Audiovox Cruise Control Install Help

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The McCruise servo looks almost IDENTICAL to the Audiovox unit. The only difference I can see is the wiring connection. Not saying they are the same, but the unit housing, size, and even the mounting bracket are the same.

Installed cruise last week.

Put 1500 miles on it this weekend, here are my observations.

It works great installed as directed here.

I followed it step by step, except for the following:

I did not use the canister, & I tapped the hose into the hose to fuel pressure regulator's hose, because it's linked to all 4 throttle bodies, rather than just one.

We rode 2up through the mountains of West Virginia for 4 days. We used the cruise only on highway sections (route I78 set at 79mph on the gps & route 33 at somewhat tamer speeds ...74).

In my opinion, it does not need the canister for this reason, we were 2 up with luggage riding in excess of 1000 pounds at 80 mph. I could hold the accell button & gain all the speed I wanted climbing very steep grades.

What I did notice is the lag in the linkage during set & resume operation. The piece of rubber hose on the end of the cable, adds a lot of take up to the servo's operation. The very good reason that it's reccomended is that it keeps the ball chain out of trouble with the throttle linkage during normal throttle operation. I tried various methods during my installation, but settled at the reccommended method, to insure safe operation.

Being the anal perfectionist that I am, I'm planning on revisiting the throttle connection soon. Others have bent tubing into a spout, I'm thinking that would be a good solution. Ill keep posted.

Here's a link.

And a pic.

RobnDawnFJRSmall.JPG

... I tapped the hose into the hose to fuel pressure regulator's hose, because it's linked to all 4 throttle bodies, rather than just one...
I originally thought of doing this, too. But when you look at the orifice diameter of the nipples which feed the pressure regulator you notice that they are much smaller than those of the TB synch ports.

By adding another capacitive vacuum system on top of that one, I was afraid that it would negatively affect the pressure regulator, causing an overpressure or underpressure in the fuel rail. This would be transient if using checkvalves, but would make an impact when the cruise is running nonetheless. Instead, I used all four TB synch ports.