Altitude surging on 07 fix

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Count me in for the rally. I'll be the first to send mine airborne. I'll be calling tomorrow with the list of VIN#'s. It would look really good gesture at this point for Yamaha to contact the 07 owners that have helped to identify the issue.

Last edited by a moderator:
Count me in for the rally. I'll be the first to send mine airborne. I'll be calling tomorrow with the list of VIN#'s. It would look really good gesture at this point for Yamaha to contact the 07 owners that have helped to identify the issue.
Is this fix for all 07 FJR's or only those with a documented surging problem? Perhaps there are many of us that have not ridden under the circumstances and elevation to see if the problem exists or not. That does not mean that we never will, and if the problem in inherent in all '07s, I want the fix too.

Tony

Is this fix for all 07 FJR's or only those with a documented surging problem? Perhaps there are many of us that have not ridden under the circumstances and elevation to see if the problem exists or not. That does not mean that we never will, and if the problem in inherent in all '07s, I want the fix too.
Tony
This is a very good question. I wish I had thought of it while I was talking to Steve. I will call him and ask, if he hasn't quit already from the deluge.

Personal message sent..... with VIN and contact info for your list.

Tim

I got up this AM ready to call and....it's Saturday. Damn. Night shift has really messed up my week. Monday morning will have to do. Next week will be a better week.

To be more professional, I'm only going to report the VIN numbers and real names of the owners to Yamaha. I'm not going to report your bike if I don't have both. I will report the VIN range findings, but they already know about that from my dealer.

Also read this thread until now; too late to call until Monday, but will do just that first time in the morning.

Hey Truwrecks, if we're going to give this Steve guy our personal info, do you feel it'd be good to duplicate it with you? Who are you contacting? Somebody higher up? Just curious. Besides real name, you'll probably need addresses as well, or at least city and state, no? Let us know buddy. Sincerely hope this is for real this time. Have a great weekend gang.

JC

Also read this thread until now; too late to call until Monday, but will do just that first time in the morning.
Hey Truwrecks, if we're going to give this Steve guy our personal info, do you feel it'd be good to duplicate it with you? Who are you contacting? Somebody higher up? Just curious. Besides real name, you'll probably need addresses as well, or at least city and state, no? Let us know buddy. Sincerely hope this is for real this time. Have a great weekend gang.

JC

The last six of the VIN is all they really need. I'm giving the names to add validity to the report. I will be calling Cypress and escalating to Steve's boss' boss if possible. Not that I don't think that Steve is trying to help, but I know that his authority is limited in Yamaha. I'm doing it this route to help avoid the "internet hypochondria" attitude. It also shows a coordinated effort, rather than just an individual report.

Doug

Hey count me in for a celebratory steep location rally!

Thanks TruWrecks for all of your effort on dogging this issue!

I do a lot of two-up commuting on my 07 FJR which makes my 80-mile RT commute so much nicer but there's nothing like a mountain ride for pure joy.

Since a surging throttle and narrow steep mountain roads are sort of oxymoronic I can hardly wait to get it fixed and get back up to my local mountain roads. After all, I didn't buy this bike just for commuting.

Whelp, my insurance is paid up.. so my vote is still the lunch and cliff thing. :ph34r:

I do have the member names for 61 reported surgers. I have VIN information for 44 of those members. I will add the real names of the users to my spreadsheet if you want to send me a Private Message with it. I can use my spreadsheet as a "customer impact" survey and send it with the letter. We also have most of the information for a formal letter in the sticky for this section.

I have sent you a PM with my info. Do with it what you please. Bless you my good man...just bless you.

By the way, mine did it again on the Cherohala Skyway yesterday.

Just remember everybody...I'm selfish, so I'm doing this to get "MY" bike fixed. :D Everyone else is welcome to tag along though. :lol:

Just remember everybody...I'm selfish, so I'm doing this to get "MY" bike fixed. :D Everyone else is welcome to tag along though. :lol:
Just a side note.

I went to the dealer today because I buy (kawasaki 20-50 oil for my bike at 12 bucks a gallon) fight about that if you'd like.

But I told him again the situation. What people are having happen. He said......

"I sold this bike to a LAWYER in (blank) town,,, and he rides colorado a lot." I hope he asks him about it. And I think patience will pay off here.

I was there. at the dealer. A guy sitting in a chair was gettin a brand new replacement bike because yamaha could not solve his warranty issue.

I still think safety in numbers in on our side and I think Yamaha will fix it.

He is contacting Yamaha on my Behalf (so he said). And I think he will. I didn't even buy the bike there but I do buy Oil and filters etc. So?????

PM sent. Thanks for all your effort.

My local shop sells very few FJRs so they are not familiar with the bike but are willing to work with me. I talked with the service manager today. He said he would call tech support and make a formal report to see what they say. The service manger has always been a good guy so it will be interesting to see what they tell him. Should hear something on Tuesday.

Here's the letter I'm sending to Yamaha Monday. It will be in business format when I print it. I will also be calling Cypress before I go to FEDEX:

To Mr. Masato Adachi:

My name is Doug Truex. I have been an owner of several Yamaha motorcycles since 1985. I purchased a new 2007 FJR1300AW in March on this year. The FJR is an outstanding motorcycle. I was sold the first time I rode one.

I do, however, have a concern that troubles me greatly. I have been experiencing throttle response issues when I ride in the mountains around my home in Washington state. The throttle fails to respond to input until it is increased more than 20%. The fuel system then delivers all 20% at one moment. If I continue to hold steady throttle the FRJ will start an abrupt surging effect alternating between too little power and acceleration. There have been five incidents in which I have come very close to running off the road, or hitting another vehicle in the oncoming lane while riding in the mountains of California, Oregon and Washington. I have run off the road once because of the sudden acceleration on a wet road during a left hand corner on Highway 26 in Oregon. I was able to stop unharmed during that incident. The engine continues to run poorly after returning to the original altitude that my ride started at. Turning the bike off for a 1 or 2 minutes returns the engine to a proper running state.

I have contacted two different dealers (Adventure Motorsports in Monroe, WA and Lynwood Motoplex in Lynnwood, WA) to discuss my concerns more than three months ago. The Service Manager at Adventure Motorsports has ridden my FJR while it was experiencing an improper running state. They have tried to make adjustments and suggestions to help eliminate the improper state ,to no avail. The Service Manager at Lynnwood Motoplex suggested I ride the FJR like it is an R1. That is not only an inappropriate suggestion, it is extremely dangerous on wet or cold mountain roads. I have had this issue reported to me by 75 other owners with the last 6 numbers of the VIN in the range of 000133 to 003772 in the United States, and 004960 to 007721 in Europe. I have enclosed their information with this letter.

I have been informed by Adventure Motorsports that Yamaha Motor Corporation is working a solution for the altitude related concern. I have had another dealer that recently informed me Yamaha has no intention to correct the programming for the 2007 FJR. This deeply concerns me. I currently own a beautiful motorcycle that I can not enjoy where I most enjoy riding. It appears that this issue has been addressed for the 2008 FJR.

I would like to know what Yamaha has planned for the 2007 altitude issue. Not correcting the known affected motorcycles would not look honorable for Yamaha. I also think that contacting owners that have reported similar issues would be going the extra mile in the customers eyes. This would prove your intent to provide a great product and customer relations, you have stated “We must continue to produce excellent products, we must ensure our dealers are excellent in every aspect of how they deal with Yamaha’s customers and we must focus on maintaining the millions of loyal and satisfied customers that our company enjoys.”

Sincerely,

Doug Truex

2007 FJR Owner

Good letter, TruWrecks. Two suggestions: mention 1) NHTSA and the fact that many of the people on your list have also contacted them, 2) Most if not all of the people on the list have also gone to dealers and been treated like you were.

If you could work the phrase "tear you several giant new assholes" into it somewhere that would make me proud.

Good letter, TruWrecks. Two suggestions: mention 1) NHTSA and the fact that many of the people on your list have also contacted them, 2) Most if not all of the people on the list have also gone to dealers and been treated like you were.
If you could work the phrase "tear you several giant new assholes" into it somewhere that would make me proud.
I'm with Al... but I'd settle for a simple major enlargement of his current orifice.. :blink: