2016 Is Official 6-spd, Slipper, LEDs, Analog Tach, Price

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
FJR1300A $16,390

FJR1300ES $17,990

It's gonna cost to have that ES added to the base FJR, a pricey couple of letters.

Last edited by a moderator:
FJR1300A $16,390FJR1300ES $17,990

It's gonna cost to have that ES added to the base FJR, a pricey couple of letters.
I'm glad I am not a crazy about the blue as I was about the red. I don't think I could stomach the cost to upgrade again.
bad.gif

It remains to be seen what Yamaha has done to the ES besides the A/ES 6 speed transmission. Who knows, maybe they have fiddled with more than the transmission and there is the (dream) possibility they have remapped the fuel injection and spark timing to wring out a few extra HP. Plus, the '16 is rumored to have a OBD II port which probably would offer some code hacking opportunity. Heck, it could even have a 800W stator
wink.png

This ain't gonna help in the leftover department.
no2.gif
Mebby there will be some good deals on leftover '15s and super left over deals next March when the '16 ES are still lounging on the showroom floor.

Now the next deep rooted angst tree sprouts -- when will the dealers start taking deliveries of the '16? My local dealer says she doesn't expect the new bikes until possibly as late as the end of March. And, they will still be rerun Blue.

I'm starting to think I might hang on to my pretty black bike for awhile longer and wait to see what the leftover situation looks like for the pretty blue bike...

There are plenty of 2015 leftovers...but with the increase in the price of the 2016, the deals on the 2015's may not be that great.

Adjusted for inflation the '16ES is $754 more than the '14ES. Are the 6 speed, slipper clutch, and other niceties worth the $750 inflation-adjusted premium? I guess we'll see in the coming days and weeks.

The regular ABS version is up as well even adjusted for inflation ($386), but still a better value compared to a 2005, 2010, and 2011 adjusted for inflation. This average year model price is still less than $100 change (downward incidentally) since 2004...again adjusted for inflation.

Adjusted for inflation the '16ES is $754 more than the '14ES. Are the 6 speed, slipper clutch, and other niceties worth the $750 inflation-adjusted premium? I guess we'll see in the coming days and weeks.
The regular ABS version is up as well even adjusted for inflation ($386), but still a better value compared to a 2005, 2010, and 2011 adjusted for inflation. This model price is still less than $100 change since 2004...again adjusted for inflation.
Thanks...that makes me feel better.
thumbsup.gif
Now to get that thing ordered
yes.gif

The price increase (adj for inflation) is not unrealistic given the engineering and retooling that is spread to a relatively few bikes. Yamaha still updates the FJR--kudos!

Contrast this to Honda and the ST1300. The 2012 ST1300 is still available in the US, with a MSRP of $18230. That is for a bike that is essentially unchanged** since it's introduction in 2003 in the US (2002 in the EU).

**I know there have been a few minor changes; no need to list them. But my point is that Honda hasn't listened to their customers and there's been no changes to improve the bike to address buyer needs/requests. Unlike Yamaha.

That's about a grand more than I had figured...Bastards!
I had estimated $17,707 based on the Canadian increase.
sad.png
I was pretty close on the base model. $16,341 versus $16,390.

Based on my research the dealer cost should be about $15,211 on the ES. The 3% of MSRP hold back for the dealer is $540. That's what they get at the end of the year, or their profit if they sell at cost. I'm guessing D&H will be selling them for about $15,900. That's an immediate profit of $739 + the holdback = $1,189 total profit. Dealers selling at MSRP get about $3,229. I'll give them a call and report back.....

The price increase (adj for inflation) is not unrealistic given the engineering and retooling that is spread to a relatively few bikes. Yamaha still updates the FJR--kudos!
Contrast this to Honda and the ST1300. The 2012 ST1300 is still available in the US, with a MSRP of $18230. That is for a bike that is essentially unchanged** since it's introduction in 2003 in the US (2002 in the EU).

**I know there have been a few minor changes; no need to list them. But my point is that Honda hasn't listened to their customers and there's been no changes to improve the bike to address buyer needs/requests. Unlike Yamaha.
You could not have said it better. Gave away my '03 ST1300 w 121kmi in early '14 for $3500. It was in excellent condition. ST1300s are hard to sell, as their followers have been abandoned over the years. Switching to a '14 FJR ES was one of the best decisions I ever made. Will update (probably to a new FJR) in 2-3 years. Can't wait to see what Yamaha will have cooked up by then!

Norm Kern

The regular ABS version is up as well even adjusted for inflation ($386), but still a better value compared to a 2005, 2010, and 2011 adjusted for inflation. This average year model price is still less than $100 change (downward incidentally) since 2004...again adjusted for inflation.
A chart for price of the ABS model over time. The 2016 fits very close to the trend line!

2016-02-16_11-55-17.jpg

I didn't include the ES model as we only have 3 years of experience...not exactly an informative trend.

sad.png

Based on my research the dealer cost should be about $15,211 on the ES. The 3% of MSRP hold back for the dealer is $540. That's what they get at the end of the year, or their profit if they sell at cost. I'm guessing D&H will be selling them for about $15,900. That's an immediate profit of $739 + the holdback = $1,189 total profit. Dealers selling at MSRP get about $3,229. I'll give them a call and report back.....
I already told my dealer he has to be at MSRP, out the door, for me to order. We'll see what happens

sad.png

I was $49 off. D&H is selling the ES for $15,999. I had a typo in my message above. My spreadsheet was estimating $15,950.
smile.png

And that's their out-the-door price. Includes shipping and assembly. So if you fly and buy it's just that price plus your local tax and licensing. Here in Seattle that's 9.5% tax, $1,519.91 + $125+- for licensing. Total = $17,643.91

where are you guys getting the numbers for D and H already ? phone call? I know my dealer up here is not going to go no where near that price. Might be worth the trip.

A chart for price of the ABS model over time. The 2016 fits very close to the trend line!

2016-02-16_11-55-17.jpg

I didn't include the ES model as we only have 3 years of experience...not exactly an informative trend.
Iggy, I see you did not plot in the 2003 MSRP, which I recollect was $11,499. Very interesting chart.

where are you guys getting the numbers for D and H already ? phone call? I know my dealer up here is not going to go no where near that price. Might be worth the trip.
1 877 392-6242 Ask for Gerald. Tell him Adam sent you. :)