2013 Iron Butt Rally - The Inside View

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The primary problem with a KW ride in past rallies is the point density was often up too low for those striving for a podium finish.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sally still thinks going to the NW was a mistake and the SW route was the better one. Although, he didn't bet his name on it this time. What could be worse than calling himself Sally?

John Coons and Alex Schmidt went North with Matt.

Wendy went south, Tim went south but was, I think, behind Wendy.

That leaves Derek, Josh and Craig who could be Fla guy. ... Meese could be Fla. guy too, but in this rumour-filled world I suspect it is not him.

It's looking really quite good for Wendy and Derek ... Maybe Tim too.

Bob Higdon's report for today is up, but he's throwin' a bit of cold water on the Iggy steam roller strategy.
Bah, don't be buying into the bullshit-smoke-up-our-ass that Higgy is blowing.... he knows Matt will read it, just like he'll read this post here, and he'll know it's special Higgy-smoke...
wink.png

I mean, seriously... does this guy look like a trusted source to you?

higgyscowl.jpg

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Hats off to the three riders who rode 100 miles of Nevada gravel roads, that's some real riding on a loaded up bike.

IMG_1554_zpsb2fc51bd.jpg

I talked to Toni when she first pulled into Rancho after I saw all the Playa dust on her bike I knew she was one the Jungo rd. riders.

She's from NY and has never been near Gerlach before and that's big lonely desert country out there. Heck of a rider she is!

Bob Higdon's report for today is up, but he's throwin' a bit of cold water on the Iggy steam roller strategy.
Bah, don't be buying into the bullshit-smoke-up-our-ass that Higgy is blowing.... he knows Matt will read it, just like he'll read this post here, and he'll know it's special Higgy-smoke...
wink.png

higgyscowl.jpg

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
He's an Attorney, nuf said :)

Tornado warnings and severe thunderstorms here in Cranberry Twp.... Thursday and Friday are supposed to be gorgeous though.
Yup, I rode through the worst of it getting here. There was a tornado seen near here. Lisa is slipping, I am sure she ordered this for thursday night into Friday morning.
oh, and closed streets, flooded areas of town, hail, the works. First time ive been cold riding in months.

That leaves Derek, Josh and Craig who could be Fla guy. ... Meese could be Fla. guy too, but in this rumour-filled world I suspect it is not him.
If I were putting money down, it'd be on Josh being in Fla. I can't wait to see how all the different strategies play out...

Do the riders know what the required points are for being a finisher?
LindaT.
Yes, they do.

Sidebar: Honey, I gotta send you my tankbag ASAP so's you can fix up a complete destroyed zipper! It wasn't one of your tankbags, doll; which was the obvious problem, in hindsight..
wink.png

First off, I know you have more clout than I do Dale, but I've been waiting for my Aux. Fuel Cell cover since December. Linda T. said something about Iron Butt guys/gals taking priority over me.
fool.gif
As they should...

As for, Matt. I would never think he would make a bad route choice. I'm pretty sure if he thought there was a route that could beat him, he would have gone for that route himself. I guy like Meese is the only other rider, that would take such a risky move and considering he needed to take that risk, my bet is that it's him in the Keys.

All riders out there are awesome in my book and I wish them all a safe trip to the barn.

wink.png

higgyscowl.jpg

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
He's an Attorney, nuf said
smile.png
Well, FoOK -- if I'd known that,* I'd have discounted it right outta hand.
tonguesmiley.gif
laugh.png

* Everybody knows you cain't trust none of us them attorney bullshitters with FACTS, and I've sure disagreed with a bunch of 'em over the years.
punk.gif

If I ever have the honor of riding in an IBR and then the misfortune of having to drop out, I am going to leave my SPOT on and then ride to the damnedest places just to confuse the hell out of everyone.
Thats the best and most evil thing I have seen posted since.... dirt was a rock... I would put it on a plane just to mess with people.... to south America.... yep I like your thinking

Wow! People are everywhere. Gotta give some kudos to Tom Austin, no definite route for the most points. Makes this truly interesting.

ps I think the guy in key West has some yellow in his Stitch. Don't ask me how I know this
not_i.gif
?

tel

Still no movement in Florida, looking forward to seeing where s/he is when I wake up.

Couple thoughts about Fla guy:

1) Meese doesn't do public SPOT.

2) That dot hasn't moved for a REALLY long time. Too long for any serious rally contender. I suspect he forgot to reset it and that rider is no longer in KW.

3) Wendy Crockett, I love you and even though your dot is in the "Finishers" section of my map, I want you to win.

Status
Not open for further replies.