2013 Iron Butt Rally - The Inside View

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If I ever have the honor of riding in an IBR and then the misfortune of having to drop out, I am going to leave my SPOT on and then ride to the damnedest places just to confuse the hell out of everyone.
Maybe you just wait at a rest stop waiting for someone who looks to be headed to Alaska and give them your SPOT - costs a little bit more in replacement gear but alot easier :)

In fact, I got a quick text from Iggy a hour ago... he was able to surf our IBR Inside View thread, and was elated to read that that Susan Watt is bringing her special brownies to the Finish Line, "it has boosted my spirit!", he claims.

I am packing up the Brownies in my suitcase as I type this. 3;30 a.m. air cab.

it was great to see the riders coming through and I was glad I was off work early enough to join Susan at the Bonus.

Watching Matt roll up and then seeing his face light up when he sees friends at the bonus waiting with cold water bottles & home baking is a real boost for each rider .

My brother met some of the riders in Ontario at a bonus with cold water, bananas and a box of Tim Hortons. He said that the rookies on Day 1 were blown away.

It seems funny to be flying to the checkpoint like Warchild and not driving a car like IBR Staff normally do.

I rode my KTM working on the IB 5000 and my BMW K12GT for the '09 & '11 Butt. I trust the KTM 990 more.

I rode I work today and will depart from here. Went thru about 10 minutes of a down pour. Poor me.

Key Wea is on the move. As impressive as that rider has done, pretty sure Higdon is blowing smoke. Just my thoughts.

That leaves Derek, Josh and Craig who could be Fla guy. ... Meese could be Fla. guy too, but in this rumour-filled world I suspect it is not him.
If I were putting money down, it'd be on Josh being in Fla. I can't wait to see how all the different strategies play out...
I believe he might be active duty so the "rest stop" info fits this scenario.

Last edited by a moderator:
Couple thoughts about Fla guy:
1) Meese doesn't do public SPOT.

2) That dot hasn't moved for a REALLY long time. Too long for any serious rally contender. I suspect he forgot to reset it and that rider is no longer in KW.
He was sleepin, give the guy a break, he just laid out two back to back BBG's and then some, on the back of some already pretty monstrous rides. At 33 hours out, he's 19 hours from the barn with less than a handful of boni between him and the barn and really straight shot, unlike some of those still in Montana, upper left of South Dakota, hell even Idaho and Wyoming. This cat is poised if Higdon's report is accurate. s/he might just pull it off, if the points fall where they may. It will really depend on what those who went south but not Key West do IMHO.

Interesting to see if the riders coming up 85 will be making a stop at the BMW plant in Spartanburg? May have to sneak out and catch a glimpse as they go by...like others have said it's pretty cool having them right in your own backyard!

So, I woke up this morning thinking about the IBR and the insanity of the mileage these riders are putting in. Than, as is normal for me, I realized I was hungry and changed gears to thinking about what is for breakfast. Which than led me to wonder:

How do these riders manage their meals?

I'm gathering they have required rest stops, so you could catch a meal or two there (Hotel food); but are those stops daily?

I keep imagining tired, dirty, IBR riders pulling into drive-through windows; but can't imagine how that would be good for overall performance.

Just wondering.

Man, leading edge of a huge storm cell is just hitting I-65 in AL. Hope that group of riders hustle and get north before it hits hard.

As for eating, riders have their own methods. Most munch on tank bag snacks primarily with an occassional Subway sandwich or double cheeseburger from McDonalds or a quick sit down, like Denny's etc. Personally, I was primarily beef jerky, cashews, 'power bars' (usually not that brand, but you get the idea) with an occassional stop at a fast food joint. I'd find myself craving a baked potato, of all things, from time to time and so would hit a Wendy's and get that. Figured it was some kind of vitamin that my body knew it needed.

I just got a text from our Key West rider. What a monster. I must say, sense of humor is intact
smile.png
Not worried in the least about our nutjob's state of mind.
punk.gif

Nope no BMW plant....they just zoomed right by. I figured that would be a good bonus location, easy too! Man I want to go out and snap some pics.....maybe when the big group comes through!

Actually on refresh it looks like a lot of them are cutting across on I20 through Columbia....on the way to I95 I presume.....wonder why they wouldn't just continue on 85....? I got nothin....just a humble observer....

Interesting to see if the riders coming up 85 will be making a stop at the BMW plant in Spartanburg? May have to sneak out and catch a glimpse as they go by...like others have said it's pretty cool having them right in your own backyard!
It looks like a gaggle of them may be passing through my area in Hampton Roads after hitting the NC bonuses.

Eating while on a "ride" is about low fat, low carb, high protein, and staying hydrated. Think of all the things you might eat which would make you sleepy. Avoid them. Cliff Bars, beef jerky, water, water, water. I seldom used sport drinks and when I did it was always diluted 50% with water. Every 2nd day get a good mean with lots of veggies for their roughage. Solder on.

I found a decent place was Cracker Barrel of all places was juuust right one time. Chicken and dumplings with 2 green veggie sides. Eat the veggies, pick the chicken out, and avoid the dumplings. Heat in 2003 was like it has been this year. The timing was right so the wait wasn't lunch-ruck long but long enough to get out of the heat, wash my face while waiting for the food to come, and take a quick break. It wasn't nearly as fun as the floor show at 3am in the Waffle House in Roanoke, VA. Those employees were hilarious.

Nope no BMW plant....they just zoomed right by. I figured that would be a good bonus location, easy too! Man I want to go out and snap some pics.....maybe when the big group comes through!
Actually on refresh it looks like a lot of them are cutting across on I20 through Columbia....on the way to I95 I presume.....wonder why they wouldn't just continue on 85....? I got nothin....just a humble observer....
There are 7551 points for Kitty Hawk, and another 1005 on Cape Hatteras, according to Higdon's report last night.

There are 7551 points for Kitty Hawk, and another 1005 on Cape Hatteras, according to Higdon's report last night.
Ahh...well I guess that explains them cutting off on I20 instead of coming up by me. Dang it!! I missed my opportunity to model that new bra!!

Now the two that did come through are hanging around up in the Shelby/Cherryville area of NC. I wonder what is there?? I must say it does get more exciting when they are close to your local area!! I find myself watching those two closely now!! lol

Eating while on a "ride" is about low fat, low carb, high protein, and staying hydrated. Think of all the things you might eat which would make you sleepy. Avoid them. Cliff Bars, beef jerky, water, water, water. I seldom used sport drinks and when I did it was always diluted 50% with water. Every 2nd day get a good mean with lots of veggies for their roughage. Solder on.
water, water, water, water, water -- If you get tired of it or want a different flavor, get sugar-free lemon drops. (or similar). I think I had one Coke along the way. It was a nice break and a 'reward' for being ahead of schedule at one stop.

it also helps to know what foods "go right thru you" and avoid those at all costs. I haven't done the IBR, but on my BB1500 out to Portland I skipped anything that I knew would taste good but require an "extra stop" sooner than I needed.

Update on our FJRForum peeps - ~ 6:30am PDT, 11 July

At this point in the Rally, SPOTs seem to become less and less accurate (or lag more than they did earlier in the rally, whichever), so I am trying to provide Inside View info with that in mind. This seems to be the case for both the public Spotwalla page, and the Rally Staff page.

Iggy: a rather remarkable dash for Iggy last night... he is positioning himself to strike Cranberry before Penalty window - maybe not by much, though. A flat tire, unexpected construction or other slow-down could make for Badness. He is currently in the center of the country.

Howard Entman: I am hoping his SPOT is lagging, because he is still waaaay too far west for my comfort, given ~ 24 hours to go...

Wendy: Holy shit, Wendy is kicking ass.... she's among that group in the Deep South as they are starting their march north.

eeksnake: Chris still shows in Texas... SPOT lag, hopefully

TriggerT: Is among that group currently enjoying the Alabama humidity.

Rusty: is well north of Wendy, moving right along, thank-you-very-much...

Paul Peloquin: Pretty much in the dead center of the country, well south of Iggy.

stryg8r: among that northbound train of riders near Atlanta

Colin24: is finally back in the USA, and well behind Iggy, but tracking east.

Eric V: center of the country, marching east

Perry: fairly close to srtyg8r, moving north

Pathfinder: among that Alabama train of riders

TEXT FROM IGGY: (sent less than an hour ago)

Yesterday was a tough and bottom day for him the most part. No bonus between BC and Wisconsin. He had to play catch-up to get his last possible day bonuses.He'll should finish the day well within 400 miles of Cranberry.

He watched Northern Lights last night ...and off gas fires from MASSIVE amount of oil wells across half of North Dakota.

Watching SPOT, he acknowledges that he sees some serious riding by several riders and serious points.

He says that Higgy's report might likely prove to be true, but he's still going to snag bonuses up until the last minute. There are 15 available on the PA turnpike between Pittsburgh and Philip...so he'll go as far as he has time and turn around. He still has a goal of a Top Ten.

Otherwise, he says he is rooting for Wendy Crockett to win!
punk.gif

He snap off this pic of his sunrise this morning, moving at a Cogno pace:

iggyday10sunrise.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.