Are the PR4's living up to their billing?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
for the life of me and close to a million miles under my belt..i don't understand how someone can wear out a tire in 4K miles on a bike like the FJR, unless they are running it on the track.
Some of us ride a spirited pace, in the mountain twisites using your gears to control your corner speed eats tires real quick. That and blasting across Nevada at dbl posted in the heat tends to eat up the center real quick.

Yeah, was talking to someone about the PR4 and he said the 2 biggest factors in tire wear were acceleration and braking. The 2 things the FJR is good for, and part of it's fun factor. It's just a matter of finding the right balance between fun and wear rate.

Go easy on the right wrist to save the rear tire. Slowly in on the curves to save the front.
Killjoy.
tonguesmiley.gif

My son-in-law just mounted a set of PR4s on his Honda. He likes them a lot, but he never tried the other PRs so he can't compare. He said the front tire does like to follow grooves and imperfections in the road, and that was my main complaint with the PR3s. He doesn't mind it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Go easy on the right wrist to save the rear tire. Slowly in on the curves to save the front.
Gospel truth but boy is it easier said than done.
Impossible. Can't be done. Have tried for almost 50 years of riding (turning 70 this year) and motorcycles just won't go that slow. I get an average of 7500 on the various major brands and don't expect much better on the PR4's that went on last week. My 20000 mi ride this fall should go thru 3 sets of tires and I'm thinking of staging them along the route.

Wow, I must be the odd man out. I've had 4 sets of PR2's go from 12K to 14K. I just put a set of PR4's on and I'll keep an eye on the wear. I must be a wimp! Although, I accelerate like a bat out of Hell from a stop light until I level off. That way, everybody is waaaay behind me. That's my Weeeeeeee moment! :))

ABCIndy, on 13 May 2014 - 15:15, said:
I got the FJR as a sport touring bike heavy on the touring part. I'm a long distance rider not a sport rider, looking for something with more power for the long hauls than my 92 BMW K75. The FJR definitely fit the bill. If I'm riding across the country, I don't want to have to stop and change tires along the way, so I'm looking at options and watching topics like this one.

So far, I like the PR4. It's been good in the dry and wet, and have full confidence it's a better tire in the turns than I am a rider. Hope this helps.

Since this thread is already in NERPT, I'm feeling free to suggest you look into the DarkSide thread. I think we've demonstrated by now that it is a viable option for rear tire life.

As for the PR4 I just installed a PR4 GT front tire around 1400 miles ago. Did the Manchester ride with Tyler, then hightailed it down I5 to Los Angeles and back to San Jose via HWY 101 and Ca 1 through Big Sir. I can see some scalloping starting at the leading edge of every sipe. It's very slight, however it is there. The tire has been inflated to 42 PSI cold all 1400 miles.

It's interesting, both with this PR4 and the PR3 I ran 2 years ago up front I am convinced it is a noisy tire. All those tread blocks (created by the siping) give it a kind of a rumble sound somewhat like a gnarly off road truck tire going down the highway - Not nearly as loud, but I can hear the difference between them and a Pirelli Angel or a PR2.

Brodie

rolleyes.gif

Since this thread is already in NERPT, I'm feeling free to suggest you look into the DarkSide thread. I think we've demonstrated by now that it is a viable option for rear tire life.

Brodie

rolleyes.gif
Thanks Brodie, got a Yoko sitting waiting for the PR4 to wear out.
coolsmiley02.gif

After 120k on my 68hp BMW, I figured I should get used to the FJR in factory configuration first.

I bought the Michelin Pilot Power 3 to replace my stock tires with only 1000 miles and were unbelievably noisy in the turns. Didn't realize the Pilot Road was a different tires. Being a newbie kept hearing Pilot 3's great tire and so a great rice bought them and then seen the difference. Handling and wear seem pretty good. Except I want to get new tires before a week at deals gap in July. The Powers have about 5 K on them.

Topspeed was at a meeting tonight and was talking to the guys about your BMW ........great looking bike u got. Plus love the tech end of the bike.

Topspeedwas at a meeting tonight and was talking to the guys about your BMW ........great looking bike u got. Plus love the tech end of the bike.
Thanks Jeff!, hey, just don't go and test drive one! (well, unless your wallet needs a major lightening up). Loving the heck out of this bike, so smooth, and it's a night and day difference to my FJR (not sure how the 6 gets better gas mileage also, but it does!?).

I have almost 4K on it now and the crappy OEM Metzler Z8's are almost toast. So I'll be putting new sneakers on her soon.... I might go back to PR2's!!!

20140526_115719_zpsa3748095.jpg

good luck getting them....I've got a set [fatside too] I'll sell you for $1000.

just kidding...

ABCIndy, on 13 May 2014 - 15:15, said:If I'm riding across the country, I don't want to have to stop and change tires along the way, so I'm looking at options and watching topics like this one.
+1 on the darkside idea. After I bought it, I put 2k on my FJR just to get used to it and took the plunge, putting a Michelin Pilot Exalto CT on the bike. 3 years later, I've got 36k on that same tire, and I NEVER take it easy on the throttle or the way I blast through the corners. I'm nearing the wear bars, but I coul take off across the country tomorrow with that tire, it wears like iron... and it's had a plug in it (thanks to a drywall screw) for 24k miles.

Gary

darksider #44

I got 15K miles out of my last PR2's. I accelerate very hard and brake very hard. Problem is...there's 33 miles of droll highway commute between the acceleration and the braking.
biggrin.png

Hmm. I ordered a set of PR4s from bike bandit the other day. Didn't realize there were regular and GT versions. Not seeing an option to order the GTs - are certain size tires automatically GT?

Hmm. I ordered a set of PR4s from bike bandit the other day. Didn't realize there were regular and GT versions. Not seeing an option to order the GTs - are certain size tires automatically GT?
I ordered the GT PR4's for my bike from motorcycle superstore. I think you just have to see who has it as some places may not carry it. I wanted the GT for what they advertise but its probably overkill. The difference in sidewall thickness is probably negligible. You'll be fine with the regulars..

And after 4k miles in a few weeks, mine held up well with just a little wear on the front.

My understanding was the GT is the sames as the PR3 B spec tire. Made for the heavier loaded bikes. Might we worth it for a lot of 2up, but when i'm 2up, it's a kid on the back. Though tool box, aux fuel, etc, about the same. I went with the standard PR4 and except the odd wear on the front that's almost trivial, they're doing well in my opinion. Here's 8400 miles in them this morning.

8400f.jpg
\

8400r.jpg

Latest posts