2016 FJR1300A Check Engine Light On

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well just wasted 4 hours of my life I will never get back. Just rode to my dealer; which is an hour each way to reset my check engine light for a second time. We'll apparently this time around it would not reset and the light is still on. Hopefully Yamaha will find a fix for this soon.

Well just wasted 4 hours of my life I will never get back. Just rode to my dealer; which is an hour each way to reset my check engine light for a second time. We'll apparently this time around it would not reset and the light is still on. Hopefully Yamaha will find a fix for this soon.
...does your CC and ES work?

Mine wouldn't reset either, so my dealership told Yamaha they wanted a replacement ECU, and Yamaha sent it.. Been CEL free since.. Not sure why everyone is waiting for a fix when they just sent a replacement?

I also have the CEL issue(2016ES). It was triggered by the key not being all the way to "on". I was going through startup at a store. Was in a hurry running errands after work. It usually starts by breathing on the starter - but cranked for a second and wouldn't start. I cranked again for a second and still nothing. Cranked for a third time and nothing. Went to check everything before trying again and although the display came on before and ran through the checks I noticed they key was not lined up on "ON'. Reset the key and turned to "ON" again. Fired right up.... then CEL stayed on.

Not sure if the kick stand faults have anything to do with it. Anyone have any further news on any firmware upgrades? I will be talking further with my Yamaha mechanic when I get my bike back. Waiting for a panel replacement as one was marred in shipment and they are replacing that at the same time as resetting my ECU.

Last edited by a moderator:
Check out post #67 in this thread. I've had basically the same thing as you happen to me four times. Hasn't happened since that post. The P1601 side stand code is apparently a separate issue the mama will also hopefully address, that code doesn't set the cel.

Check out post #67 in this thread. I've had basically the same thing as you happen to me four times. Hasn't happened since that post. The P1601 side stand code is apparently a separate issue the mama will also hopefully address, that code doesn't set the cel.
Yep, that's the one that caught my attention so I chimed in to record another case here of the ignition key syndrome. Thanks to everyone on this thread. By the time I got this to the dealer(the next day) I was already questioning my recall of the exact sequence of events until I read this thread.

cruise control works, but no ES Joe
That's the same thing mine did...but I know some of the folks said that their cruise did not work with the CEL on.
uhoh.gif

The ES on my bike hasn't worked ever, cel on or off either way. I'm waiting for mama to issue a service update for it.....

This has been a great thread! A lot of good info.

Since my cel was cleared 2K miles ago, I've had no return of the cel. I pay attention to the key and it's position and haven't triggered the sidestand safety function.

No other worries with my FJR. Been riding as much as possible.

I am yet another rider with the Check Engine Light on, and it's been on for 6 weeks now. I did some research, and some of this is repeats of other posts in this string, but I've got time on my hands, so...:

I called Yamaha Central in California. Spoke to a person in the 'technical' area. Yes, there is a problem, and they know about it. There are a couple of silly ways the CEL can come on: Key not being in just right and start, sidestand down and kill switch used, etc. Yamaha Japan is working on a software fix, and it has not happened yet. There will be a recall notice... eventually.

However, (and he was adamant) this is a warranty service issue. If the light comes on and there really isn't anything wrong - meaning, there really is no reason to 'check engine' - then any Yamaha service department can and should clear this for you. Under warranty. Free of charge. If there are any questions about this: Call Raymond. 800 962 7926 x17442.

I also spoke with a Yamaha shop and service rep I trust, at D & H in Cullman, AL, where I bought my '16. They tell me that there is a way to clear this check engine light, and it can be done at home. But... it has to do with holding your tongue in the left cheek, crossing your eyes, and pushing a number of buttons on the console is just exactly the right sequence. This next is strange, but I'm telling what I heard. IF they had had a '16 in the shop when I called, they would have gone over the sequence with me. But they didn't have one. It seems that, if they know the sequence, they could tell me.

I was told, it is a very careful sequence, and, if you do something wrong at one step you get into the ABS programming instead of the Check Engine, and you can really mess things up. However, and again, adamant: you do NOT have to have wires and connections and gas tank removals to do this: it can be done on the bike console.

Now...can one of you other guys that has a reputable dealership you have a good rapport with...find the 'careful sequence', and post pics of each step? You would have legions of adoring fans, I am sure!

I took my bike into Snake River Yamaha a little over a month ago while on a ride and they were having issues clearing my code. After an hour and 5 techs later trying to hit the same delete button they finally gave up and called Yamaha. Turns out you not only have to enter the VIN to get into the program, but also the date and mileage on the bike before the delete button in the software interface will work. Once they did that they were able to clear the CEL. You'd think the software would be smart enough to tell the tech what the missing data is??

I received my Dynojet OBDII interface cable today. I'll be hooking it up and trying my Bluetooth OBDII scanner on my bike tonight. Not sure I want to generate and error just to see if I can clear it though. :) If I feel up to it I'll do the old 'try and start the bike without the key in the full ON position', generate a CEL and then try and delete it....

I got tired of the Check Engine Light showing, and had nothing to do for a few days, so I rode my 2016 FJR1300ES from DFW to Cullman, AL (where I bought it) to get it taken care of.

(I really am not impressed with either of the two Yamaha shops near me.)

This turned into an adventure to share.

First, the folks at D&H Cycle wanted to help. The first thing they said they would try is to reset via pushing buttons on the console. When I got it there, they tried and ... it just did not work. Later in the process ... the mechanic was on the phone with Yamaha tech support in CA and was told that the console reset was available in '14 and '15, but deactivated on the '16 models. On purpose.

I love the guys at D&H, and they did great for me buying the bike, and I will give them kudos for working on the problem full time, this time. But...sigh. First, they got out the electronic black box and connected it to the bike, and to a notebook computer and started having problems. Installed the software from Yamaha and updates and set up connections, but it never connected. After about 3 hours, the first call to Tech Support discovered that - the software/black box does NOT work with a Windows XP notebook.

Bring out a Windows 7 laptop and try again. More screens showing, more highlighted options on the screen - but no connection. More Tech Support. Oh - this Windows 7 computer has never had all the latest updates to Windows installed, and - the black box needs the latest. Updates for a few hours, and give up for the night.

Next day, try again and still no connection. Another call to Tech Support, and they install some software that lets the guy in CA connect to the laptop and control it directly. Uninstall EVERYTHING - and reinstall only 1 set of programs.

And it connects. 7 hours of connection, and 2 minutes to clear the CEL.

Based on the error codes on the bike's electronics, this is what caused the problem: Engine running, sidestand down, hit the kill switch and leave the key on for more than 3 minutes. This seems to trigger something the bike thinks is an engine error. Solution: turn off the engine with the key.

Simple! All I have to do is counteract the 30 years of killing the engine with the kill switch, which, for better on worse, is what I have been doing on every bike I've ever had a kill switch on. Muscle memory is there!

I feel for the mechanic - he spent at least 5 hours on nothing but my bike, and I was not charged a cent. Definitely a 'warranty' problem. I even got a couple of cold sodas handed to me while I was waiting around.

And, the weather was just about as good as it could be for the whole trip.

Based on the error codes on the bike's electronics, this is what caused the problem: Engine running, sidestand down, hit the kill switch and leave the key on for more than 3 minutes. This seems to trigger something the bike thinks is an engine error. Solution: turn off the engine with the key.
Simple! All I have to do is counteract the 30 years of killing the engine with the kill switch, which, for better on worse, is what I have been doing on every bike I've ever had a kill switch on. Muscle memory is there!
Well, that <could> be what caused this but the P1601 side stand error can also be triggered by trying to start the bike with the key not quite in the ON position. It will turn over, but not start. When you do put the key in the full ON position you will have a CEL. I've generated that error numerous times now while testing my OBDII scanner on my 2016. https://koczarski.com/2016-yamaha-fjr1300es/dynojet-obdii-interface-cable

The good news is for $45 you can buy an adapter cable which you can plug into your bike and then use any OBDII scanner to read and clear the codes.

I'll try and see if I can generate the same error doing what you describe above. I've killed my bike using the sidestand countless times, but I've never tried leaving it in the ON position for 3 minutes after that.

IMG_20160919_164233.jpg

Tried, but couldn't produce a P1601 error killing the bike with the side stand and waiting 3 minutes. Did Yamaha USA tell the dealer this can cause the error or did the dealer come up with this theory? I've heard other dealers tell people this was the cause too. I'll try and call Jerold Hooper at D&H tomorrow and discuss what I've found out so far. I bought my bike from D&H too.

I <think> dealers are trying to come up an explanation of the error below. My theory is trying to start the bike with the key not fully ON causes the starter to turn, but there is no power to some other components causing the ECU to think the injector output has stopped. That's in the table below too.

P1601-error.jpg

My bike had the P1601 code logged literally dozens of times each of the 4 times I went in to get the cel reset done. It's apparently a bogus nuisance code unrelated to actually killing the engine with the side stand down while in gear because of the 4 cel events I had, the last 3 never had the side stand down once while in gear. The times when I had killed the engine before cel 1 with the side stand and bike was in gear, the cel was not set at that time. I've not had another cel event in close to 5k miles since making sure I snap the key to the on position. ymmv

Tried, but couldn't produce a P1601 error killing the bike with the side stand and waiting 3 minutes. Did Yamaha USA tell the dealer this can cause the error or did the dealer come up with this theory? I've heard other dealers tell people this was the cause too. I'll try and call Jerold Hooper at D&H tomorrow and discuss what I've found out so far. I bought my bike from D&H too.
I <think> dealers are trying to come up an explanation of the error below. My theory is trying to start the bike with the key not fully ON causes the starter to turn, but there is no power to some other components causing the ECU to think the injector output has stopped. That's in the table below too.

P1601-error.jpg

Adam,

Try keying the switch on deliberately slow, like 5 seconds slow, and I'll bet you'll see the cel come on. We did that at my dealer when resetting my last cel event and proved the theory on my bike at least.

I'd be curious to see if your cel, like mine, also does not come on when killing the engine using the side stand with the bike in gear.

Adam,Try keying the switch on deliberately slow, like 5 seconds slow, and I'll bet you'll see the cel come on. We did that at my dealer when resetting my last cel event and proved the theory on my bike at least.

I'd be curious to see if your cel, like mine, also does not come on when killing the engine using the side stand with the bike in gear.
I don't think any of my CELs have been triggered by the kick stand. I don't turn my bike off that way all the time, but fairly often.

I'll try the slow turn next time I'm in the garage.

Took mine the the dealer yesterday and had my CEL light cleared. P1601 was the code that it showed.My light came on because I accidentally turned the key about 98% of the way on ,then tried to start bike.All the dash lights were on before I tried to start it.I showed the dealer how to replicate the CEL.

Dealer thinks that how the switch assembly is made is the problem.