Altitude surging on 07 fix

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice doesn't always work. Often nice people get walked on and taken advantage of. I've done nice for the last 3 months, it hasn't worked. So, it's time for a diffrent approach. Sometimes you gota' hit the mule between the eyes to get it's attention.
I have to agree with Dwilli here. I had to cancelled the long trip I bought the '07 FJR for (rather than waiting for the '08), and won't have a chance to ride for the next few months, so am not in a hurry to get this fixed anymore. But yes, I've only been nice trying to resolve this issue with zero success. Unfortunately, in many companies, you don't get past the front desk until you start getting 'rowdy'. The trick IMO is once you get past that wall, you need to start nice again with the next person, who presumably is higher up in the company. Then repeat as necessary.

This time I'll continue to be nice for a while and see what happens :rolleyes: . Later.

JC

Last edited by a moderator:
You know, it couldn't hurt to have one or more sufficiently motivated FJR owners tear Yamaha a new asshole or two in court.
Sure it could hurt the cause!

It's rare that one is successful in tearing new orifices in court. They often only chafe the existing one...and instead of the chafee actually fixing things....they end up spending the money on ointment lawyers instead.

You know, it couldn't hurt to have one or more sufficiently motivated FJR owners tear Yamaha a new asshole or two in court.
Sure it could hurt the cause!

It's rare that one is successful in tearing new orifices in court. They often only chafe the existing one...and instead of the chafee actually fixing things....they end up spending the money on ointment lawyers instead.
Gunny! You also risk the company pulling its line from our market. Suing people is not the way to go on these types of issues.

I said it once and I'll say it again: Be as one and bring your issue directly to Yamaha. If dozens of owners express their concern and dissatisfaction over this issue, you will bring about your desired results much more quickly. Quit yapping about it here, get together and bring the discussion to Yamaha directly.

I said it once and I'll say it again: Be as one and bring your issue directly to Yamaha. If dozens of owners express their concern and dissatisfaction over this issue, you will bring about your desired results much more quickly. Quit yapping about it here, get together and bring the discussion to Yamaha directly.
Unusual words of wisdom from our Gerbil loving friend. :****:

You know, this is my advice. Worth what you have paid for it.

You all need to organize better and take more definite, and at this time, non-hostile action. This is what I recommend: Sart a letter writing campaign that you must ALL participate in. And when writing letters, keep the emotion out of it, and be firm and factual. I would recommend a loose form letter with room for some variation for each writer's specifics. Now the big question - whom to send the letters to? Somebody will have to do some research, but off the top of my head............

Pres of Yamaha USA, Maybe some VPs in there as well (Head of Customer Service). Copy to dealer. Copy to NHTSA. And copy to your state's cosumer protection division (lemon laws) or something similar.

In general, state:

-What the problem is that is occurring (Be detailed but more importantly brief here)

-That not only is it ridiculous for a brand new motorcycle to be running so poorly, but it is UNSAFE. Describe how and why.

-That it is completely unacceptable to you to have a new motorcycle that is so flawed. In other words, you can't keep this motorcycle. Yamaha needs to fix it, or replace it with one that works or buy it back. Period. And quickly as you have dealt with this for long enough with no resolution.

-Steps you have taken so far (with dealer, corporate Yamaha) to try and resolve the problem

-That you have been extremely disappointed in how Yamaha has been handling your problem - no communication, bad information, denial by dealer of problem, ect.....

- BRIEFLY ,and keeping emotion in check, describe how the problem has effected you, any planned trips, and your faith in the Yamaha corporation.

Be business like, professional, detailed, and yet succinct.

- Oh, and don't mention one single thing about it being a problem with other FJRs. That will be obvious when several dozen letters are sent. Stick to the facts about your own individual case.

Yamaha corporate getting bunch of physical, paper letters (that have also been sent to other gov't agencies), all within a couple weeks is going to get a lot more attention than phone calls to different low level customer service techs, and dealers that don't give a crap.

Oh, and each one of you should send a copy of the letter to all the major magazines too. And of course let Yammie know you are doing this.

So why doesn't somebody come up with a good form letter here on the forum that you all could use as a base template and modify slightly with your own personal experiences. Then within a week or two, ALL of you send them out.

Organize folks! Take your fight to them in way they can't ignore, but still be calm and reasonable.

What I have described shouldn't be that hard to do, nor take too much effort and time. Yet I think it could be an effective tool to get some action, and will make you all feel better at the same time.

I am challenging you all to take a few minutes to do something proactive about your problem instead of taking the easy way out of coming here or calling some peon Yammie customer service tech and complaining, or venting about the issue.

So who's up for the challenge?

Not me....I don't own a "surger".

edit:......but, she may become a "ticker".

Unusual words of wisdom from our Gerbil loving friend. :****:

--snip--

Oh, and each one of you should send a copy of the letter to all the major magazines too. And of course let Yammie know you are doing this.

--snip--

I think those are excellent ideas. And especially sending copies to other interested parties. One way to convey this is to use the standard "cc:" at the bottom of the letter and list everyone else that's getting a copy of the letter.

I'm not in a position to write the letter because I've only had my 07 for less than a month/1000 miles and I haven't headed for the hills yet. Maybe I need to run up into the nearby mountains to see what this surging is all about. Then I can write the letter with conviction.

Thanks for the kick in the keester, Skooter! You're right, we need to organize like Walmart union... er, bad example. Anyway, looks like Masato Adachi was just named president of Yamaha Motor Corp. USA at the '08 model unveiling.

Mailing Address: 6555 Katella Avenue, Cypress, California (CA), 90630, US

Tel: +800 962 7926

Ok, who wants to write the form letter?

You all need to organize better and take more definite, and at this time, non-hostile action. This is what I recommend: Sart a letter writing campaign that you must ALL participate in. And when writing letters, keep the emotion out of it, and be firm and factual. I would recommend a loose form letter with room for some variation for each writer's specifics. Now the big question - whom to send the letters to? Somebody will have to do some research, but off the top of my head............
Pres of Yamaha USA, Maybe some VPs in there as well (Head of Customer Service). Copy to dealer. Copy to NHTSA. And copy to your state's cosumer protection division (lemon laws) or something similar.

In general, state:

-What the problem is that is occurring (Be detailed but more importantly brief here)

-That not only is it ridiculous for a brand new motorcycle to be running so poorly, but it is UNSAFE. Describe how and why.

-That it is completely unacceptable to you to have a new motorcycle that is so flawed. In other words, you can't keep this motorcycle. Yamaha needs to fix it, or replace it with one that works or buy it back. Period. And quickly as you have dealt with this for long enough with no resolution.

-Steps you have taken so far (with dealer, corporate Yamaha) to try and resolve the problem

-That you have been extremely disappointed in how Yamaha has been handling your problem - no communication, bad information, denial by dealer of problem, ect.....

- BRIEFLY ,and keeping emotion in check, describe how the problem has effected you, any planned trips, and your faith in the Yamaha corporation.

Be business like, professional, detailed, and yet succinct.

- Oh, and don't mention one single thing about it being a problem with other FJRs. That will be obvious when several dozen letters are sent. Stick to the facts about your own individual case.

Yamaha corporate getting bunch of physical, paper letters (that have also been sent to other gov't agencies), all within a couple weeks is going to get a lot more attention than phone calls to different low level customer service techs, and dealers that don't give a crap.

So why doesn't somebody come up with a good form letter here on the forum that you all could use as a base template and modify slightly with your own personal experiences. Then within a week or two, ALL of you send them out.

Organize folks! Take your fight to them in way they can't ignore, but still be calm and reasonable.

What I have described shouldn't be that hard to do, nor take too much effort and time. Yet I think it could be an effective tool to get some action, and will make you all feel better at the same time.

I am challenging you all to take a few minutes to do something proactive about your problem instead of taking the easy way out of coming here or calling some peon Yammie customer service tech and complaining, or venting about the issue.

Well, you were doing good there for a moment when you recognized my brilliance, but I have issues with your method here, skoot...

First, you recommend a 'non-hostile' approach. Great, fine, that's the way to go, but then you suggest hostile acts or words as highlighted in red. :dntknw:

Might I suggest that first you (those with the issue) write to Yamaha without copying everyone and their brother? That is hostile if at first you don't allow Yamaha to address your FIRST letter. If they fail to respond positively, then by all means copy those others with your follow-up comment and include a copy of your first letter, and Yamaha's response, if any. Further, address your letter to ONLY the first person in the chain of command - in this case, I'd say the head of customer service. In today's corporate society, and especially one that must answer to Japanese bosses (ultimately), this is proper etiquette and will see your letter getting passed up the chain. In other words, let the appropriate individual handle the problem using the corporate guidlines he/she has at their disposal. And leave the accusatory words for later, too. 'Flawed', 'ridiculous', etc. really don't belong in an introductory letter of this nature.

Otherwise, your normally mushy gray matter has barfed up some very good points - as hard as that is to believe or for me to admit. ;)

Anyway, looks like Masato Adachi was just named president of Yamaha Motor Corp. USA at the '08 model unveiling.
Excellent.

The link you gave provides an excellent quote to include in your letters:

We must continue to produce excellent products, we must ensure our dealers are excellent in every aspect of how they deal with Yamaha’s customers and we must focus on maintaining the millions of loyal and satisfied customers that our company enjoys.

A list of Yamaha Motor Corp names can be found on this website: https://center.spoke.com/

You'll need to create an account (it's free), then search on "yamaha motor" to get the list. The emailing convention they appear to use is: firstname underscore lastname at yamaha-motor dot com.

I think someone else already pointed this out, but Motorcycleusa already ran a story in July about an ECU fix on the R1 following a review in May that revealed a flat spot at 5,500 rpms in 2nd gear. I propose we notify Yammie that we'll send Motorcycleusa.com copies of our letters. I also know CycleWorld is about to publish their long-distance review of the '07 AE. That might be another good one to start with.

Just a thought....maybe a bad one?

As the surging problem symptoms are the same with all the afflicted bikes, could this all be written up and put on some form of electronic petition?

Have the bike owners ad there name, bike serial etc, and then submit it to the powers that be?

Is there such a thing as an Electronic Petition?

Kirk in California

Is there such a thing as an Electronic Petition?
Alternatively, one could set up a poll on this forum with a "Yes. Include me, I'm an '07 owner with surging problems." and I could at least translate to display name on the back end.

Alternative to the alternative is somebody could start a thread and people that wish to participate could reply with their real names....or PM a designated contact with their details and affirmation to be included in the mail.

Hi Folks!

Just some thoughts. This is my first chime in about this.

Even if Yamaha does come up with a fix, what kind of damage has been done to our bikes? Especially ones that have been ridden through altitude during the break in (like mine). Problems could develope as the miles rack on since the bikes have been running way too lean or rich. Once they're out of warranty they will tell us to go away.

If the fix does not actually correct the issue, we are all back to square one trying to prove it again. Who is excited about that prospect? I believe it is likely.

I too have been fighting with them for months to no avail. They are banking that we will not file Lemon Law suits and just continue waiting. They have already had to issue refunds to forum members that went the Lemon Law route. Those members were told to "keep quiet" about it as part of the settlement.

Just a note: In California we do not pay attorney fees for Lemon law. No, I'm not a lawyer.

Yamaha does not want this going public. They are doing everything they can to prevent that by telling us not to disclose things to others. How many times have you read that on these threads?

How much attention do you think we would get by going public? Organizing pickiting at dealers (all the dealers would be screaming to Yamaha!), newspapers, T.V. etc. Anything to get the word out there.

I understand that many are content to wait. Personally, I've had it! I tried to play nice for months, got nowhere and was treated like an idot (not far from the truth, but they didn't have to remind me!).

If anyone in Califonia would like to talk, please contact me.

Just another opinion, worthless as it may.

I wish everyone the best no matter how you proceed!

Only 26 complaints so far to the NHTSA for 07 FJRs.

If you own an 07 please consider filing a complaint.

If it is a design problem it will effect all 07 models.

NHTSA

I can't link to the results page you'll have to use the search.

Hi Folks!Just some thoughts. This is my first chime in about this.

Even if Yamaha does come up with a fix, what kind of damage has been done to our bikes? Especially ones that have been ridden through altitude during the break in (like mine). Problems could develope as the miles rack on since the bikes have been running way too lean or rich. Once they're out of warranty they will tell us to go away.

If the fix does not actually correct the issue, we are all back to square one trying to prove it again. Who is excited about that prospect? I believe it is likely.

I too have been fighting with them for months to no avail. They are banking that we will not file Lemon Law suits and just continue waiting. They have already had to issue refunds to forum members that went the Lemon Law route. Those members were told to "keep quiet" about it as part of the settlement.

Just a note: In California we do not pay attorney fees for Lemon law. No, I'm not a lawyer.

Yamaha does not want this going public. They are doing everything they can to prevent that by telling us not to disclose things to others. How many times have you read that on these threads?

How much attention do you think we would get by going public? Organizing pickiting at dealers (all the dealers would be screaming to Yamaha!), newspapers, T.V. etc. Anything to get the word out there.

I understand that many are content to wait. Personally, I've had it! I tried to play nice for months, got nowhere and was treated like an idot (not far from the truth, but they didn't have to remind me!).

If anyone in Califonia would like to talk, please contact me.

Just another opinion, worthless as it may.

I wish everyone the best no matter how you proceed!
You also need to research the Lemon Laws in your State. There is a time frame/mileage limit and several other factors that must be meet. The ones I looked at had a one year limit.

A few things:

Should we let Mr Pugh know that we're contacting NHSTA?

Mr. Tom Pugh

Government Relations Department Manager

6555 Katella Avenue

Cypress, California 90630

Phone: 714-761-7807

Fax: 714-229-7944

[email protected]

I will file a complaint with the NHSTA this evening. My '07 has exhibited the surge issue, but I have not handed it over to a dealer yet. I have a trip planned next week, but also have an appointment scheduled at the dealership when I return. So, I may be lagging a bit behind in the letter to Yamaha.

I don't think picketing a dealership would help, but contacting magazines (particularly reviewers) would. We're too few to do any good outside a dealership.

Will keep digging for Yamaha names and contact info to post here in a single list soon.

I am all for a letter writing campaign, but I am not willing to spend one penny more to get Yamaha to make good on a motorcycle that I bought in good faith (based mostly on my experience with the first FJR I owned--2003). It's still in warranty, for crying out loud! I have filed a complaint with the NHTSA and have informed the dealership where I bought the bike that I have done so. By the way, this is what I sent to the staff of the dealership:

"This is to inform you that I have filed a complaint with the National

Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) concerning the fuel injection

system problem that I have been experiencing with the 2007 Yamaha FJR1300A

that was purchased from your dealership on March 17, 2007.

VIN: JYARP15E17A002501

NHTSA ODI Number: 10203505"

Only one person at the dealership replied with these words:

"Thank you for the update. Hope you have a wonderful day."

Assholes, I guess. My main motivation for doing that was because when I went to the dealership with the problem and asked one of the co-owners to place a call to Yamaha on my behalf explaing the problem I was having, he did not do it. This was verified the day I called Yamaha myself. I asked and they said there had been no contact with them concerning my bike.

What I plan to do next is take the bike back to the dealership and tell them once again about the problem I'm having and tell them I want it repaired under warranty. What they do about that is going to be between them and Yamaha. If they tell me that it can't be repaired, then I will ask them for my money back or another motorcycle; and, it's just got to be an FJR, don't you know?

If I don't get satisfaction that way, well...then I may be forced to invoke the lemon law that Mississippi has. I'd be willing to spend some money at that point because the way our law is written, the dealership or Yamaha will be responsible for legal fees.

Does this sound logical? Am I missing something? Even though my dealership and I aren't on good terms anymore, they are still obligated to try and repair it under warranty.