Avon Storm AV55 Front

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm at my usual rate of around 40 psi in the front. If'n this tire requires policing of pressure and particular suspension tuning to make it acceptable for my bike, then I don't want it.
The tire threads live on. :dribble:
I was just wondering if 2 lbs more (42 lbs) would change the "feel" of the tires.
If the weather wasn't so bad today, we could have hooked up for you to get some hands on experience of what I'm trying to describe.

Previous descriptions by Ian and Jeff are nicely stated.
I tried a set of storms to run back to to Daytona and back to Utah.

1-My set felt like I was on a cobblestone road at slow speeds. Stopped a couple of times to slide my foot on the surface to feel if it was indeed smooth.

2-A sharp wobble at 30 on accel and decel. Strong enough to shake the bars with a firm grip.

3-To the wear bars front and rear at 7k. I've never had a front go to the wear bars at the same time as the rear.

I'm done with Storms and I'm saving the front 'cuz it has such a wierd wear pattern.
Sounds very similar to what I'm experiencing. :(

Oh...well I'm not the only one to get that thump in the front tire. It didn't impact my turning ability, but it was annoying. I got it replaced under warranty and the new tyre hasn't had the same thing happen.

Sticking with Avon because of the superior performance, but I hope I don't have this happen too often.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh...well I'm not the only one to get that thump in the front tire. It didn't impact my turning ability, but it was annoying. I got it replaced under warranty and the new tyre hasn't had the same thing happen.
Just curious if the first defective tire had any of the 'weaving at speed' symptoms that I'm experiencing?

Just curious if the first defective tire had any of the 'weaving at speed' symptoms that I'm experiencing?
I didn't notice that at all. My ride that day was the twisty stuff up to Grass Valley then 49 to 89 to Truckee and 80 home...we did some high speed stuff and I never noticed anything like what you described. The thump was only on the left side. Just like your description, felt like a bubble but nothing was visible on the tread.

Welp, I just don't get it. :dntknw: My Storms are absolutely dead stable (unless I'm sliding on my side, then they are pretty much worthless) at all speeds and highway conditions. No wobbles or bumps at any speed, with or without hands on the bars. The wear is very, very even and at almost 5k, the rear is barely and I mean barely flattened in the center. They stick like glue, roll-in very nicely and add quite a bit to my confidence level in corners (when I take them properly, of course!)
Skyway and Jeff, are there production numbers on these that you two can compare? Maybe it is a bad batch.
+1

My storms now have about 2k on them (including 1.5k of rough Tejas pebble-blacktop) and they are rock solid. No cupping, no flat spot (yet) and remain the best handling tires I've ever put on a bike.

FWIW, the same opinion is shared by my friends running storms on their BMWs.

All you guys that don't like 'em, send 'em to me.

Skyway and Jeff, are there production numbers on these that you two can compare? Maybe it is a bad batch.
Yes there are. AT8B is the first string, not sure what this applies to, maybe internal tracking info? Second string 4806. The 48 applies to the week, 06 applies to the year. Not a good vintage for me. :(
Just for fun I went out and checked the numbers on mine. The first set of numbers was the same (AT8B) The second set was 4106. A much better week I guess :lol: .

Yes there are. AT8B is the first string, not sure what this applies to, maybe internal tracking info? Second string 4806. The 48 applies to the week, 06 applies to the year. Not a good vintage for me. :(
Just for fun I went out and checked the numbers on mine. The first set of numbers was the same (AT8B) The second set was 4106. A much better week I guess :lol: .

Just another data point mine are:

Front: AT8B-10-2606

Rear: AT8E-10-2706

Which is kinda facked up, mine are newer purchase wise then some of yours yet they are older by 15 weeks.

If I recall the AT8* is manufacturer and factory, or the 10 is the factory and 8B/8E is what ever the manufacturer wants it to be.

I don't have any thumping, or wobbles. Running 40 front/42 rear.

I just find them slippery on painted/wet stuff, more so than I felt from the Metz 06's that the bike came with.

Which is kinda facked up, mine are newer purchase wise then some of yours yet they are older by 15 weeks.
Guess it depends on where you bought them and what the turnaround time is on current stock levels?

I wouldn't complain, maybe just be happy that your tires are good.

I was just wondering if 2 lbs more (42 lbs) would change the "feel" of the tires.
I ran from 38 to 42 psi on the front, no difference.

AT8B-10-4806 is the "defective" front.

My tread pattern looks exactly like TWN's photos. Please tell me that DOESN'T mean anything! :)

I rode pretty hard today on the Stradas, and had my "old bike" back all day long. I am sooooo done with Avons. I'm about 98% certain it's a quality control issue. But my gut tells me that if they were taking the time to put balance dots on their TYRES, that somebody would have a better chance of weeding the bad ones.

:)

My tread pattern looks exactly like TWN's photos. Please tell me that DOESN'T mean anything! :)

I rode pretty hard today on the Stradas, and had my "old bike" back all day long. I am sooooo done with Avons. I'm about 98% certain it's a quality control issue. But my gut tells me that if they were taking the time to put balance dots on their TYRES, that somebody would have a better chance of weeding the bad ones.

Same production week as my bad front. I'm with you on the quality control issues with Avon. Of all the tires supposedly designed for the FJR,(not the Conti's :lol: ) it seems that this brand has the most recurring issue with quality. But when their 'in spec' they work pretty darned good. I too would like to see the dot on the tire as well.

As the saying goes "send all the crap to the USA, they'll buy anything" :D

Guess it depends on where you bought them and what the turnaround time is on current stock levels?

Not really complaining, just pointing that out. I did purchase them from SWMoto, which I figure should have fresh tires given the amount they turn over. Guess not ?

I normally purhase from SWMoto, but when I needed to order his web page said he was out 'whale hunting'. So I purchased from motorcycletires.com in Feb. and got a AT88 10 4806 front. <_< :glare: :blink:

POS :angry2: :angry2:

Not really complaining, just pointing that out. I did purchase them from SWMoto, which I figure should have fresh tires given the amount they turn over. Guess not ?

Just checked my front tire and the digits are AT8B-10-0607.

Tire rides/handles perfect, as I'm still not sure if I'm feeling some kind of hopping or not. After reading all this neg feedback, I think it's all mental. I got it to 120mph and the bike was rock solid.

Personally I'm VERY impressed with the set. If no wobbling or hopping problems pop up, and if the set lasts at least 5 or 6k, I'll sure slap on a new set when this one wears out. The Z6 on the front before this one only went 6k. Never again. Not to mention (AGAIN!) the lack of wear indicators on the Z6 or Strada rears.

Just my $.02

I've also not been impressed with my first pair of Avon Storms, which is especially disappointing sicne I was a devoted fan of the Avon Azaros. The rear went on first and handled well with good traction, but wore out very quickly. I'm down to the center wear bars after only 4K miles, which is about half of what I would normally get with the Azaros. The front went on next and I immediately noticed a low speed wobble, which is most discernable just as I'm coming to a stop. It's definitely jerking the bars side to side at speeds less than 10mph - worse when under braking, but there regardless. Fortunately I have not had any hint of high speed stability, and the bike still corners nicely once it's moving. That low-speed wobble is a little disturbing, though. I haven't yet decided whether I'll give the Storms another try once I've worn these out, or just go to another alternative (Pilot Roads or Stradas?). It's not bad enough (yet) for me to want to pull them off prematurely, though. I'll get my money out of them.

Andrew

Belmont, CA

2005 FJR1300A

I looked on my tire for the numbers you described and can't find them. Where are they located?

GP

I looked on my tire for the numbers you described and can't find them. Where are they located?
GP
Look closely near to the arrow indicator on the sidewall. You will see them there. There'll be a little raised rubber flash from the mold that will be sticking up around the date insert.

I think the issue with my tire is on the left side of the tread. Lean over in this direction and it gets worse. Not as much happening on the right side.

I'm not willing to do that much work. I change tires too often to spend that much time mounting/dismounting/re-mounting. IMO Avon should put a damn dot on their tires like everyone else.
mfg "dots" don't mean squat. i do the match-up thing and often require ZERO grams of weight compared to a pretty consistant 35gms by the dealers who do match the dot. what i've learned is that the dot may or may not be the place for the tire and the valve stem may or may not be the heavy spot on the rim.