2016 Is Official 6-spd, Slipper, LEDs, Analog Tach, Price

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As great a motorcycle as the FJR is, I have never considered it as a capable drag racing bike. The fact that it does so well on the track is simply amazing to me. After all, it is an almost 700lb sport-touring bike.

Every damn year.Now it has finally arrived! Paradise has arrived for the 6th gear wanters.

I'm hoping that the 16s are as well done as the other FJRs...I'm sure Joe will love his.

I know some don't, but I love that Cobalt Blue color.
I'm sure I will, Mark. I've never had my FJR on a drag strip...it ain't a drag bike. I really don't think that the six speed will ruin the bike that we all love. I'll let you all know how it works out for me...once I get mine.

Last edited by a moderator:
As great a motorcycle as the FJR is, I have never considered it as a capable drag racing bike. The fact that it does so well on the track is simply amazing to me. After all, it is an almost 700lb sport-touring bike.
Yes, that is not the FJRs first role. Neither was my Impala SS a drag car, yet my 2 Tons of Fun could still hustle down the track pretty even with Mustang/Camaros.

The red car is my brother's Firebird with a High Performance crate engine losing yet again to my Impala <evil grin>

GREGAL4_zpsf08113f3.png

My FJR in line waiting to move up to the starting line. It's fully race prepped -- I took the bags off :)

NED1.jpg

Yes, that is not the FJRs first role. Neither was my Impala SS a drag car, yet my 2 Tons of Fun could still hustle down the track pretty even with Mustang/Camaros.

The red car is my brother's Firebird with a High Performance crate engine losing yet again to my Impala

[img=[URL="https://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d168/ionbeam/NED%204-06/GREGAL4_zpsf08113f3.png%5D"]https://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d168/ionbeam/NED%204-06/GREGAL4_zpsf08113f3.png][/URL]

My FJR in line waiting to move up to the starting line. It's fully race prepped -- I took the bags off :)

[img=[URL="https://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d168/ionbeam/FJR%20Travels/NED1.jpg%5D"]https://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d168/ionbeam/FJR%20Travels/NED1.jpg][/URL]
Nice.

How in the world were you able to get that bike down the drag strip with stock cans? I assumed you would have had a Holeshot exhaust on that baby, you know, to reduce weight and increase horsepower!

Can't wait to see Alan on his 14 or 16 in front of the tree!

Alan had an Impala SS?? Now I'm even more impressed!! One of my first cop cars was a Caprice with the LT1. It was fast, but burned through transmissions about once per year. It also didn't handle like the Impalas because it had less rubber. Still, fun from 0 to about 130. It was way faster than the piece of shit 5.0 Mustang LX I had afterwards.

Cool cars, but if I could find a Buick Grand National in good shape, for a reasonable price, I'd put it in my driveway. I had a buddy at Baylor that had one. That car was stupid fast.

Yes, that is not the FJRs first role. Neither was my Impala SS a drag car, yet my 2 Tons of Fun could still hustle down the track pretty even with Mustang/Camaros. The red car is my brother's Firebird with a High Performance crate engine losing yet again to my Impala [img=]https://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d168/ionbeam/NED 4-06/GREGAL4_zpsf08113f3.png] My FJR in line waiting to move up to the starting line. It's fully race prepped -- I took the bags off :) [img=]https://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d168/ionbeam/FJR Travels/NED1.jpg]
Nice.How in the world were you able to get that bike down the drag strip with stock cans? I assumed you would have had a Holeshot exhaust on that baby, you know, to reduce weight and increase horsepower!Can't wait to see Alan on his 14 or 16 in front of the tree!
I read that post and started thinking, "Crap, another guy that has the misconception that open pipes actually help these bikes when the opposite is true." Then I looked up and realized it was Wheaton...Go figure!

Cool cars, but if I could find a Buick Grand National in good shape, for a reasonable price, I'd put it in my driveway. I had a buddy at Baylor that had one. That car was stupid fast.
Oh Hell yeah! I have wanted to own a Buick Grand National (or better yet a GNX) since 1987. Nothing like kicking Corvette ass with 5 adults seated comfortably back in the day! :)

ionbeam posted: Yes, that is not the FJRs first role. Neither was my Impala SS a drag car, yet my 2 Tons of Fun could still hustle down the track pretty even with Mustang/Camaros. <snipped>
I lived in Boston for two years, and immediately felt a kinship to New Hampshire folks; a kinship I never felt for Bostonians. Why? New Hampshire folks are rednecks just like Georgia folks. Want proof? NASCAR, guns, drag racing, Laconia bike events, ATVs, liquor stores at the state welcome centers, and even -- to some degree -- clothing choices. (Carhartt sound familiar to you?)

Live Free or Die, y'all.

My on-topic contribution: Would really like to see the color when the 2016's arrive. Post up your pictures!

I might of missed the discussion on this but the Yamaha Canada site mentions "a new rear tail section ".

Has anyone seen the new one at any of the shows yet.

I am holding off on a rack until I see what they have done.

Maybe a sub frame update, one can hope.

Chris

I might of missed the discussion on this but the Yamaha Canada site mentions "a new rear tail section ".Has anyone seen the new one at any of the shows yet.

Chris
The three bolt pattern has not changed...the tail light, and license plate light have changed. I just purchased a Givi V47 trunk and SR357 rack, for my 2016...whenever I get it. I did take a good look at the 2016 at the bike show in Cleveland, a couple weeks ago. Also if you look at the Yamaha accessory section, you will see that the trunk mounting plate is the same part number as in years past.

https://www.shopyamaha.com/product/details/rear-trunk-attachment-kit?b=Street+Motorcycle&d=28|28&f=2016|195&dealernumber=

My on-topic contribution: Would really like to see the color when the 2016's arrive.
I saw it @ the Minneapolis IMS last weekend.

It's BLUE!

BTW, the clutch pull was definitely softer.

I might of missed the discussion on this but the Yamaha Canada site mentions "a new rear tail section ".Has anyone seen the new one at any of the shows yet.

Chris
The three bolt pattern has not changed...the tail light, and license plate light have changed. I just purchased a Givi V47 trunk and SR357 rack, for my 2016...whenever I get it. I did take a good look at the 2016 at the bike show in Cleveland, a couple weeks ago. Also if you look at the Yamaha accessory section, you will see that the trunk mounting plate is the same part number as in years past.

https://www.shopyamaha.com/product/details/rear-trunk-attachment-kit?b=Street+Motorcycle&d=28|28&f=2016|195&dealernumber=
Thanks,

I'll go ahead an place by order for the SR357.

Chris

Glad they are just making refinements to an already great bike. I hope they don't try to do a one up on the Concours or BMW 1600. The 1300 has plenty of power and is a proven power plant. Making it bigger would just increase the weight. I could do without the 6 speed gear box, but that wouldn't stop me from getting one. Nice job Yamaha!!

Ok...WTF? it's the 16th of February...do we have to wait for the feckers on the west coast to wake up, before Yamaha releases the prices of the FJR?...Come on already!!!