26 Motorcycles Crash on I-5

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SockMonkey

Makin' Some Noise
Reaction score
This happened earlier today approximately 10 miles from my house: 26 Motorcycles Crash on I-5

A group ride that went terribly, terribly wrong. It just goes to show that truth really is stranger than fiction. (And yes, I do feel bad about laughing... :rolleyes: )

Too bad about the Brothers...

On the Brother Speed website, it's self-described as "a club that is serious about brotherhood, respect, riding fast and building Choppers." The Portland chapter was chartered in 1970.

It's always sad to hear about a rider going down. Maybe this will be a wake-up to the club running in their tight groups without much regard to their surroundings and traffic conditions.

--G

I am amazed. Maybe the group should be called Brother Crash now? But I am not smiling. Hate to hear of any bikers hurt, even stupid ones.

EDIT: From the Brother Speed website: Dozens of bikes, many chopped and likely not very maneuverable, side by side going down the highway....

https://www.brotherspeedmcoregon.com/conten...rs-speed-videos

Last edited by a moderator:
I've got a donut that says they were riding in formation.

Sorry to hear about any bikes going down tho.

Darn!

Never good for any lay-down, but 24 at one time...pray they are all well and recover.

One has to wonder how do 24+ bikes go down?

2 second spacing rule not in effect?

facepalm.jpg

"Therefore, send not to know for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee."

Donne

Terrible news for many of our fellow bikers.

We are all on two wheels and should leave the gloating to the 4+ wheel set, especially considering how many of us have gone down on group rides this year.

I definitely still feel that there's safety in numbers, and a group ride definitely helps visibility. In all the group rides I've gone on (with Southern Cruisers, and just a few that I get a few friends together and we ride somewhere) we stress safety. Proper following distance, staggered formation unless it's a tight road in which we go single file, etc.

BUT, you have to have faith that those lead bikes are riding correctly. Otherwise you get a 26 bike domino effect.

I know that with certain riders I just will not ALLOW them to ride in the lead spot because they are too reckless and don't know their limits, or if they insist on riding lead, I leave a HUGE space cushion.

Alexi

I'm not laughing at fellow motorcyclist's misfortune, but I'm truly dismayed by the stupidity in riding bikes in tight formation!

I got my first Harley-Davidson in September of 1970 when I rotated Stateside while in the US Army and I have owned at least one HD or more, as well as at least one BMW or more, ever since then. There were two HD's in my garage up until a few years ago when I sold my Sportster 1200 and just kept my Big Twin 88. I also joined Harley Owners Group in the year it was formed, I am a Lifetime Member and still a dues paying member of the Mesa, Arizona HOG Chapter - Chester's H-D.

But this standard practice of HD riders going down the road in a side by side tight formation, only 3' apart and with only a 6' separation, is the dumbest motorcycling move on the face of the planet. Due to this, I only go on two group rides a year with my local HOG Chapter; both supporting local charities. You can talk to a HOG Ride Captain but they don't change this!

https://www.katu.com/news/local/59789107.ht...deo=YHI&t=a Overhead video shows down bikes-explains it-way too close!!

Being the group they are and the amount of bikes involved, it wouldn't surprise me if a car was involved at the start of that mess. Lately the traffic has been getting very heavy in the afternoons in that location. Someone could have slammed on their brakes just in front of them or turn into the group to avoid a situation in their lane. Or someone doesn't like outlaw biker types. Knowing the kind of helmets and gloves those guys wear, I'd bet they are more than sore today.

Bill

My apologies to you kumbaya-fellow-biker types, but I do not consider members of the Brother Speed "fellow bikers" or "fellow motorcyclists". Not in my book. Just because they're riding on 2 wheels does not make them fellow anything. The Brother Speed is an outlaw biker gang comprised of people that I wouldn't want to live next to, invite over for a beer, or introduce to my children. These are people that generally live on the edge (or well outside of) of what would be considered lawful behavior. (Ask FJR_pig to qualify this statement.) To say that these are fellow motorcyclists would be to say that an armed robber is a fellow gun enthusiast.