2013 Iron Butt Rally - The Inside View

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wish I knew what the boni was in Duluth, I just happen to be up here on vacation..........It could be the ship, the train. #145 is close. I wish them all well on the run to the barn.
Steve
My thought was it might be the Richard Bong museum in Superior. There's a restored P-38 Lightning there (very cool.)

Bunch of riders coming into the Twin Cities right now. Nice weather here.
That is what it is as far as I know. I caught someone stopped there on SPOT this morning. There are some other clues in the dailies and the Leg 2 Bonus List.

Morning photos from Barber Motorsports Museum, courtesy of John Harrison:

Here is my favorite 2-up couple this year: Jon Good and Ande Bergmann:

2013-07-11_11-37-16_439.jpg

TriggerT....

2013-07-11_09-50-38_789.jpg

Kendell on his MotoGuzzi Norge...

2013-07-11_09-50-44_387.jpg

One of my more favorite of my Texas women: Dianne Fox, of of the few "teams" this year, riding alongside her husband Bobby:

2013-07-11_10-49-20_616.jpg

Uh-oh....unless it's a bonus I see #157 at the BMW dealer in Atlanta. It is close to the Air Base and the plane they have on display though.
This is from LDRider email>

noticed a rider's SPOT at BMW of Atlanta (about 4 miles from my house).

Being the Fretful Southern Woman that I am, I called Bob Wooldridge to see

what was up.

Daniel Roth's final drive was starting to go. Bob & team replaced it and

had Daniel back on the road in under 2 hours.

Hopefully, that didn't set him back too much. He rode in BL6 and is a

super nice guy. I was thrilled to see him at 15th after CP2.

Kudos to Bob and the guys at BMW ATL!

Seems everyone is bypassing Cape Hatteras and heading north. Makes me wonder as I thought that was good for 1005 points while the DC bonus (which is going to be close to make in daylight at this time of the day anyway) is only 755. Weather doesn't look so good in the area though it is moving out and then should be good. Guess we'll find out soon enough...

Uh-oh....unless it's a bonus I see #157 at the BMW dealer in Atlanta. It is close to the Air Base and the plane they have on display though.

what was up.

Gotta love that! :)

what was up.

Yep...see him on the move and heading right for spagetti junction at rush hour. Good luck with that!!

edit: Looks like he's past the worst of the traffic and moving well, so good for him!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Iggy text update:

• claims his rear tire is okay, it will make it to Cranberry, it's got a good 1/8" of tread above indicator bands.
  • Just bag himself a 500 point bonus (didn't say what it was)
  • Claims he is headed to another motorcycle bonus location
  • is on track for a pre-8am arrival in Cranberry

Kind of funny....

I zoomed in on the SPOT in Lubbock, TX. Shows it sitting at a locksmith. Went to street view and there just happens to be a bike with what looks like an auxilary fuel tank parked on the sidewalk against the building.

Lubbox Tx should be Roni's bike. Another BMW final drive failure. He got on a borrowed bike just to finish, but put it down a few hrs later so he is out.

Miles

Kind of funny....
I zoomed in on the SPOT in Lubbock, TX. Shows it sitting at a locksmith. Went to street view and there just happens to be a bike with what looks like an auxilary fuel tank parked on the sidewalk against the building.
You are probably getting the signal from the broken bike, and seeing Bill's Vulcan which is probably parked there a lot.

You may have worked this out already, and I am being redundant :D

Lubbox Tx should be Roni's bike. Another BMW final drive failure. He got on a borrowed bike just to finish, but put it down a few hrs later so he is out.
Miles
Dang! How many does that make so far?

hmm...wondering now...Has there EVER been a failed final drive on an FJR in the Iron Butt??

Kind of funny....
You are probably getting the signal from the broken bike, and seeing Bill's Vulcan which is probably parked there a lot.

You may have worked this out already, and I am being redundant
biggrin.png
Perhaps redundant but, Google Street View is updated about every 5 years by Google camera trucks driving the streets and highways.... that bike does not look ready to grind out anything other than a short commute to work! LOL!

9266137128_46800eb422_o.jpg

Kind of funny....

Kind of funny....

You may have worked this out already, and I am being redundant
biggrin.png
Perhaps redundant but, Google Street View is updated about every 5 years by Google camera trucks driving the streets and highways.... that bike does not look ready to grind out anything other than a short commute to work! LOL!
Maybe. But he only has to fill up with gas once every 3 months!

Status
Not open for further replies.