All New Tom Tom Rider GPS

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spud

Reaction score
Came across this on their website...looks like an entirely new design.

https://www.americanmotorcyclist.com/news/15-01-15/TomTom_releases_all-new_TomTom_RIDER.aspx

https://www.tomtom.com/en_us/rider/index.jsp

Old-block5_480x320_WINGS_tcm137-64179.jpg

Old-block1_480x320_WINGS_tcm137-64175.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks interesting. I couldn't find anything on pricing, but Tom Tom is usually less expensive then Garmin.

I am reluctant to switch from Garmin but if they stay close to the $399.00 price of the current TomTom Rider I may be inticed to switch and replace my failing Garmin.

Well, if Garmin contines to pretend their units are dipped in gold, it wouldn't hurt my feelings to switch to something else. $899 for a GPS is stupid.
Couldn't agree more.

If Tom Tom would make their units play nicely with .gpx routing files, I'd be happy to change.

And Garmin has been at this pricing trick for a long time now. The original selling price for the venerable 2720 StreetPilot was $750

Garmin has never made anything that didn't require you to just plain on hand over your wallet...

If anyone here has owned a serious boat GPS then you know how bad it really is... The motorcycle is a small fish in the pond for Garmin...

Garmin has never made anything that didn't require you to just plain on hand over your wallet...
If anyone here has owned a serious boat GPS then you know how bad it really is... The motorcycle is a small fish in the pond for Garmin...
.True, but they do make excellent chartplotters, and the prices are not that far away from the competition from the likes of Lowrance

With the specific motorcycle gear you have Garmin, at $700 to 900 and Tom Tom at $400

Well, if Garmin contines to pretend their units are dipped in gold, it wouldn't hurt my feelings to switch to something else. $899 for a GPS is stupid.
Couldn't agree more.

If Tom Tom would make their units play nicely with .gpx routing files, I'd be happy to change.

And Garmin has been at this pricing trick for a long time now. The original selling price for the venerable 2720 StreetPilot was $750

Agree twigg... You get a great product but you certainly pay heavily for it..

Like grab your ankles pay....

Same as lowrance...

Their hardware definately portrays quality and are in it for the long haul.... Never owned a Garmin bike gps and am curious how they hold their customers in regards to support..

That to me is the end game in my participance with their product.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="bigjohnsd" data-cid="1211671" data-time="1424403473"><p>

Love my $349 TomTom Rider!</p></blockquote>

Plus one! No frills, no problems, priced right.

I have a Zumo. Seven years old and serves me well, but I imagine I'll need to update soon. Spousal Unit uses a refurbished Garmin that her sister got three years ago for under $100. She's used it regularly and just puts a zip lock bag over it in the rain. It's not as slick as a $900 new Garmin, but it points out to me that you can get the job done for a lot less money. I don't use most of the features of my Zumo other than rudimentary navigation.

John, a common criticism of the Tom Toms is that the map data base is not as good as the Garmin. Have you had issues with yours?

My experience with TomTom was not good. Wife bought me a Rider model a few years ago. I think it was $450-$500 back then. Unit had a really strong mount. Also liked some of the features, but not all of them. The big issue was that the a few days after the unit's one year warrany had expired, it would not turn on. It was apparently a bad switch or a shorted battey. I called TomTom customer service and they told me that since it was out of warranty, there was nothing they could do. I said, OK, well I am willing to pay for it to be repaired. She said you don't understand, we do not repair them if they break. I said...You mean to tell me that on a $500 GPS unit, you don't have any solution for customers after the one year warranty is up? She said that was correct and said she was sorry for the inconvenience. I searched the internet and couldn't find any vendor that worked on them.

I ordered a battery for it, the special small security torx tools to get it open, and changed out the battery. That was not the issue. Apparently it was the switch and that part was unavailable. So that $500 TomTom has been sitting in a box for the past several years.

So before all you boys throw Garmin, especially their customer service, under the bus...you might want to think twice and do your homework on TomToms warranty policy. Maybe they have changed now and it's better, but you won't catch me spending a dime on one of those units.

Thanks for that perspective, Joe. I'm not yet at the point of replacing my Garmin StreetPilot 2720, but the increasing inaccuracy of its 2009 maps has me following these GPS discussions to decide what will be next. I'm proficient with MapSource, so it' unfortunate that it involves both hardware and software changes. Customer service like that narrows my range of suitable hardware.