Avoid a tire changer (Am I out of my mind ?)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's Spring and I figure someone has to be thinking about tire changing. Saw this changer in the Agri Supply catalog and it looks like a (slight) step above from what Harbor Freight is offering. A bit more money but still not up to the Cycle Hill/ No Mar price points. Only possible downside is the listed spec of accommodating 4" to 16.5" diameter wheels yet the advertised review belies that. Maybe a misprint? Might be worth a look-see in person if someone's interested in a set-up.

67530.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I like my cycle hill.

There are some good points in this thread that I didn't think of. I almost didn't read it and was going to skip it. I did jump over a few pages so I may go back through it again. After dishing out over $100 for my first tire change I said no more. And I even took the rims off the bike to bring in.

Dave

Why oh why can't one of you guys with a changer live next door to me. Someday I'll buy a changer but like Ray I still do the dualsport tires with spoons just to keep the craft alive.
rolleyes.gif
I have a No-Mar tire changer. You could move to Spokane and kill bugs there.

Have old style HF unit with the curved metal jaws to hold rim. Simply wrap rubber electrical splicing tape around each jaw before use. It protects the rim and provides adequate friction to prevent rim from slipping. Use the no-mar bar and 2 ratcheting clamps from Lowes to squeeze tire tigether allowing beads to go up into center if rim. This is key to the whole operation. Must have done 50 motorcycle tires and many car and truck tires by now. Once you master technique its really easy. Parnes balancer works awesome too. Cant balance car tires but most of the time get away with leaving original weights in place.

Same here, except my HF has the full Mojo treatment and I have / use both bars depending on the circumstance. I do car tires as well, most are cake to change, but 50 series and lower can be stubborn at times. Always strip the weights and have them spun to keep it smooth!

--G

I have a buddy that owns a Ural and I change his tires for him. The last few times he brought a Baja No Pinch tool with him. I had never heard of it before, but perhaps others here have. Although designed to reduce the chance of pinching a tube, which it does, it is an effective way of getting a bead on without using tire irons and possibly scratching a rim. I scoffed at my friend when he first suggested I use it but after using his a few times I was sold and ordered one for myself.

There are several reviews on You Tube, this was the first to pop up:

https://www.bajanopinch.com/baja-no-pinch-tire-tool/

I have a buddy that owns a Ural and I change his tires for him. The last few times he brought a Baja No Pinch tool with him. I had never heard of it before, but perhaps others here have. Although designed to reduce the chance of pinching a tube, which it does, it is an effective way of getting a bead on without using tire irons and possibly scratching a rim. I scoffed at my friend when he first suggested I use it but after using his a few times I was sold and ordered one for myself.

interesting, i do my own tires, composite spoons, and sometimes fight the last little bit on the top bead.

watching the video, it looks like this could scratch up the wheel pretty good ?? any information would be good, did you order adapters with it ??

i would get a changer, but i don't want to trip over it all the time in the garage.

20690142_1588704907867459_6632823270626318518_o.jpg

Cycle hill from Nomar here, and no regrets. Having multiple bikes, paid for itself quickly in savings on costs of tires online, and I can do them whenever I like.

I know others who spoon, some others use the HF setup, and it's all technique and what you're willing to put up with.

I have a Cycle Hill changer, and I use it to break the beads and unmount the tires, but still use spoons to mount them. I just find it much easier than using the mounting bar. YMMV

interesting, i do my own tires, composite spoons, and sometimes fight the last little bit on the top bead. watching the video, it looks like this could scratch up the wheel pretty good ?? any information would be good, did you order adapters with it ??
In my admittedly limited use of the Baja I had no problem keeping the tool from contacting the rim, but it certainly could happen, It would be easy to wrap a little silicon tape on the business end of the Baja to give some added protection. I think the secret is taking off a little bite of the bead each time. Nibble at the edges instead of planting the tool in the middle of the exposed bead; I find the same approach works best when using tire irons. Doing that, in combination with use of a "Thing" (which I see you have) allows for a controlled use of the Baja and no scratches. By the way, I use two Things. With spoons or the Baja using two makes things much easier.

The standard shaft diameter of the Baja is 20 mm and that seems to fit most bikes I deal with. If I start running into wheels that need a larger shaft, then I'll order one.

I have a Cycle Hill changer, and I use it to break the beads and unmount the tires, but still use spoons to mount them. I just find it much easier than using the mounting bar. YMMV
Ditto for me with the No Mar.

Looks like the No Scuff is a combination No-Mar on the dismount end and Mojo on the mount end. Once you have the technique down, the Mojo lever has never let me down, although with really stiff tires it helps to have an extra set of hands and the yellow thing.

Haven't had much success using the No-Mar lever for mounting. In theory it works well as long as the bulk of the tire bead is in the drop center. If not. it's a wrestling match.

--G

75,000 miles on my bike and only one set of tires lasted much past 5000 miles. I've changed them all with nothing but spoons. I don't want a changer taking up space. There may be scratches on my wheels, but they're MY scratches, and you can only see them up real close, if the bikes clean.

75,000 miles on my bike and only one set of tires lasted much past 5000 miles. I've changed them all with nothing but spoons. I don't want a changer taking up space. There may be scratches on my wheels, but they're MY scratches, and you can only see them up real close, if the bikes clean.
So in other words, the scratches cannot be seen.......?

Theres no reason to scratch up your rims when using tire irons. Just cut yourself up some milk bottle rim protectors to slide in between the rim and tire iron. But, like a surgeon, be careful to count all of your tools after you close up the patient. ;)

Now keeping the brake calipers from scratching up the 3rd Gens black wheels is a bit more of a challenge. Requires judicious application of Carver Tape (aka blue painters tape). DAMHIKT.

I'm sure everyone posting here knows this, but stiff tires can be a LOT easier to mount when they are warmed before installing. So throw them in the microwave for a few..... ha. I try to plan a tire change on a sunny day, with my truck parked facing the sun, and the tires on the front seats. By the time I've pulled the wheels and dismounted the old tires, they're nice and toasty and ready for install.

I use tire warmers designed for use on road racers. They can get a tire too hot to handle; makes a big difference.

Last time I had to use my tire warmer to change a tire, I had to get it from my wife. She calls it a hair dryer and so does all stores that sells them.

Good thang 'bout black, is it's easy to fix...

220px-Sanford_king_size.jpg