905 Crash Bars

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Those things look bomber! Somebody set up a GB!
I'm in if it's done...or I can try to do one, I guess

can't speak Dutch, but I can only afford homemade wood shoes these days
ready to send below message to Bike Design Benelux team.

any comment, advice, suggestions, gripes ???

re: Nr: CPYA-015A-Z

Quite a few of my fellow Yamaha FJR1300 owners on our www.fjrforum.com forum are interested in purchasing the above rear sliders kit. We wonder if you would be interested in offering a volume discount if a certain number of us purchase this product during a certain length of time you would set. We would be interested in the US$ amount of a single purchase and what the price break(s) would be for certain number of purchases and when the purchases would have to be made.

Also, there are two generations of FJR's

Gen I are 2003-2005

Gen II are 2006-2009

We would need to know that the product fits all these or just the Gen II's.

Thank you in advance for your kind consideration.

Mike

Michael H. Oliver

Metairie, Louisiana USA

suburb of New Orleans

mholiver at cox dot net or mholiver at patriotguard dot org
here is the conversation with Belgium Bike Design from latest to earliest emails this morning:

What's ya'll's impression now ???

Hi Mike

The CPYA015 front or rear works only on the 2001-2005 models and the CPYA019 front or rear is for 2006 and later models.

What we understand with group purchase is 1 shipment with a minimum of 5 sets to one address . shipping to the us costs 26 euro up to 5kg and 52euro for 10kg , this would mean we have to give 30% discount if we pay the shipping per customer.

We’ve inquiry in the past from organizations wanting to order 10 or 20 items ending up with 1 order on which we give away or profit.

If we can agree on 1 shipment with 5 or more sets we send free of charge , if people want to order separately they should do it trough our website and pay for the shipping.

For the amount in US $ I think the $ is about 1.30 to the € . So they would cost about 100$

Kind regards

Jerry

* [email protected]

ü www.bike-design.com

ü www.crashprotectors.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Van: Mike Oliver [mailto:[email protected]]

Verzonden: donderdag 14 mei 2009 16:11

Aan: JERRY D'HONDT

Onderwerp: FJR 1300 group buy CPYA-015A-Z -> Re: bike design benelux - website question

Yes, I believe there are at least 5 people who are members looking to purchase. Maybe more.

I'm guessing that we can make the purchase according to your instructions, you will send a paypal bill to the buyer, and they will pay it. Then you will ship the merchandise within a sort period of time. The 5 people are individual buyers who need the product shipped to each of their individual addresses in the USA or Canada. I don't know if any of our few international members would want to make a purchase, though.

So, in the past, when we do a group buy, each person makes their own order after committment to so many to get the discount, or in this case, free shipping. Usually, we are given a discount code to enter into the web sight purchase check out which does the math. Maybe you can make up a code and enter it into your system ( like "FJR1300 FORUM") and it would discount whatever you believe the shipping cost would be. You can hold the orders from processing or shipping until the 5th one is done, and then process and ship. Then you can, for how ever long you wish letting us know, let the buy go for a period of time while others order using the same procedure. The discount code would expire at some point. Just let us know.

Please let me know the total price in US$ for the purchase at the current exchange - doesn't have to be exact or match the actual price on the day of purchase as I know or think the exchange rates change daily. But it would be close to today's exchange rate, I would think.

I also need to verify the product will work on both 2003-2005 Generation 1 FJR1300's as well as the current 2006-2009 Generation 2 FJR1300's.

Thank you again for responding, working with us, and for your kind consideration.

Mike

Michael H. Oliver

Metairie, Louisiana USA

suburb of New Orleans

----- Original Message -----

To: [email protected]

Sent: Thursday, May 14, 2009 8:51 AM

Subject: RE: bike design benelux - website question

Hi Mike

Thank you for your request on the crash protections . unfortunately there is no space for extra discount.

What we can do is ship free of charge form 5 sets on , this will save you some money .

For this we need to work trough paypal or you need to send your creditcard data because trough our website you automatically will be charged shipping

Kind regards

Jerry

Anyone drop tested them yet? I think those are far more attractive than the 905 rear bars, but I'm a tad concerned about bendage in a hard drop. Maybe they are more stout than they look in the pics.

I do not see those saving my bags in my get off, where-as I'm sure the 905 bars would have.

Just my $.02
hellcreep, paging Mr. Hellcreep to the white courtesy phone...

he crashed his FJR at SFO enough to bend the front crash bar from the group buy

no damage to any of the paint on the bike that I could see including the attached bags with the goth paintjob all around

post #90 here before crash bars, but with rear long sliders

hellcreep is gonna post some pics with crash bars soon enough
No, I thought he had 905 bars on when he crashed. I have crash tested those myself. Did he have these slider/peg things? If so I was mistaken.

-MD

Anyone drop tested them yet? I think those are far more attractive than the 905 rear bars, but I'm a tad concerned about bendage in a hard drop. Maybe they are more stout than they look in the pics.

I do not see those saving my bags in my get off, where-as I'm sure the 905 bars would have.

Just my $.02
hellcreep, paging Mr. Hellcreep to the white courtesy phone...

he crashed his FJR at SFO enough to bend the front crash bar from the group buy

no damage to any of the paint on the bike that I could see including the attached bags with the goth paintjob all around

post #90 here before crash bars, but with rear long sliders

hellcreep is gonna post some pics with crash bars soon enough
No, I thought he had 905 bars on when he crashed. I have crash tested those myself. Did he have these slider/peg things? If so I was mistaken.

-MD
OK, got it

he had the 905 front bars on

with the slider/peg thingys on the rear from Belgium

Sounds like we can get the sliders at list price plus free shipping.

What about Customs tarriffs? About doubled the cost going the other way from the U.S. to Great Britan (Aerostitch pads)

I'm in if we can work this out.

Patriot's picture does not show the type of bar he had on the day he wrecked. Hellcreep had crash BARS on the front....3 point bars.

A slider as discussed on the back.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Van: Mike Oliver

Verzonden: donderdag 14 mei 2009 16:11

Aan: JERRY D'HONDT

Onderwerp: FJR 1300 group buy CPYA-015A-Z -> Re: bike design benelux - website question

Yes, I believe there are at least 5 people who are members looking to purchase. Maybe more.

I'm guessing that we can make the purchase according to your instructions, you will send a paypal bill to the buyer, and they will pay it. Then you will ship the merchandise within a sort period of time. The 5 people are individual buyers who need the product shipped to each of their individual addresses in the USA or Canada. I don't know if any of our few international members would want to make a purchase, though.

So, in the past, when we do a group buy, each person makes their own order after committment to so many to get the discount, or in this case, free shipping. Usually, we are given a discount code to enter into the web sight purchase check out which does the math. Maybe you can make up a code and enter it into your system ( like "FJR1300 FORUM") and it would discount whatever you believe the shipping cost would be. You can hold the orders from processing or shipping until the 5th one is done, and then process and ship. Then you can, for how ever long you wish letting us know, let the buy go for a period of time while others order using the same procedure. The discount code would expire at some point. Just let us know.

Please let me know the total price in US$ for the purchase at the current exchange - doesn't have to be exact or match the actual price on the day of purchase as I know or think the exchange rates change daily. But it would be close to today's exchange rate, I would think.

I also need to verify the product will work on both 2003-2005 Generation 1 FJR1300's as well as the current 2006-2009 Generation 2 FJR1300's.

Thank you again for responding, working with us, and for your kind consideration.

Mike

Michael H. Oliver

Metairie, Louisiana USA

suburb of New Orleans

----- Original Message -----

To: [email protected]

Sent: Thursday, May 14, 2009 8:51 AM

Subject: RE: bike design benelux - website question

Hi Mike

Thank you for your request on the crash protections . unfortunately there is no space for extra discount.

What we can do is ship free of charge form 5 sets on , this will save you some money .

For this we need to work trough paypal or you need to send your creditcard data because trough our website you automatically will be charged shipping

Kind regards

Jerry
Sounds like this group buy is not going to work, correct?

Last edited by a moderator:
I received the Bike-Design rear crash protectors P/N CPYA-015A-Z. The Gen I protectors look a LOT different from the photos earlier in this thread on a Gen II. Suposedly they mount in place of the bolt hanging the muffler. This places it interference with the hardbag. Also it does not protrude outward anywhere near enough to protect a bag even if you could get it on. These obviously were designed as protection with the bags off. Or they sent me something completely different, although the P/Ns matched. Oh well back to the drawing board.

I'm going to try and get a hold of Steffanie @ 905 and see what the status of the protectors for Gen I is. Paid for those a few months ago now. Toe, you heard anything?

I'm going to try and get a hold of Steffanie @ 905 and see what the status of the protectors for Gen I is. Paid for those a few months ago now. Toe, you heard anything?
I've been watching this thread hoping for some word on the Gen I bars.
In addition, to those that HAVE bars, has anyone tried mounting kuryakyn or other pegs or accessories? Helmet lock? Are these bars of a diameter where aftermarket accessories could be mounted? I'd be more interested if I knew I could throw some helmet locks on there, maybe highway pegs, and have the options to mount other stuff.

Alexi

In addition, to those that HAVE bars, has anyone tried mounting kuryakyn or other pegs or accessories? Helmet lock? Are these bars of a diameter where aftermarket accessories could be mounted? I'd be more interested if I knew I could throw some helmet locks on there, maybe highway pegs, and have the options to mount other stuff.

Alexi
See the thread with highway pegs on these:

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?showtopic=117833

Alexi
See the thread with highway pegs on these:

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?showtopic=117833
I did virtually the same with Kuryakyn pegs. I wish they weren't so Chrome and blingy.

But they work very, very well.

https://picasaweb.google.com/mdisher/HighwayPegsOnCrashbars#

IMG_0965.JPG

Thanks. Perfect. Now waiting for 905 to show the Gen I armor for sale on their website and see how that's being handled. I sent an email a month and a half ago with no response as of yet. So we'll see when they get around to making the Gen I protectors quickly/consistently as the Gen II. Once that happens, they'll have my $$$ and my girlfriend will receive yet ANOTHER box delivered to put in the "Alexi's Motorcycle Stuff" room.
Alexi

Thanks. Perfect. Now waiting for 905 to show the Gen I armor for sale on their website and see how that's being handled. I sent an email a month and a half ago with no response as of yet. So we'll see when they get around to making the Gen I protectors quickly/consistently as the Gen II. Once that happens, they'll have my $$ and my girlfriend will receive yet ANOTHER box delivered to put in the "Alexi's Motorcycle Stuff" room.
Alexi
I was told a couple weeks ago, that the jig was almost done. I know they have been traveling to some shows and races. They do a fair amount of off-road work, and I believe they race as well.

I would give them a call and remind them that there are folks like yourself that are waiting...

-MD

So, is the group by going to happen?
of the Belgium long sliders on the rear ???

I'm not interested in them per the recent description of the Gen I product

if ya interested in Gen II's and can get 4 more willing to pay the reg price and free shipping and ya willing to collect their money, receive 5 sets, and then ship the other 4 to their owners, go for it.

Ya have all the info you need and I'd be happy to help; in fact, I'd be happy to do it if ya'll send me money up front. But I'm not gonna purchase any for my Gen I. I'll wait for the 905 Crash Bars product when they are proven good to go and then decide about those.

BTW, I joined the drop club x 2 over the last while. Dropped the bike onto the left side in the grassy front yard of a buddy and no damage, but dug the sliders into the grass and the bike was flat as a pancake on it's side. Needed plenty of help extracting it from the ground and standing it up on wet grass.

Saturday, had my AIW (Angelic Italian Wifey) as pillion and pulled into Waffle House parking lot. Did a U turn and was heading for a shady spot with construction site next door. As I came round on the slow speed turn, I saw a piece of angle iron in my path and cut the turn tighter while draging the brake. Was a tight and tighter right turn and it went over ever so slowly on the right. AIW kinda stood up and so did I with the bike laying on it's R&G slider. I thought my air horn was toast. We got off and my riding buddy Brian came over and (thanx Brian who remembered to first put the side stand down) helped pick it up. Not damage except ego and we actually laughed about it all as Brian said it was a slow dance event.

The joke around here is I have the ugliest farkle on the forum and it's expendable. Glad not in a tip over event to the right.

3469318274_7c3cf1ea54.jpg

I was told a couple weeks ago, that the jig was almost done. I know they have been traveling to some shows and races. They do a fair amount of off-road work, and I believe they race as well.
I would give them a call and remind them that there are folks like yourself that are waiting...

-MD
Called, left message, will see what the story is whenever they call back. DEFINITELY hoping to get them done. I'm a crash bar and NOT a slider kinda guy. I'd like to go with 905 as they've proven themselves twice on this forum, but if not them, I'll find some custom fabricator SOMEWHERE that will get it done.
Alexi

Nothing yet. I'm trying to be a patient waiter, but maybe they're more into greasing the squeaky wheels. Let us know if you get hold of them or not. Try to mention that we want to stage a Gen I group buy, once the bars are ready. They might be motivated to build some they don't already have the money for yet.

In the meantime, I'll keep hoping they get here before I drop it. I've been missing a lot of low-speed skills practice, for lack of proper MPE (Motorcycle Protective Equipment)....

Quick note for those who ride their FJR aggressively. The front bars do hit the ground. Happened 3 times and I have since removed them. I was loaded for 3 day camping trips 2 of the 3 times.

They actually became a hazard to me when riding. When coming to a nice tight turn I found myself compensating more to avoid bottoming the bars, and braking/straightening up more than I liked and was comfortable with.

Don't get me wrong. I love the look of these bars, (well, the front anyway), and plan on keeping them. But they will need to be modified a little to handle my riding style. I might talk to 905 directly for this if I have the time to drop by in Sept. I would like to try to bring in the bars at the front lower points, allowing for more angle in the turns.

905 has done good trying to get all these bugs worked out. This is a new design to them so please be patient as these problems do arise with new designs. They truly do want you to be totally happy with their products.

Quick note for those who ride their FJR aggressively. The front bars do hit the ground. Happened 3 times and I have since removed them. I was loaded for 3 day camping trips 2 of the 3 times.
Pics?

Where did they touch? Were your peg feelers already scraping too?

Stock suspension?

I can't see any way these would ever touch unless you're already sliding down the road. Not saying it isn't possible but I just aint seeing it. ;)