The Inside View

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
...and while I prepare to lay my precious little head to rest,

the real men will be riding all night long....

My prayers are for safe journeys, fun runs, and tales of derring' do..

Chicken! You mean he shaved the 6 colored braids he had in the earlier pics? There must be a way he can be given shit at each checkpoint where he's not sporting those braids. Warchild? You sent him off first after he defaced your best barber's artwork?!?

Oh, he's gonna pay, all right....
weirdsmiley.gif

IggyHairStart.jpg
For those that say Tobie's picture taking chops have slipped as of late - I present exhibit A. Very nice stuff indeed. If Matt goes on to win (which would be damn cool BTW!) this picture will be what I remember! Great on a lot of levels.

One of the riders that went to the Sioux routed down Hwy 400 just in time to hit Rush Hour in Toronto. Poor bastard is now inching across the city. This was a HUGH time wasting routing error. I am surprised that most of the riders on the northern loop did not run Hwy 17 out of North Bay and head to Ottawa before dropping down towards Montreal. Any of the local truckers will tell you that this is one of the quickest ways across Ontario and traffic is very light. If you look at a map it is also one of the most direct routes from the Sioux to Montreal on a major road. Sometimes the 400 series (Ontario equivalent to interstates) is not the fastest.
Never listen to a guy from Bowmanville if he offers you directions
help.gif
Bob Higdon put the zoo in as a 2009 Bonus and only Jim Owen seized it in the heat of the moment. The 'shwa rules and riders were all around the 'shwa yesterday and today claiming who knows what. The best thing about Bowmanville was I caught up with Rick Martin at the Esso Highway station there in 2005,. We got to sleep together later that night.
punk.gif

Remember this Bonus, It gave Bowmanville a bonus that will forever live in infamy

Code Zoo 738 Points Anytime

Take a picture of the entrance sign to the Bowmanville Zoo

Category: Bestiality (Second Offence)

A man was convicted of having sex with his neighbour's Labrador Retriever. The neighbour filmed the tryst with a Super 8 Camera while waiting the arrival of the police. Presiding over the case was Judge Bark.

BTW you are spot on on your road analysis

SNIP The best thing about Bowmanville was I caught up with Rick Martin at the Esso Highway station there in 2005,. We got to sleep together later that night.
punk.gif
That Martin gets around, I slept next to him in Jacksonville earlier this year.... I'd be more demure about this, but he's already told so many people, there's no point in me pretending it didn't happen any longer.

I'm watching the spot tracker to see if any of the Key West peeps come back up I-95. I'll go wave at em if they do. In looking at the bonus distribution from Higdon's report, I think there's a bonus in (or near) DC so maybe....

I heard Mountain's "Mississippi Queen" this morning on XM Radio and, of course, giggled myself silly thinking about Crane. So sorry to hear he had some issues, but glad that he was in a less undesirable place to have issues. Sounds like he's on the move again. I'm definitely cheering him on. I kinda have to, I was a bit brutal to him getting through tech
smile.png

I didn't see any of the riders around the 'shawa the once or twice I looked at the location page yesterday but given the theme it was either the GM Canada Headquarters in South 'Shawa, the Canadian Car Museum up on Simcoe St or Colonel Sam's digs (Colonel Sam was the founder of GM Canada) up by the hospital.

Last edited by a moderator:
Riders are not allowed to blog/FB/social media during this event, but they are certainly free to send quick notes to family/friends just to let them know all is well.

Despite the haircut I inadvertently gave him, Iggy still considers me a friend... I got a note from him this morning.

He somewhere in Michigan, and said traffic in Ontario was pretty awful yesterday. He is still well rested, and plans another 8 hours of sleep tonight (with its attending 1920 points!)

He intends to arrive at Checkpoint 1 a pinch early tomorrow; he says the nose of the bike is "a little loose"... not sure what the issue is, but no one wants a loose nose on the bike. He had a little "oopsie" moment in Quebec, and bent a light or light bracket, but t'was nothing serious.

He says he's feelin' good and seeing America....

It's too bad that they aren't hitting any bonus locations in Texas this week. We've had unusually cool temperatures, in fact you have to go back to 1923 to match it. Hardly know it's July here. I'm sure they'll be headed this way on one of the next two legs and it looks like the temps are going to hold for the most part, but with added rain early next week. Certainly way better than when they came through in 2011 and we went 1 day shy of hitting the record for consecutive days over 100F.
biggrin.png
Heck, five degrees colder this morning and I'd have tossed in the quilted liner!
biggrin.png

I can't wait for the end. I really like the video/gif someone usually puts together of the spotwalla thing as the riders progress...maybe someone can set it to the "Ants Marching": song...
I did the gathering vid. I'm collecting screenshots through the rally now. I'm never one good for picking background music (why the gathering has none) so maybe this is the way I'll go. I'm sure I'm not the only one collecting screens though.
Thanks for doing that- it's absolutely brilliant and I've probably watched it fifty times since 2011.

Nice to see you all again, thanks for being such great hosts- this is by far the best place I've found to watch the IBR.
You mean to tell me there's someplace else to watch it? Wife has already questioned if I intend to spend my whole weekend on the computer following it. Guess we all know what the correct answer is.
punk.gif

FYI, I didn't do the 2011 vids, and I'm not so brilliant, as it was the person who did the 2011 vids that got me to do it this time. Not sure if someone else is doing it but figured since I have the stuff to do it, I would....just in case no one else does.
biggrin.png

I do understand that Dale. However, on this end, it seems excessively slow, even with the increase in lookyloos like me. I was just more interested in whether others are seeing it this slow. Not a complaint, just curious.
smile.png

It's running fine for me, and I'm peeking through my notoriously slow work connection... Can't see spotwalla here, hafta look on the phone. That's no fun. Guess I'll just have to go home, right?

Forum is running just a touch slow where I'm at but nothing too objectionable. My problem is these damn people that think I'm actually supposed to get work done! Don't these people know this is like our SuperBowl!

Status
Not open for further replies.