2013 Iron Butt Rally - The Inside View

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Another word of thanks from the peanut gallery. Really appreciated the banter here.

Got me thinking...I reckon there's lights and a seat in my Gen 1's future and a rally or three.

I'll probably leave the IBR for the Bog Dogs though. Quite the accomplishment.

Some killer Finish pics....

Wendy....

image004.jpg

Sal...

image058.jpg

Eric V with Cletha....

image013.jpg

Iggy mirror....

image040.jpg

Rusty Bachmann,...

image031.jpg

Tonie Cowen...

Finsh%20line%20to%208am%20-%20Part%20Two_Page_09_Image_0001.jpg

Running in to avoid being time-barred....

Finsh%20line%20to%208am%20-%20Part%20Two_Page_29_Image_0001.jpg

Just want to add my thanks to everyone too. Had fun following this one!

One final thought though looking at the pic of Iggy's mirror and some of the other bug encrusted bike pics...

That Ninja didn't have much of a windshield did it????

bad.gif

Another word of thanks from the peanut gallery. Really appreciated the banter here.

Got me thinking...I reckon there's lights and a seat in my Gen 1's future and a rally or three.

As a fellow lurker and future FJR owner, I too just want to say thanks for the commentary, especially those on or interacting with the staff and riders. This is my 2nd year watching thru this site and I have really enjoyed it!

..a

I don't watch spectator sports at all. Not football, baseball, basketball or any other, but I've been glued to my monitor for the last 12 days. Thanks for all the great coverage.

I am grateful for the coverage here and for all the hard work by those who made it possible.

It helped keep alive the many images in my brain (and on my camera) from the visit to R.C. What a ride!

Just adding my thanks to Dale, et al, for the glimpse into the caldron afforded on this forum. As in '11, I have been quietly but frantically hitting my F5 key until the paint is worn off, hungry for whatever news/speculation/rumor I might obtain. I'm happy to hear that Matt made it in safely. I don't know him as well as some here do but I have been in a couple of rallies with him and always - ALWAYS - enjoyed his company as well as all of the info and insight that he's never reluctant to share. The same goes for nearly every participant I've had the pleasure of sharing a rider's meeting, bonus location or banquet table with. It's not likely that I'll ever attain Big Dog status in this sport but I love it all the same and one of the biggest reasons is the people.

Just a hunch but I'll bet Iggy's shock failure was more a result of the roads heading north into Wallowa Lake, OR than anything else.

There is an AWESOME rally just south of you next month... and it has a "Beginner's Class".... go for it!!

The 2013 Big Sky Rally - "Into The Unknown"!

MontanaMap.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Coming down slowly, but will be needing a fix by this evening. Being up til 2:30 am PDT watching the ending unfold is far too late for an armchair rallier. Glad no one was seriously injured, but sorry to read of the incredibly bad luck of Mssrs. Jewel and Meese. I gotta go listen to music all day in the sun, but will be itching to know the final tally. Fervently hoping for a 1 - 2 finish from Mr. Watkins and Ms. Crockett on the superior Gen I FJRs.

WC, you have created a monster, and you give truly shitty haircut, but what many of us want to know is: what, if any, role did you have in selection of the accent color on Iggy's rally bike? Obviously, it works, but (with apologies to Michigan Wolverines) you'd almost have to be blind to make such a pretty '05 FJR look like that!
bad.gif
tonguesmiley.gif
winksmiley02.gif

And now, breaking away from the computer for a spell . . .

Last edited by a moderator:

There is an AWESOME rally just south of you next month... and it has a "Beginner's Class".... go for it!!

The 2013 Big Sky Rally - "Into The Unknown"!
+1 to this. The Big Sky Rally - The Good, Bad, and the Ugly was a great time. You'll also have to chance to meet a lot of the people you got to follow during this and past IBR's.

Bob and Sylvie are awesome hosts.

Watching this all unfold has been a great way to kick off the summer! Thanks all for the insight and an occassional glimpse behind the scenes. And kudos to all the riders -- those who finished, and especially those who tried!

I made it to the finish around 7:20 this morning. Missed most of the arrivals but got to see a few. I had a great time wandering the parking lot and marveling over all the bikes.

Left around 10:00 when I got notice that my top case was delivered.

Congrats to all the finishers, quite an accomplishment!

I might head back over this afternoon to chat with anyone who may be hanging around.

I thought the click stopped when sidestand was down, do they need to run in to avoid being time barred? Anyone seen Bob Rippy?

For those following Phil Weston from the UK (I know there's one or two over here) here is what he dropped onto the FZ1 forum a little bit ago.

I'm back. Not had chance to read everything.Experienced. 106 deg f in Desert nr Tucson. Filtering from most of the way from San Francisco to LA. Lady with phone on ear decided to come in my space as did a truck and another car. It seems after several days on the bike I always see these coming.

65 deg F this morning in thunder storm and floods around Washington in the dark. Followed Ken Meese for several hundred miles in Canada on the first leg. Saw Kennedy's car, took a ferry ride, rode 24 miles of causeway across to see to New Orleans, sat in the Titan missile launch seat. Saw the biggest steam engine ever built, AMA to take a pic of a BMW that wasn't on display, etc.

I didn't loose any points through scoring on any leg , a lot of riders do for not following the bonus instructions to the letter. I rode the last leg the same as the 1st two so should have done ok. The points get higher each leg as mistakes are easier to make.

I was going to thank the Staff and regulars of FJRForum, for once again hosting this event.

However, I saw the picture of George Zelenz, and that is an image not easily dismissed :D

Thanks anyway guys, it's been great!

Jasen thanks for aggregating the spot captures.

and thanks again to all here, I can't believe it's over already. Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.