Are the PR4's living up to their billing?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Top_Speed1

Panama Canal Crosser
Reaction score
They (Michelin PR4 Tires) have now been out long enough to get some feedback in the ST world. So far it's mixed at best from what I have seen and learned. Majority claim the so called 20% additional mileage (over the PR3) is not so. Also the grip and feel in tight corners is not as planted either. hmmm?!

I guess I may look (back) into the good old PR2's with less siping and rain grip (since I never ride in water anyway) ;) , but overall I likey the much better wear. The grip on the PR2's is just 'OK' and acceptable for me.

PR4....

PR4-4050mi-X3.jpg

Mods: I tried to start this in NEPRT but it wouldn't let me. Feel free

KJ, good luck locating PR2's. Try a set of the Bridgestone T30 GT's...I like them so far...mileage still remains to be seen.

I ordered a set of PR4's yesterday and will let the forum know what I think of them after my trip to Sonora later this month. I am not a critic of any tires I have had on my bike, but I am also not one to ride beyond my abilities. I didn't like the front tire when I ran PR3's but I think that both the 3's and 4's are prettier than the other tires. Just thought I would give the 4's a try.

KJ, good luck locating PR2's. Try a set of the Bridgestone T30 GT's...I like them so far...mileage still remains to be seen.
Wish u woulda showed me at SEO.. but whooda thunk it when we had all dem beers to dwink.

Light up that gar that I gave u?

Last edited by a moderator:
Wish u woulda showed me at SEO.. but whooda thunk it when we had all dem beers to dwink.

Light up that gar that I gave u yet?
It's in the humidor...trying to bring that one back to life.

Did you have that thing in the junk drawer since the wedding you got it at 8/13?

i'm also running the T30 GTs and have been happy with them. i only have about 1200 miles on them but they are wearing nicely.

i have a suspicion that the ramble may cause them to wear out prematurly.

i'm also running the T30 GTs and have been happy with them. i only have about 1200 miles on them but they are wearing nicely.

Steve, between the Ramble, the Appalachian Camping meet in Cruso, NC at the end of the month, and any other trips this summer. I think I may need another set of tires before NAFO in September.

Light up that gar that I gave u yet?
It's in the humidor...trying to bring that one back to life.

Did you have that thing in the junk drawer since the wedding you got it at 8/13?
Yupp! It was hand rolled at the wedding for me by a very cute hott woman maybe in her late 40's... I'd say smell it but that's probably long gone lol. So, I put it away thinking about you 'gar el'experto aficionados. Back in my day, I prolly would of packed it full of some CO. rocky mtn high ;)

I recently (last 2 weeks) ordered and received set of PR2s from DerbyCycles.com $269 for the pair with free shipping. The front tire has date code from 2014. The rear was from 2011.

I don't have anything to compare them to, but the wear on my PR4s isn't that bad. I put them on the day I brought it home after buying it used and the factory Metzelers were shot.
I did notice a little bit of an odd wear (cupping) on the front tire, so i upped the pressures from 36/40 to 40/42 about 800-1000 miles ago.

This was today at 5600 miles in 6 weeks.

IMG_20140513_142908.jpg
IMG_20140513_142924.jpg

for the life of me and close to a million miles under my belt..i don't understand how someone can wear out a tire in 4K miles on a bike like the FJR, unless they are running it on the track.
uhoh.gif

for the life of me and close to a million miles under my belt..i don't understand how someone can wear out a tire in 4K miles on a bike like the FJR, unless they are running it on the track.
uhoh.gif
On the three FJRs I've owned I don't think I have ever gotten over 5K out of a front or rear. I currently am running a pair of PR2s with 2400 miles and I'm not sure if I dare take off on them for SW-FOG in two weeks. I just don't know if I can get the needed 6500 to 7000 total miles out of them to complete the trip.

On the three FJRs I've owned I don't think I have ever gotten over 5K out of a front or rear. I currently am running a pair of PR2s with 2400 miles and I'm not sure if I dare take off on them for SW-FOG in two weeks. I just don't know if I can get the needed 6500 to 7000 total miles out of them to complete the trip.
If you never get more than 5K out of a set, changing them won't help. So run'em, and prepare for a change mid-trip.

It sort of boggles my mind the variance in mileage ppl report from tires. I just took my stockers off my 13 with over 8K on them. Last set of PR2's went 15K. Similar out of PR3's.

Just had a set of PR4's spooned on in Columbus at the ramble (those stockers went away FAST at end of life!)

I don't have anything to compare them to, but the wear on my PR4s isn't that bad. I put them on the day I brought it home after buying it used and the factory Metzelers were shot.I did notice a little bit of an odd wear (cupping) on the front tire, so i upped the pressures from 36/40 to 40/42 about 800-1000 miles ago.

This was today at 5600 miles in 6 weeks.

IMG_20140513_142908.jpg
IMG_20140513_142924.jpg
They look great for that mileage. Looks like a winner.

Steve, between the Ramble, the Appalachian Camping meet in Cruso, NC at the end of the month, and any other trips this summer. I think I may need another set of tires before NAFO in September.
I ordered a new set of T30's I will be running them for NAFO/EOM. After SEO I will pretty much do this set of PR3's in. The back will go into storage for a late or early season tire.

If you never get more than 5K out of a set, changing them won't help. So run'em, and prepare for a change mid-trip.

It sort of boggles my mind the variance in mileage ppl report from tires. I just took my stockers off my 13 with over 8K on them. Last set of PR2's went 15K. Similar out of PR3's.

Just had a set of PR4's spooned on in Columbus at the ramble (those stockers went away FAST at end of life!)
I anticipate the SW FOG trip will be under 5000 miles. I know a new set will make the trip, I just question the current PR2s with 2400 miles with one day on the track for Advanced rider school. I think I will go with every ones milage experience with PR2 and run them and stop worrying. Best thing that could happen is returning to ND on the cords.
punk.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
I got the FJR as a sport touring bike heavy on the touring part. I'm a long distance rider not a sport rider, looking for something with more power for the long hauls than my 92 BMW K75. The FJR definitely fit the bill. If I'm riding across the country, I don't want to have to stop and change tires along the way, so I'm looking at options and watching topics like this one.
So far, I like the PR4. It's been good in the dry and wet, and have full confidence it's a better tire in the turns than I am a rider. Hope this helps.

Latest posts