Auxiliary Cell Design

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looking good Joe!

As for filler cap, Tanji only used that flip top chrome or polished aluminum doo-hickey for the the first two he made. For all the rest, he used a screw on cap that looks like it was custom made. He did this for safety in case of crashes. BTW, he also has a lightweight chain attaching the cap to the cell. This is a MUST imho, as otherwise I would have been without a fuel cell cap several times!

Unfortunately I tested mine in such a way early on but am happy that fuel cell and cap, though not as pretty now, held up fine.

In the below two photos you can see the damage to my Tanji cell after my high-side.

Filler cap:

FJRCrash024.jpg

CB antenna attachment point:

FJRCrash023.jpg

I stopped at the powder coater, but she must have started her holiday early, so for now just imagine a nice black finish. But, at least I finally have a tank! :yahoo:

[SIZE=36pt]-[/SIZE]

Click on the photos for a larger image

Last edited by a moderator:
Cool!
How much does it weigh, btw?
FedEx scale reads 15.05 pounds.

That is nice looking Joe!! Well done my friend.Looking forward to seeing it up close.
It should be bolted on by the time Shane and I head up to Webby's for the suspension connecting arm install.

Maybe the four of us could go out for a burger.

It should be bolted on by the time Shane and I head up to Webby's for the suspesion connecting arm install.Maybe the four of us could go out for a burger.
Sounds like a great idea. Let me know what day are you guys scheduled for Webby's...I'll definitely try to get up there for that.

The tank is attached using two shoulder screws; Yamaha part #90109-06037-00. I'm trying to stick with all metric fasteners. Originally, I was going to go with 8mm button heads, but I liked the idea of using shoulder screws instead and the 6mm shoulder screws used elsewhere on the bike looked like they would work.

This is what the tank is fastened to:

DSC04685.JPG

DSC04687.JPG
[SIZE=36pt]-[/SIZE]
DSC04690.JPG

DSC04696.JPG

Next, I'm installing the fuel pump in the same area that kaitsdad put his. I will use quick disconnects before and after the auxiliary fuel pump.

I've got a few options for the powder coat. I'm leaning toward silver at this point. I think that reflecting some of the sun's radiation is probably a good idea for a fuel tank. :dntknw: I still have to drill one more hole before the tank goes to powder coat. It's the hole for the panel mount ball valve. The hole won't be into the tank, but rather through the skirt where the sides extend down below the tank. I really don't want to put the valve in, but it's probably a good idea.

edit: make that two more holes. I still need to vent the filler neck. As long as I'm on the subject of the filler neck... The reasons I went with Coyote-Gear filler neck instead of finishing the 45 degree elbow I started making for the Pro-Werks filler cap are 1.) expediency 2.) Coyote-Gear sells a locking cap.

edit edit: I'll still finish the razzle dazzle 45 degree filler neck I started, but it will go on a future tank.

Looking good Joe!!

I just got back from Vegas and was hoping to have my new suspension bones waiting for me BUT... They still in transit from Canada.

I will give you a hollar as soon as they show up.

Webby

My first tank has 4000 miles on it now. Wow! It is so cool to flip the switch for the auxiliary fuel pump and watch the bars on fuel gauge climb!

Riding through North Dakota in the middle of the night when all the little gas stations were asleep was a lot of fun. Well, maybe not exactly 'fun' because my fear of deer and aversion to being wet and cold took a lot of the fun out of it.

DSC04829.JPG

DSC04830.JPG
[SIZE=24pt][/SIZE]
DSC04831.JPG

DSC04832.JPG
[SIZE=24pt][/SIZE]
DSC04833.JPG

I just put some cap screws in the tail and cut 1/2" fuel hose. It's a perfect fit on the cap screws and that's what supports the tank in back.

I was running out of time before I had to leave for Nakusp, BC so I tried to get by without running the vent lines. That ended up being a mistake, but I'll correct that soon enough.

This was a great follow up to read. Congrats on your achievement.

:yahoo:

Wish I could run one of those babies but our laws here forbid this "unsafe" constructions until approved by inspection tech. Which will never happen.

Beside I can't see the point as I'm only too happy to make a stop every 200 miles.

But a saying here goes: "Teach a dog to fly and someone will argue he's only too lazy to run".

Here we go again!

I've saved up a little money and I'm going to make another tank. I still think Dean Tanji had a great idea, but it's not for me. I want my tank to mount to the bike with the grab rails (and trunk) in place. I also want to be at the IBR max volume, a (relatively) low center of gravity, and it should look as good as possible.

Here is the volume of the new design superimposed over my current tank. The new one will not be that much taller or wider.

Rev5_7Oct2009_Check-Rev4.jpg

The latest stumbling block was how to mount this tank, but I think I have that figured out. There is room under the seat for a permanent bracket.

Here's a shot showing the volume. (and the grabrail bushings):

Rev5_7Oct2009_volume.jpg

I'm kinda pumped about this one.

Edit: Here's a screen shot of the left side of the tank volume. (after a little more clearance was added for the grab rails).

Rev5_7Oct2009_volume_left-side.jpg

Once again Joe, I've got to say your skills impress me!

Just a quick question: I notice in your CAD rendering that the perspective seems just a little off... the top and bottom planes don't appear correct. Could this adversely affect your computations for true volume? Having watched your fabrication skills here, I know the finished product won't be built like that, but it seems strange that the program isn't displaying correctly.

It would really suck to have a beautiful new tank all ready to go, only to discover it slightly exceeds the IBA maximum! :eek:

Don

Just a quick question: I notice in your CAD rendering that the perspective seems just a little off... the top and bottom planes don't appear correct. Could this adversely affect your computations for true volume? Having watched your fabrication skills here, I know the finished product won't be built like that, but it seems strange that the program isn't displaying correctly.
It would really suck to have a beautiful new tank all ready to go, only to discover it slightly exceeds the IBA maximum! :eek:

Don
I see what you mean about it not quite looking right in the screen capture, but I think what we're seeing is an optical illusion. I would have to print the JPEG and measure the lines to be sure.

I'm not worried about the volume working out. The volume on my last tank was calculated correctly by the CAD software, but I forgot to factor in the baffles.

I ordered some of the materials for the tooling today. Once I have that stuff finished, I'll order the aluminum sheet. The only thing I'm farming-out on this one is the welding. ;)

Edit: Also, something that might be contributing to the optical illusion is the front surface of the tank. It slants back at a 5 degree angle.

Don
I see what you mean about it not quite looking right in the screen capture, but I think what we're seeing is an optical illusion. I would have to print the JPEG and measure the lines to be sure.

I'm not worried about the volume working out. The volume on my last tank was calculated correctly by the CAD software, but I forgot to factor in the baffles.

I ordered some of the materials for the tooling today. Once I have that stuff finished, I'll order the aluminum sheet. The only thing I'm farming-out on this one is the welding. ;)

Edit: Also, something that might be contributing to the optical illusion is the front surface of the tank. It slants back at a 5 degree angle.
It must be an optical illusion, or something with the screen capture, but it does look like the top is angled 'towards' us more than the bottom.

Damn, it almost looks like what would happen if I tried to make a fuel cell!