Altitude surging on 07 fix

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:clapping: I have spoken to the RTA at Yamaha and while there is not yet a fix,they are working on the problem it does not seem to afect all of the FJR's, also if you are having this problem you should contact your local dealer and have them report it to Yamaha so that when the fix is deemed ready for release they can contact you

:clapping: I have spoken to the RTA at Yamaha and while there is not yet a fix,they are working on the problem it does not seem to afect all of the FJR's, also if you are having this problem you should contact your local dealer and have them report it to Yamaha so that when the fix is deemed ready for release they can contact you
Maybe the reason all FJR's aren't affected is because some never leave sea-level? Hey, 1/2 the time mine hasn't had the altitude sickness. :glare:

They should (probably will) contact ALL bikes within the proper VIN range.

This is really good news if true.

For those of you whining that this is "too slow in coming" or "it was too difficult to get Yamaha to step up", please proceed to your local BMW dealer in who's belly you will learn the true meaning of suffering.

TRUST ME - If this fix comes this year it is to be praised as lightning fast and above and beyond by this manufacturer vs. most of the rest of the motorcycling world. Even Honda denied the frame issue on the GL1800 longer than this.

Here's a possibility for checking on a mid-production ECU change for '06 models that may have the running problems described for '07 models...my '06 FJR S/N ending 228 had CO settings of -10 +8 +8 +11 and ran very well...do any of you later '06 owners that have done the Barbarian Mod have the current '07 idle CO values of +5 +18 +18 +21?...If so, you may also have the latest ECU map as well as the troubles, but that's just a guess.
Gary in Fairbanks
the way it was explained to me is that each injector is different from the next due to mfgr tollerances. the CO settings will be different even though the ECU and other bits are from the same production run. these differences are to compensate for those variations within the tollerance range. we saw this in the 2003 models as all reported OEM CO settings were different from each other. hence the adoption of the "+7" terminology instead of using absolute numbers.

and i have to agree about response times. it took something like 2 or more years for honda to come up with their ECU swap for the GL1800.

Last edited by a moderator:
My 06 had the surge/stall issue last year on hwy. 36 out of Redbluff, Ca. Occured only the one time for about 6-8 seconds. On the way home from WFO-6 at elevation Sunday night near Grass Valley Ca., it surged again at 6-8 seconds. Both incidents were at altitude and both occured while applying throttle. My bike has a manufacture date of 03/06 S/N ending in 135 so I guess the bike is an early production number for 06. If so, the 06's would or should be included here. I am notifying my dealer as well. PM. <>< :unsure:

I posted this in another area but I thought I would add it here as a FYi. I have a 07 number 3772 with 2500 miles. I just got back from Colorado 30 minutes ago - I live in OKla. In Colorado I had at times slight to very severe surging on this four day trip. Any major change of altitude would cause it. The worst being this morning outside of Taos NM on NM518. It was in some road construction on the pass and it would hardly run due to it bucking and surging. Funny thing was that it was 42 degrees out and that with the altitude really made it bad. All my surging was above 5000 feet. It did it between Estes Park and the top of Rocky Mtn National park trail ridge road. At tree line on Independence pass, Going up Monarch pass and the road from Gunnision Co to Lake City and of course Wolf Creek. To me it seems that something is wrong either in the mapping in how it deals with altitude changes or a bad bunch of MAP sensors? Anyway, I plan to call my dealer tomorrow and have them contact Yamaha regarding getting it fixed. I know for sure they cannot make it do it here in Oklahoma unless they drop it out of a airplane. Anyway, my 2 cents worth, but one good thing about the surging is that it took my mind of that 2X4 they call a seat. Good grief!

From what I understand, the change was only made to 07 model ECU's but I don't know that for a fact. I suppose there could have been some 06's with the 07 type map, but I doubt it.
Yamaha REMOVED a sensor in the 2007 model year. The sensor that they removed took air pressure measurements while the bike was running. The remaining sensor ONLY checks when the engine first starts.

From what I understand, the change was only made to 07 model ECU's but I don't know that for a fact. I suppose there could have been some 06's with the 07 type map, but I doubt it.
Yamaha REMOVED a sensor in the 2007 model year. The sensor that they removed took air pressure measurements while the bike was running. The remaining sensor ONLY checks when the engine first starts.
Please see my comments and edits under this #7: https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?showtopic=23179

If I'm wrong in my reading of the '06 and now '07 Service Manual, please delete my post in that thread.

Gary in Fairbanks

Agree that if this fix comes soon, it's deserves a "well done".

I owned an st1300, and while it's an all around competent bike, the "high speed wobble" or "front wheel oscillation in dirty air" issue will never be fixed by Honda. They have been denying it for years. And even with the UK police taking all of the 1300's out of service, still denied.

If you don't ride very fast around semi's yer ok, but that's a limitation I couldn't live with. Hope to see this fix soon, makes me more impressed with yamma mama ;)

regards,

Great news for the 07 guys. What about us that have a 06's, that arenearly unridable in the twisties? This on/off throttle takes all the fun

out of riding this thing. Yes, the cable slack is removed, TBS done,

barb mod +7, G2 throttle tube installed, helped slightly. Ya buy a

PCIII right? WRONG. Unless Yamaha wants to buy me one.

Sorry for the hijack.

How many miles on your '06? Trade it for an '05, I bet you'd find some takers,

I'll chime in, if what I describe is what we are discussing, and if this is the correct place. If not someone steer me to the correct post.

I had 2 occurrences of some very weird ignition / FI activity on my 2007. I live an an area of PA that ranges from about 800' above sea level to around 2,500' My home and the immediate area is around 2,000', including the dealer about 30 miles away.

The first occurrence was a few miles from my house, very close to 2,000' above sea level. We were at a restaurant, just leaving the parking lot. I started to pull out fine, slipping the clutch and adding throttle. The bike felt fine for about 50 feet but suddenly as I let the clutch out a little more it would almost stall, then take off at full power and then almost stall again. The throttle was not in synch with what the engine was doing. The power would come on suddenly and then the bike would almost die - I did a wheelie for a moment but the bike almost stalled and saved me from going over backwards. THAT was scary! This was all in about 15 seconds. I rolled to a stop on the side of the highway, turned the key off, waited for a 10-count, then started it. Ran fine after that. That was at about 2,000 miles on the odometer, give or take 500 miles.

At the 4,000 mile maintenance checkup I mentioned it to the dealer but he didn't comment on it when I picked the bike up. He only mentioned one plug was very slightly fouled compared to the other 3 but nothing to get excited about.

The second time was in the Badlands in SD. We stopped at a pull-off to wait for friends to catch up. I stopped the engine. Friends passed by and we started out. Same weird surge / stall thing happened. I realized what it was and immediately pulled over, turned the key off, waited and then started the engine again. This was at around 5,700 miles on the odometer. Ran fine after that, all week long even on Needles Highway at over 6,400'. We travelled all over that area - Montana, Lead, Deadwood, Keystone, no problems. I have 9,000+ miles on it now, and that is the only 2 times I had that happen.

I have no engine mods, and have not checked the o2 readings. I have not noticed any mileage weirdness.

My VIN ends with 3523.

I posted this in another area but I thought I would add it here as a FYi. I have a 07 number 3772 with 2500 miles. I just got back from Colorado 30 minutes ago - I live in OKla. In Colorado I had at times slight to very severe surging on this four day trip. Any major change of altitude would cause it. The worst being this morning outside of Taos NM on NM518. It was in some road construction on the pass and it would hardly run due to it bucking and surging. Funny thing was that it was 42 degrees out and that with the altitude really made it bad. All my surging was above 5000 feet. It did it between Estes Park and the top of Rocky Mtn National park trail ridge road. At tree line on Independence pass, Going up Monarch pass and the road from Gunnision Co to Lake City and of course Wolf Creek. To me it seems that something is wrong either in the mapping in how it deals with altitude changes or a bad bunch of MAP sensors? Anyway, I plan to call my dealer tomorrow and have them contact Yamaha regarding getting it fixed. I know for sure they cannot make it do it here in Oklahoma unless they drop it out of a airplane. Anyway, my 2 cents worth, but one good thing about the surging is that it took my mind of that 2X4 they call a seat. Good grief!
RIs,

I just happen to have 3771! I bought it in NC. I guess they spread these bikes around a bit. I haven't taken them up to the mountains yet but I'm getting ready to next month. We'll see I suppose.

Herkypilot

Eureka Springs this past weekend... elevation unknown but mountainous. No surging. Used premium fuel during the visit. Hot, great weather and super riding.

Eureka Springs this past weekend... elevation unknown but mountainous. No surging. Used premium fuel during the visit. Hot, great weather and super riding.
I have heard of other models from Yamaha who also exibit the surge using premium fuel to help eleviate the problem with some good success. Has anyone else heard of this? I know this is not a cure but this is interesting as the talk pertaining to the possible problem being related to the leaning of the fuel mapping problems with the newer bikes. And in Califorina the fuel is worse than other states. And as mentioned this is not just a problem for the 2007, the 2006 models are having issues too. PM. <><

As soon as I'm done with my full synch (PITA), I'll take my bike to the mountains again, and will use premium. But if it gets better (hopefully), won't know if it was the fuel, the full synch job, stock CO numbers (rather than +5 the last time), or a combination. Will report my results here, but doubt those 3 changes will make a dramatic difference (would love to be wrong). Later.

JC

As soon as I'm done with my full synch (PITA), I'll take my bike to the mountains again, and will use premium. But if it gets better (hopefully), won't know if it was the fuel, the full synch job, stock CO numbers (rather than +5 the last time), or a combination. Will report my results here, but doubt those 3 changes will make a dramatic difference (would love to be wrong). Later.JC
There are pleanty of folks on here who run regular grade with no problems. This bike is designed to run on regular though I run mine on mid-grade but I just posted that up to maybe help those with the chronic problems until a real fix is included. Let us know JC how the experiment works and if it does this is more ammo to take to Yamaha and hope all of us who have this problem fixed. Take care, PM. <>< :D

I use premium (91-92) in FJR most of the time. I switched to mid grade (89 octane) to see if there was any difference. I get surging with either grade.