2014 Stumble on accel.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This video describes the troubleshooting of the throttle by wire system...At the 2:40 mark of the video you can see the tech opening the throttle valves with the linkage from the throttle grip/cable assembly. Also at the 4:38 mark you can see how the servo motor can move the linkage between the throttle valves and throttle cable assembly...As the cruise control operates does it turn the grip?...
As the tech in the video says, other systems may be different. The FJR is different, there is no method to rotate the throttle plates manually, there is no mechanical connection between the throttle grip and the throttle plates.

The AVCC (now Murph's Kit) is a servo system, when it pulls on the throttle pulley the grip rotates with it. With the fly-by-wire system there is no mechanical connection so the throttle grip does not turn.

TownsendsFJR1300 sez:

A bunch of extra electrical stuff, STILL WITH CABLES, that really does nothing but add to the complexity of the system..
Since the spring/pulley setup is essentially the same as all other years it keeps the throttle tube actuation feel the same.

Last edited by a moderator:
...Since the spring/pulley setup is essentially the same as all other years it keeps the throttle tube actuation feel the same.
... except for being much lighter to operate. You've never heard of a Gen 3 rider wanting to unwind a spring B) .

This is the pulley on the right end of the throttle bodies. The red arrow points to the Grip Cancel switch and the yellow arrow points to the CCT. The Accelerator Sensor is just behind the left spring on the pulley assembly.

i-cPjnk2T-XL.jpg

I hope the OP gets the dealer to do something positive for him. At this point the OP probably knows more about his throttle body system than the dealer does. At least until the dealer changes the whole assembly, a job I *would not* want to do.

... I don't know if it's actually turning the grip too but it may be. As the cruise control operates does it turn the grip? ....
No, the throttle is not turned by the CC, it will remain in the closed position unless the rider turns it.

It's a small consolation, but a consolation nonetheless. They figured out way back at the diagnostic tool stage that I knew more than I was supposed to about how this worked. As surprised as everyone else at the problems with CS, the records that never match up re: when the dealer contacted the tech line and what the outcome was. Every Yamaha rep I speak with reads a little bit of file history back to me to show me they're conversant with my case, and it's never the same twice. Part availability, I suppose, is the real surprise. With help from ion and the rest of the forum, we broke through the initial problems. Yesterday, speaking with a gentleman on the west coast, I kept getting what Yamaha will do or won't do, and what they can do and can't do. I politely pointed out that I've logged 4 hours in the last week covering wills and wont's, cans and don't's with various Yamaha representatives, but have they called a single dealer, checked online with a single parts wholesaler, to see if the parts in question reside somewhere beside just waiting for the next production run in October, as they've said they'd do. They guy said you're right, I'll get on it. We will see. I pointed out that they're treating the issue like some guy is begging for a part to be covered 2 months past the warranty, or trying to get a problem caused by owner neglect covered. Told him this is not a typical case, down time wise, there is no question as to responsibility, and they should not treat it like a typical case. As I've said often, we shall see.

On a related note, I've had obscure, ghost-like problems diagnosed from afar on BMWMOA more than once. But this place beats anything I've ever seen regarding specificity and depth of technical information. And good conversation....

This is the pulley on the right end of the throttle bodies. The red arrow points to the Grip Cancel switch and the yellow arrow points to the TPS. The Accelerator Sensor is just behind the left spring on the pulley assembly.
i-cPjnk2T-XL.jpg
This was a test, right?

The red arrow is correct, but the yellow arrow is pointing at the CCT, (not the TPS). (The TPS is on the left end of the throttle bodies where it always has been)

What did I win?
laugh.png

^^^^ Bit by Post Haste again. I was hustling to post and then go run an errand, obviously the cognitive department had already left. Post corrected.

BTW, the TPS on my FJR was on the right end of the throttle bodies (throttle body #4), where it as always been. Except for the short time in which it wasn't there at all because I had removed it to replace it.

Yeah, yeah... semantics. I meant that it has always been at the end of the throttle bodies. Used to be on the right end (near where the accelerator sensor is now), but now it is at the left end of the throttle bodies, on the same throttle linkage shaft.

Yeah... yeah... that's the ticket!

Ionbeam and Fred W were doing great until we discovered that ionbeam was using metric units and Fred W made an addition error at the beginning of the equation.

NASA+scientists+with+their+board+of+calculations,+1961.2.jpg

^^^Clearly off-topic. I believe the above discussion has something to do with escape velocity in a turn.

;)

Pawn stars- after getting zero results from my many hours talking to Yamaha reps in my region, (including one that said crazy stuff and was not supposed to be talking to customers), I successfully (if you can call it that) escalated my issue to the West coast. I can't call or reach them before 5pm. The gentleman I spoke with Friday told me today that they are no longer convinced that replacing everything up top will actually fix the bike, and that a Yamaha Corporation roving tech has been requested to travel to the dealership and work on the bike to determine how to fix it most expediently. I'm kind of punch drunk, like Ben Stiller in Something About Mary when he's in the interrogation room. But it sounds like it's no longer being treated like a typical case. Call back promised by COB Wednesday. Cautiously optimistic. I reiterated that I can't find a case where this specific symptom wasn't caused by throttle or accelerator position sensors. Ahem- we shall see.

Good luck Bill. I have nothing to offer that is any help in getting this issue fixed, but I am following it closely.

FWIW, I am sorry that your bike is down and that you are going through this. I am even more sorry over the prospect of you leaving us after this bike is fixed.

I think the poor treatment by customer service reps in Georgia did more to sour me than anything else. The folks that answer the phone there are fine, it's the next level that was problematic. (The front line folks are the ones that recognized my problematic treatment by those at the next level and gave me the cheat codes to escalate the case. The "next level" folks I'd been dealing with employed a time honored customer service technique to stifle my complaints: 1) Establish that there's only one person that can help, 2) establish that they are the only person you can deal with, 3) deny any access to the person identified in 1 and 2). I don't normally get full on negative and swell up in the face of adversity, but combine my bike going down with corporate apathy and it takes me to a place I don't normally go. (Okay, any time my bike is down, I'm halfway there already). I feel a little more optimistic with the folks I'm dealing with now. You guys have been very patient with my venting and negativity, and I appreciate it.

I was planning on having the bike reassembled today and trailering it back to my garage until parts were found. After hearing from the guy from yamamoto last night, I'm going to wait and see what date they think they'll have a mechanic on-site. Switching the game plan from replacing everything we can reach above the valves to sending a roving tech to the bike is an interesting development. I hope whoever they send wears cowboy boots and carries about him an air similar to that of Keitel's "Winston Wolf" from Pulp Fiction.

You are not crying and whining over some petty BS. You have a legitimate complaint and an interesting technical problem. That is a huge part of what this forum's primary function is supposed to be. As I interpret it anyway.

Although I do miss the odd Off Topic post every once in a while...

I am looking forward to a positive outcome and some folks getting educated in diagnosing issues and dealing with customers. I am obligated to defend the Yamaha employees who are involved in this. They have probably never dealt with an FJR problem before. To them this is like seeing BigFoot. It is not real.
smile.png

I didn't want to post this, because it is kind of off topic, but way back when I rode a BMW every day, and I was narrowing down what it would be replaced with, I had corresponded with some other riders over on BMW's site, particularly some who had experience with both BMW and FJR's. Since I no longer own my RT, and don't spend a lot of time on my airhead, I let my membership lapse there. On a whim, because I needed to know how best to reattach a name plate to the engine case on my airhead, I rejoined last week. In my BMW site in-box, guess who I found a never before seen PM from? It arrived right around the time I took the plunge and purchased my 2014.

It has been consistently rainy here for over a week (not Redfish-area rainy, but pretty rainy). I ride rain or shine, but it's not a terrible week to be in the truck. This thread has me very curious over what part actually went sprung. I think the chalkboard formula probably encompasses it, but I can't decipher that stuff.